Blitz AFS Fireman Bust Sculpt ,1-10 scale

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Neil, you’re probably right, the chin is wrong. It could well be a still from “Fires were started” , a drama documentary about the same subject, and using real firemen. It was also filmed in 1943, just before the Trinder film.

edited 18:09....

Last edited:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I re-sculpted the eyes today, so first I had to go all 'Oedipus' on him
IMG_20201103_114005133.jpg
I decided to use 2.5mm ball bearings, which is something I have seen other sculptors do but never tried myself. I had to drill the sockets out to get them sitting at the right depth in the face. I used Milliput for the repairs as it is important to be sure the repair or alteration blends correctly with the original.
IMG_20201103_144734934.jpg

I also added detail to the Brodie helmet and the attachment for the hood. I’ve tweaked the top of the helmet as well.

I re-sculpted the tunic and shirt collars using the triple firm Bee’s Putty, rolling it out like pastry this time, instead of sculpting it in-situ. I was unhappy with the varying thicknesses of the original version.

Thanks for looking

Neil

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
WOW brilliant Neal. Iam rather lost when the mention of 3d printing and some strange named putty something to do with Bees comes up.
Love the tunic and bag.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Doing a mavellous job Neil.His head looks great!!,I use ball bearings sometimes.How are you smoothing the Beesputty?,Brodie helmet looks spot on mate.
Richard

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
WOW brilliant Neal. Iam rather lost when the mention of 3d printing and some strange named putty something to do with Bees comes up.
Love the tunic and bag.
Cheers John
I am quite proud of myself for being into the 3D printing, because I am a dinosaur in most other respects of computer technology.
It wouldn't have happened if not for my work, but even there I can give the youngsters tips sometimes, which makes me feel SUPERB!!!
I'm very pleased with the bag myself, thanks, - I'm pushing my boundaries with this one.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Doing a mavellous job Neil.His head looks great!!,I use ball bearings sometimes.How are you smoothing the Beesputty?,Brodie helmet looks spot on mate.
Richard
Thanks very much, Richard.
I'm using IPA with a brush a bit, but mostly I'm trying to achieve the finish with modelling tools, because I'm trying to improve my technique. I am using those silicone rubber ones that look like artists' oilpaint brushes. sometimes I use them with the IPA. It's all an experiment- especially when you have a goldfish memory like me-just call me Dory!

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Neil - I searched for your image and apparently it is of an actual, injured fireman in a London hospital. My problem is that every time I see one I think of Tommy Trinder. Sorry for the confusion.
No need to apologise Mr D.
It was an interesting diversion, and I had thought the a same originally myself.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Neil

A brave move on the eyes and it has paid off handsomely. The way to check is to look at the profile of the figure, you should see the outer edge of the eye somewhat further to the rear than the inner edge. But whatever I mean you have got it right.
Looking forward to the next steps.

John

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Neil

A brave move on the eyes and it has paid off handsomely. The way to check is to look at the profile of the figure, you should see the outer edge of the eye somewhat further to the rear than the inner edge. But whatever I mean you have got it right.
Looking forward to the next steps.

John
Cheers John, thanks for pointing it out in the first place - they do look better.
It's always good to have a fresh pair of eyes......

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Neil
That is really good. Ball bearings for eyes - well who'd have thunk it :tongue-out3:
Jim