Bird Watching a Relaxing Hobby

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Love turtle doves but they are very rare here now. I’ve not seen one for about three years :loudly-crying: They purr like cats, only much louder…..
I haven’t seen as many by the bird feeder this year like last year

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Love turtle doves but they are very rare here now. I’ve not seen one for about three years :loudly-crying: They purr like cats, only much louder…..
The Asiatic cousins are an abundance here. Funny thing, the cats leave them alone. So nice to see the couples just toddling around and sometimes they forget how close they get to us if we kept still.

Cheers,
Richard

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That’s pretty cool Tony. They’ve pretty much colonised London so they’ll spread out eventually. Climate change will help with that as well. Didn’t know they’d got that far north yet though.

I had to get a train back from London a couple of days ago - outside Clapham Junction station there was a tree with probably 200 Parakeets roosting noisily around 19.00 !

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
We got some ice and Sleet this morning Roads are bad the farther north you go towards my work so they told us to stay home No Trucks on the road today. So I’ll drinking Coffee and bird watching. This is the most dives I’ve seen this year. 4B1A9B9B-B107-488D-9FAC-6BFF9F7D5A1D.jpegA44A061C-051D-428F-94EB-D97A24F104F3.jpeg

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Good lookers….Camo works better on the right hand one though ;)
I had reduced the size of the photo so it has pixelised making the camo blend in. They're half the size of regular pigeonsand much slender. Lovely pair with no care about the surrounding cat country.

Cheers,
Richard

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Six Great White Egrets yesterday. The two Muscovys our ours, and shouldn't be in the field. Yes, I'm talking to you two....

3n3b1Ch.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Are they cattle egrets, rather than great whites Dan? Seems the right habitat for them….great whites are usually seen in wetlands. Hard to tell when they are hunched up like that, but if they are then Cattle egrets are quite a lot rarer….. ;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I'd forgot about this interesting thread. Thanks for the reminder Dan!

I took these from our camper window a week or so ago.

We always take a bird feeder with us. Load it up and wait to see what comes along.....

Unmistakable.
P1300510.JPG

"What are you looking at!"
P1300512.JPG

P1300513.JPG

P1300516.JPG

She flew up into a tree....
P1300550 (2).JPG

...only to have this obnoxious creature barge her off her perch.
P1300551.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Are they cattle egrets, rather than great whites Dan? Seems the right habitat for them….great whites are usually seen in wetlands. Hard to tell when they are hunched up like that, but if they are then Cattle egrets are quite a lot rarer….. ;)

I'll look into it. They're pretty big, almost Heron sized if that helps. The cattle are up in the yard so they're wasting their time out there.....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I'll look into it. They're pretty big, almost Heron sized if that helps. The cattle are up in the yard so they're wasting their time out there.....
Great whites are much the same size as Herons, and have very long legs and necks just like them. They also compete for pretty much the same habitat, wetlands, living on small fish and eels etc. Little egrets are slightly smaller, and live in similar areas. Cattle egrets are pretty big as well, but, as the name suggests, live in fields hunting in the churned up mud. They are more easily distinguishable in the breeding season because the Brest feathers are coloured.
8A22A2E6-5AE4-4B8A-890E-48B7CAB749DC.jpeg
Cattle egret….

76613BF7-2B72-40FB-A411-C140E412AAEC.jpeg
Great white and Little egrets…

Cattle egrets are rarer, but now breed in the UK. Go back thirty years or so and they were all rare birds….

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I'd forgot about this interesting thread. Thanks for the reminder Dan!

I took these from our camper window a week or so ago.

We always take a bird feeder with us. Load it up and wait to see what comes along.....

Unmistakable.
View attachment 447918

"What are you looking at!"
View attachment 447919

View attachment 447920

View attachment 447921

She flew up into a tree....
View attachment 447923

...only to have this obnoxious creature barge her off her perch.
View attachment 447922

Cheers.
Ron
Very nice shots Ron. Particularly like the colourful crow :thumb2:

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Great whites are much the same size as Herons, and have very long legs and necks just like them. They also compete for pretty much the same habitat, wetlands, living on small fish and eels etc. Little egrets are slightly smaller, and live in similar areas. Cattle egrets are pretty big as well, but, as the name suggests, live in fields hunting in the churned up mud. They are more easily distinguishable in the breeding season because the Brest feathers are coloured.
Thanks Tim. Having seen them flying ( I may have posted pics on here a while back) I'm pretty sure they are Great Whites. They fly like Herons and are, technically speaking, flipping huge !

/ pic from last year.

x2wVwRP.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yep, that’s a great white alright….I think it was the hunched up stance that confused me….I always think of them as flying dinosaurs, a bit like Bitterns….they remind me of pterodactyls with feathers….

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
View attachment 447971
Cattle egret….

View attachment 447972
Great white and Little egrets…

Cattle egrets are rarer, but now breed in the UK. Go back thirty years or so and they were all rare birds….
Tim. Thanks for sharing some great looking pics.