boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
HI John yes she found out yesterday lol that there is a slight hole in the stockin an she said why dint you ask me an id have given you a cheap stockin but youve only gone an cut a hole in my exspensive pretty polly stockings OH DEAR an thankfully i only got a good hard look an by her exspreshion said it all but no more was said as i had my jab yeterday an i felt poorly my exscuse but i said i'll buy her two more packs to make up for it an when the restickions lift ive got to take her out for a meal SO all in all i think i got off lightly lol an yes John thank you for your nice comments on that radar im now fairly pleased with that big radar an the small height finder radar as i had them turning an it looks fairly good so im pleased
ATB
Chris
Sorry for laughing, but I can just imagine the conversation when Jen confronted you .
Not content with taking one without asking, you go and take an expensive one :smiling::smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:
How much would a section of mesh cost from a shop ? Of do you just like to live dangerously .;):smiling3:.
Very cleaver of you to use the jab as a way of getting off lightly.
I once had the look from Christine, that was enough to keep me on the straight and narrow !
Hope you feelling alright this morning .

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Brilliant stuff, Chris.
I just love watching this come together, how you keep track of it is incredible. As if building a ship at 1/72 scale wasn't enough ,you add radio control. And not just backwards and forwards but radar and lights and smoke!
Truly wonderful!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Sorry for laughing, but I can just imagine the conversation when Jen confronted you .
Not content with taking one without asking, you go and take an expensive one :smiling::smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:
How much would a section of mesh cost from a shop ? Of do you just like to live dangerously .;):smiling3:.
Very cleaver of you to use the jab as a way of getting off lightly.
I once had the look from Christine, that was enough to keep me on the straight and narrow !
Hope you feelling alright this morning .

HI John yes feel ok so far an i havnt grown a extra head yet but might need one if i carry on livin dangerously as you call it an ITS OK John for you to have a laugh at my exspence as i should have realised about them stockins exspence
but when i get building something i go into a world of my own an think where can i get the bit i need as when i was building my hms edinburgh i wanted the white top section on a phalnx C.I.W.S an i found it in jens again exspensive lipstick top as it was just the right size an shape so would not have too build it so off i went with it an yes that time i did get a right rollickin an then i had the cheek too ask her if i could have another one for the other side plalxn C.I.W.S SO I SUPPOCE I DO LIKE TO LIVE dangerously lol
chris

• Haha
Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Brilliant stuff, Chris.
I just love watching this come together, how you keep track of it is incredible. As if building a ship at 1/72 scale wasn't enough ,you add radio control. And not just backwards and forwards but radar and lights and smoke!
Truly wonderful!
AN Hello Neil glad you like seeing this built an how i keep track of it well to be honest at the moment on some things ive built i havnt a clue as to what volage of eletric to use on them as it will have to wait till im ready to fit these things as they are all packed away in a box what ive built an sometime if i remember i put on a tag with its voltage an where it goes but it will all turn out in about 2-3 yrs time as ive got too still finish the hulls off then spray them with varnish an then into the test tank to check for leaks an do a hull stress test an so the list goes on
as loads of things too think about but i try an take them one at a time but as ive said before there is still so much that can go wrong as remember ive never built this ship before so its all unkowns at the moments but im sure she will sail in the future but for me now the building is half the fun of getting there
an cheers Neil for havin a look
chris

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
You'll never learn at this rate Chris.:smiling2:
Poor Jen tell her shes has Christine's sympathy.
Not of course would I ever do such a thing.;)

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
You'll never learn at this rate Chris.:smiling2:
Poor Jen tell her shes has Christine's sympathy.
Not of course would I ever do such a thing.;)

NO i dont suppoce i will learn John but ive just wached that tank vid an ive found out im a nerd to model ship building ::nerd: an jens forgiven me about the stocking as she knows she will come out of it best off :flushed:;):rolling::smiling:an jen said to
Christine many thanks for your sympathy an John you would if you could get away with it lol:nerd: haha
THE NERD :nerd: LOL

