Bird Watching a Relaxing Hobby

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Thank you Tim. They should have been Buzzards; in fact, they were at least 4 when I spotted them but just 2 disappeared behind the mountain 15 minutes later... probably looking for some privacy.:flushed:
Nice to know that probably there will be some new young buzzards very soon.:cool:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
We get those over our garden as well. They circle round for ages sometimes. Only flying off if I go to get the camera!
We get Sea Eagle fly over once in a while. BIG bird!!
Sunday morning we had ten or twelve Crane just outside the garden, warming themselves in the morning sun after a frosty night.
Surprised how big they are too.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
We get those over our garden as well. They circle round for ages sometimes. Only flying off if I go to get the camera!
We get Sea Eagle fly over once in a while. BIG bird!!
Sunday morning we had ten or twelve Crane just outside the garden, warming themselves in the morning sun after a frosty night.
Surprised how big they are too.
You are a very lucky man….never even seen a sea eagle…..

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
There's some awesome pics of our feathered friends.
I work at a local recycling centre, we have buzzards, the odd red kite and then we have this little fella...

20220319_152822.jpg20220317_171807.jpg

Amazing to watch the silent assassin!

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Wow some great stuff you guys are posting. I have a few Cooper hawks around here they are very good at keeping the Rats and mice population to non existent. Here’s on perched on my fence post right behind the house I took a couple years ago. I love having them around to help with the Rodents. E1C01364-19E5-49D8-905A-13E41BA7758F.jpeg

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
My poor old Mum got a bit of a shock earlier when a sparrowhawk grabbed a collared dove and decided to deal with it on what she calls 'the bridge' which is a bit of raised decking outside her sitting room. I'm amazed she managed to capture it....

IMG-20220422-WA0003.jpgIMG-20220422-WA0002.jpg

Pics aren't the best, but not bad for an 83 year old on the spur of the moment.... :smiling2:

Nick

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well done Mum, my Mum is also 83 and wouldn't have a clue! ( Hope it wasn't one of Ron's :flushed: )

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Cracking shots both. Love collared doves, but not sure I could eat a whole one. Bit big for a sparrow hawk as well. That one must be at the top of his game. :thumb2:

First Name
Noel
The Collared Doves are OK. Maybe a few more Sparrow Hawks in towns might sort out the feral pigeons that c..p all over everything.

A Sparrow Hawk took a Blackbird in my garden about two years ago. A bit gruesome, but that is nature.

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Ferals (real name Rock Doves, by the way) are too fast and big for sparrow hawks Noel….you need Peregrine Falcons. It‘s exactly what they evolved to eat…..trouble is, they like living on cliffs, and there aren’t many cliffs in town……so all the rock doves moved in!

First Name
Noel
Ferals are actually Rock Doves. You live and learn Tim. Didn't realise they were a bit too big and elusive for a Sparrow Hawk.

Incidentally some time ago I watched an interesting program on TV about Peregrines living and breeding quite happily in London on high buildings as Artificial Cliffs.
Like the mathematician character played by Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park said 'Nature finds a way.'

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Ferals are actually Rock Doves. You live and learn Tim. Didn't realise they were a bit too big and elusive for a Sparrow Hawk.

Incidentally some time ago I watched an interesting program on TV about Peregrines living and breeding quite happily in London on high buildings as Artificial Cliffs.
Like the mathematician character played by Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park said 'Nature finds a way.'
Certainly does Noel. There are a very well known TV star pair that live on Salisbury cathedral :thumb2:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Last week the Wren that always returns every year finished her nest under the awning on my Garage door and has layed her Eggs. I’ll keep you guys posted. Last year I just happened to be there when a Crow got her eggs No crow problem this year 186E6F9F-A861-47D8-AD42-2B3E913AC588.jpeg

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
There have always been wrens nesting in our garden - which backs onto a stream ( although it is actually called a river! ) - there seem to be four or five at the moment! I've never been able to get a picture of them - I'm just not quick enough!!
Dave