boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
So neat Chris, good idea using the brass as the negative. Most impressive.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Nice progress Chris, she will look great with all the lighting :thumb2: Have fun!
Steven
AN hello Steven this lighting is only the start of the lighting which wil go on her as im hopeing to flood light her like i did on my norfolk but as she is bigger then more flood lights will be applied an hopefully both bridges will be lit up with white an red battle lights an if she goes into harms way then at the flick of a switch it will black out the whole ship but this is all still to come as ive got over 100 white ultrabright leds to fit in the ships key locations
ATB
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
So neat Chris, good idea using the brass as the negative. Most impressive.
HI G/M John cheers for your nice comments an yes i always use 2mm brass box section when fitting a lot of leds for flightdeck lighting cuts down on how many wires i need to fit as there is goin to be a lot
an hope you have a nice day we have just been out for a good walk in the very brisk air an boy was i glad to get back indoors it certainly got the ole blood flowing
ATB
Chris

Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris,
Sorry mate I haven't commented for a while just had a catch up. Outstanding work mate.
AN HI Scottie no need to apolagise as we cant look at everything can we i would never get off the pc an do any modderling but im glad you thought to drop in to see whats happening on the tiger an its getting very complex now so got to do a lot of thinking ahead as ive still got quite a few bits to build but its comin on
ATB
CHRIS

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris looking good, where did you get those lights from, I need two search lights for my ship want them to light up as well, Tony
HI Tony i made them up they are simply 3mm white ultrabright led's fitted into 4mm aluminumum tube an the ends cut off at an angle as thats how the real things are an then the led negative is soldered to the brass box section an a negitive wire goin to the neg main return an a holes drilled through the brass box section for the positive leds wire stem fitted with a very thin shrink rap around the led + wire so it des'nt short out an soldered to the positve wires an then to their resistor's then to the main feed 6v or 12v feeds hows that best i can exsplain it but its a little fiddley to do but with patience it will an has been built an it all works ok
chris

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
HI Tony i made them up they are simply 3mm white ultrabright led's fitted into 4mm aluminumum tube an the ends cut off at an angle as thats how the real things are an then the led negative is soldered to the brass box section an a negitive wire goin to the neg main return an a holes drilled through the brass box section for the positive leds wire stem fitted with a very thin shrink rap around the led + wire so it des'nt short out an soldered to the positve wires an then to their resistor's then to the main feed 6v or 12v feeds hows that best i can exsplain it but its a little fiddley to do but with patience it will an has been built an it all works ok
chris
Hi Chris, wow that is the same way I make my own signals but use plastic tubing same affect and no shorting out with brass tubing, will take some pics of my signal bridges with working two way signals .
Take care Tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris, wow that is the same way I make my own signals but use plastic tubing same affect and no shorting out with brass tubing, will take some pics of my signal bridges with working two way signals .
Take care Tony
HI Tony yea good idea for your two signal lights but im lighting up 12 leds here an if i dint use the brass box section for negatives then instead of just 13 wires id have 24 wires which is more complex so brass for the negs is the way to go for me
chris

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
HI Tony yea good idea for your two signal lights but im lighting up 12 leds here an if i dint use the brass box section for negatives then instead of just 13 wires id have 24 wires which is more complex so brass for the negs is the way to go for me
chris
Hi Chris, that is a great idea using the brass tube as negative , something different, I thought of doing that tried the plastic tube and worked out well, leds are difficult to solder, I must dig out m signal bridges . Work is well under away on my layout, depending on rain if I get down to the shed, take care Tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI ALL well the last pics i posted was of the flightdeck floodlight bar all bein wired an soldered togeather an yes all the lights worked ok but now for the hard bit of fitting them down onto the hanger roof an wireing them up to get them to work from the main lives in the hull as they are very fragile so gently does it as it dont take much to damage the led's in their mounting an yes they are now fitted neatly on hanger roof an they work ok IMG_6175.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN SOME are not yet lined propeberly yet as i will do this at a later date so they all shine down the flight deck
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN now something else new ive made up an fitted this triangle shaped emergecy steering conn an it also has lights inside an opening W/T doors an both these unit can be lifted off as they have their own plug s an mountings ive yet to fit the binicale when i make one IMG_6178.JPG

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN a full rear hull shot i wish i could put everything on that ive made but i will do soon as i have a mate comin over to see how far its got on so i will assemble it then an take some pics of what ive made so far an post them hereIMG_6181.JPG

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm calling this a ship......."Boatman"! :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2::tongue-out: lighting came out the Dog's and looking forward to seeing all the doo dads loaded on for the photo shoot. Rick H.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Nice comfy chair Chris!!

Cannnot fault the skill, hard work and dedication sir!