• Haha

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Lovely work Chris, nice progress! :thumb2:
Steven
thanks Steven yea im makin progress on building bits of the ship but i cant wait till its warmer wheather so i can spray them hulls parts an do all the tests an then i can spray all the bits ive built an then it will come in leaps an bounds an i can then fit all the eletrics an then the model will come alive for me anyway so still lots to do but the main thing is im enjoyin the build an thank goodness ive got the plans to go by but all the eletrics will have to be thought through as there will be several circuts systems but no clue yet till its time for it
chris

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
HI Tony well IT TOOK ME A WEEK TO BUILD but first off i had a good think of how building this P/E radar would be built an yes i first thought id solder it but with me getting the shakes at time that was a no go as the iron would be all over the show an proberly burn myself into the bargain an plus as it was a big P/E unit it would need strenghtening with 1mm brass box section an that means wheight so no go as when building a ship thats goin to sail top wheight must be whatched carefully so i thought right brass is out so i SUPER GLUED in 1mm sqaure plastic evergreen strips to the inside panels so there is somethig to glue too an its light not heavy like brass this radar is bigger that big main search radar on my type 42 an that was in 1/64 th scale lords knows how big this radar would have been in 1/64 scale as its over 4 inches in 1/72 SCALE so its big an hope you can build your mast an radars ok
chris
Hi Chris, I stay clear of those brass kits where you need to have solder skills and a good soldering iron that you can control the heat , my type 42 destroyer had the more modern smaller radar, I was building it to 72nd scale instead of 1/96th to do with getting hold of the scale helicopter couldn't get it in that scale. I left it a long while and when we shifted I got the plan out couldn't ready gone yellow, pity , Yes my ships radar be a challenge as I want the both turning, some small pulleys needed and rubber bands, will need a gear box to gear down , be fun. I have finished actually filling in that big gat in front of the window panels wasn't easy . Take care Tony

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
an window wipers to fit but later on in the build an for now another bit to pack away till im ready for it an here a frontal shot View attachment 415017
HI Chris, wow what I need to get coloured plastic sheets for the flush cabin windows , what is that control panel used for , mine is like , big counsel panel, will have fun sizing down the radar pics to the scale screens on my ship . Tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris, I stay clear of those brass kits where you need to have solder skills and a good soldering iron that you can control the heat , my type 42 destroyer had the more modern smaller radar, I was building it to 72nd scale instead of 1/96th to do with getting hold of the scale helicopter couldn't get it in that scale. I left it a long while and when we shifted I got the plan out couldn't ready gone yellow, pity , Yes my ships radar be a challenge as I want the both turning, some small pulleys needed and rubber bands, will need a gear box to gear down , be fun. I have finished actually filling in that big gat in front of the window panels wasn't easy . Take care Tony
HI Tony glad to hear you are gettin on with your bridge an regards the radars working never use rubber bands as they will perish quite quickly better to use gears an sharfts as they will never let you down on your radars
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Chris, wow what I need to get coloured plastic sheets for the flush cabin windows , what is that control panel used for , mine is like , big counsel panel, will have fun sizing down the radar pics to the scale screens on my ship . Tony
HI AGAIN Tony yes the green stuff is green acetate an its the lightest colour green i could get but a boaty mate says they have blue glass but in r/n ships ive only seen green an how are you goin to make the bridge windows flush ?an the controll panel is just somthing i made up to make it look a bit intresting in the bubble but in the real ship they must have some kind con panel as its there to guide in the landing seakings choppers on to the flight deck
chris

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
HI AGAIN Tony yes the green stuff is green acetate an its the lightest colour green i could get but a boaty mate says they have blue glass but in r/n ships ive only seen green an how are you goin to make the bridge windows flush ?an the controll panel is just somthing i made up to make it look a bit intresting in the bubble but in the real ship they must have some kind con panel as its there to guide in the landing seakings choppers on to the flight deck
chris
HIChris, I be going to the cheap shop to buy a glazed plastic cover that will show that there are cabin lights on the real ship has that not like the bridge pretty cheap only a couple of dollars far better than paying the price in a hobby shop , will still be tricky to fit as some of my ships accommodation cabin windows are double windows and centre bar in-between . Tony

