"Bendy Bus" VW Doka / 5th wheel camper kitbash

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Well, best laid plans and all that.

Just about ready to go to bed last night when the power went out. I reported the fault but obviously Power Grid thought it was a problem at our end since it was just us.

They sent two guys out anyway but they
couldn't do anything, seems like it's a break in the cable outside. Just sat waiting for the "digging team" to arrive and start hacking up my front garden and possibly the road.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Andy,
The project is coming together really well, nice work so far :thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Andy, a black out and lockdown can be trying so keep patient...I know it sucks when it happens right in the middle of a roll or looking forward to be progressive.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Si, and yes Richard, not ideal but at least it's breaking the lockdown monotony a bit.

Running some emergency power through an extension lead from our fantastic neighbours to keep the fridge running and phones charged

Attachments

• IMG_20200418_104825.jpg
    IMG_20200418_104825.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 25

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Si, and yes Richard, not ideal but at least it's breaking the lockdown monotony a bit.

Running some emergency power through an extension lead from our fantastic neighbours to keep the fridge running and phones charged
At times like these is when you know who to count on. Good on your neighbours. :thumb2:
We had a water disruption just yesterday when we were about to clean house. Good thing it was back on by noon so cleaning differed to today.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
I feel your pain with the power problem. Last year we had a water leak. The water company notified us that we were using many times our usual water consumption. The leak was identified as being on our property, under the front garden, so our responsibility. We had also just paid out £6.5K for a new block drive. Anyway it turned out the leak was actually under a gravelled area and the guy who came to do the repair was brilliant and we had insurance but worrying nevertheless.
All the best.
Jim

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7181

I haven't even thought about who's liable for the cost of this Jim, not me I hope lol.

It's got to be done either way of course, and the hole is now massive. They've found the gas main by the look of it, but they're still digging :smiling5:

Reactions: JR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
It's no fun being in the dark and I too hope you get your power restored soon Andy...

By chance, did you use the electric bill money to buy new kits and stuff??? Just wondering……......

D

Deleted member 7181

The hole keeps growing, we could now get a car into it!

They have now cut off the electricity to the whole street while they splice in a new length of cable so I think the neighbours will be more disgruntled than excited right now. Hopefully it'll be back on in a couple of hours

Attachments

• IMG_20200418_140248.jpg
    IMG_20200418_140248.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 31
D

Deleted member 7181

It would make a decent plunge pool, maybe we'll keep it :smiling5:

Back up and running now but it'll be a few days before they come back to fill in the hole and repair our drive. We have a delivery of railway sleepers coming on Monday, might be a bit tricky now!

Sorry for the diversion, back to the build shortly :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

I didn't really end up getting much done today with the drama so here are a few pictures of the rear body in primer. As my own worst critic, even I think it's not too shabby to say it's a jigsaw of multiple pieces!

Sorry about the picture but the window cut out went well, joints & seams have covered okay and the prominent body line below the windows is pretty straight

Lh8etEN.jpg

Around 8 or 9 pieces grafted together here. Happy with that.

Rikfhrg.jpg

Relocated petrol flap, scribed using a bit of PE fret, isn't entirely level but close enough. Old cooling louvres gone and panel line rescribed. I had to cement the door closed to have any chance of this section staying square. The oversized gaps were filled then rescribed reasonably well, and the window was cut out. A slight bit of correction is needed under the body line but not as much as I expected.

4iBf8hQ.jpg

Thanks for looking and hopefully I'll have a more productive day tomorrow with lights & power back on!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The bus looks fantastic andy. You would never know it was anything but a one piece body. Cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice bit of sectioning that.
I was out for a drive today and saw a Land Rover, pulling a Caravan made from ... A long wheel base Land Rover! Didn't get a picture as is was driving towards us.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks chaps. I'm just praying that the joints don't show back through when I start adding the (lacquer) paint layers, as I know it can be a thing. Will have to tread lightly with the coats.

Ian, I like the sound of that, but if this turns out well I already have my next "chop shop" build in my head. I drive an Audi S4 Avant (couldn't afford the RS!) and I've seen a few real pictures and videos of them towing trailers made from the back end of the same car. Should be an easier conversion than this one.

First Name
Andy
Nice job Andy I am sure this will be something special. When you are on about a trailer, my mate is an electrician and has a sprinter van with a trailer made from.........................a sprinter van.

Andy.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
They are pretty quick and stable for a wagon. I remember being passed by a couple while doing 220kph on the autobahn. PaulE