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
You nicked and cut whose what stockings and lived to tell us about it Chris???? :smiling6::smiling6::tears-of-joy: Good to know you're well and alright. I leave SWMBO's stuff well alone and only inquire where she bought them so I can get some myself...I can't stand the silent treatment. :tears-of-joy:

The weather keeping you indoors has produced some good detail work but I can't wait for the hull work and water trials.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HIChris, I be going to the cheap shop to buy a glazed plastic cover that will show that there are cabin lights on the real ship has that not like the bridge pretty cheap only a couple of dollars far better than paying the price in a hobby shop , will still be tricky to fit as some of my ships accommodation cabin windows are double windows and centre bar in-between . Tony
HI Tony well my green acestate was only 55p a sheet but that was 20 yrs ago so dont know how much it is now an becarefull when gluein the glazein in as its esay to get glue on the glass an that will spoil the whole bridge so gently an carefully does it
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
You nicked and cut whose what stockings and lived to tell us about it Chris???? :smiling6::smiling6::tears-of-joy: Good to know you're well and alright. I leave SWMBO's stuff well alone and only inquire where she bought them so I can get some myself...I can't stand the silent treatment. :tears-of-joy:

The weather keeping you indoors has produced some good detail work but I can't wait for the hull work and water trials.

Cheers,
Richard
AN HI Richard yea i must admit now that i was wrong to nick jens most exspensive pretty polly black stockin at least she still got the other one an she has now forgiven me now but the look i got from her when she found out well anartica would be warmer lol

but she knows she will come out better off as ive got to buy her another too pairs if they still sell them an ive got to take her out to dinner so im all forgiven now just gotto watch myself in future as when im modderling i go into a world of my own an if im building something i always look around the house an in jens stuff as normaly she has got just what i want already to go as on my phanlx CIWS one of her lipstick tops was just right as i needed two an i got them in the end
SO yes i should have asked her an will in the future a big lesson learned there

an Richard yes the cold wheather is keeping me from doin the hulls an spaying her in her top colours an the sesseions in the test tank will take a while checkin for leaks an then the dreaded stress test as that involves lifting the whole hull up just above the water an jen helps me an we then have to give the hull a good shake to see an hear if any cracking or hull spillitting will happen as remember the hull is as thin as paper like my nimitz carrier was an that worked out ok but like anything just built there is always weak points an this stress test will show them up

as i always do my tests in secret so if any thing goes wrong it can be rectified as we see a guy come up our pond with a big 6ft long beautifull destroyer model an he put that on the water sailed it out took a turn to starb an it just rolled over an sunk with only the bow stickin up out of the water an boy was he sick an i asked him dint you do any tests in a test tank an he said no an he picked it up with the water flowin out of the hull an he went never see him again which was a pity as it was a very nice model as that the reason why i say with my tiger build there is still so many things that can go wrong so its test an test again like the real ship

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John

Cheers,
Richard
The look, that's what's frightening Richard.1614751482114.png

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN Richard forgot too say there will be several stability tests as well in the test tank for her to pass these she has got to have all her batts in an all top S/S on an then she will be held at nr 45 degrees an then let her roll in the test tank an if she does not right herself in four rolls then she will fail the S test but then i will find out why she failed an put it right (HOPEFULLY) as i havnt had a failure yet but theres always a first time an ive never built a ship so big as this before an yes nimitz was longer an wider but this ship will have so much top S/S on so to get to balance right (phew) what have i taken on here lol
chris

Last edited:
  • Wow

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
The look, that's what's frightening Richard.View attachment 415525
COR John youve hit the nail on the head with that pic just like the look i got but i wormed me way out of it by bribery but just got to watch it in future this moddeling lark aint half dandgerous an exspensive isnt it
Victor mildrew the 2nd