boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris

wouldn't even know where to start with something like this!! Keep up the good work!!!

ATB

Andrew

HI Andrew well ive done this all before severall times but as the yrs go by its hard to get the good wirein as in my Nimitz I used all steel wire but the wire ive only been able to get is what im usein now an im not really happy with the out come an im ten yrs older now than when I did the wirein in Nimitz so a lot more shakyier getting old im afraid get out the violins lol cheers for your intrest
chris

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Chris,
Good to see this on the go again. Rather you than me with all the wiring. I'm looking forward to watching the super structure coming together.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Chris, if they're steel, they'll be really difficult to solder. I would say they'd be more likely to give a poor joint than the copper. I've used ribbon cable and those D connectors in various applications, including automotive instrumentation and special test equipment when I was an electronic engineer, and never had a problem with wires breaking. A suggestion if I may - use longer pieces of heatshrink, so you cover all the damaged insulation.
Pete

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris,
Good to see this on the go again. Rather you than me with all the wiring. I'm looking forward to watching the super structure coming together.

Helo Scottie well if all this wirein checks out ok tomorrow then I will be makein a start on the super strucksure as ive bought two 5ft x 3ft sheets of plasticard in 1mm thick as got to keep a watch on top wheight so that will be very intresting to build but as i said firstly the wirein but i will be glad when its done an can tick the wirein off as ok (PHEW IM POOPED ) happy new year to you Scottie
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris, if they're steel, they'll be really difficult to solder. I would say they'd be more likely to give a poor joint than the copper. I've used ribbon cable and those D connectors in various applications, including automotive instrumentation and special test equipment when I was an electronic engineer, and never had a problem with wires breaking. A suggestion if I may - use longer pieces of heatshrink, so you cover all the damaged insulation.
Pete
HI again Pete then you may be right about the wire as it did solder easy so I could have gone ahead with the rainbow wire then never mind an yes I like your suggestion about longer shink rap but I would have to split all the wires apart to fit longer shrink rap up to the plugs an doin that now I will proberly cause more breakages so i'll see how the power testin goes tomorrow as I im pooped now but many thanks for your suggestion i'll remember that on all the other wirein im yet to do cheers an happy new year to you an yours
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hello all another small update on the build as I have finished the low voltage wirein harness of 88 wires an they have all been tested with 12v circuit tester an im pleased to say they all passed for good solder joints an D CONNECTOR 'S joint an Pete I think you are right about the wire a pic below of the circuit tester for those that have never used one IMG_4889.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Now the greys passed ok an on these wires I have had to put on yellow tags to say which rainbow wire it connects to IMG_4887.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
both wirein harnesses now these will be packed away till im ready for them to be fitted into the hulls IMG_4888.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
An on this paper the wirein codes so when I come to fit them in the hulls I will just look at this an it will guide me to where which wire is goin where IMG_4893.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
NOW HOORAY
I can now start on work on the super struckture an I have bought two sheets of 1mm thick by 5ft long by 3ft plasticard but before I start to cut it I will have to swot up on the plans of the S/S so I can understand what im building so till then bye for now IMG_4894.JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good job on those wire looms.
Don't know if you already know this but if you have a laser printer you can print the plan out in the size you need as a mirror image, then place them print side down onto the plastic (or plywood) sheet, then iron it with a warm clothes iron.
Laser printer toner is basically a plastic and when you warm the paper the print sticks to the plastic sheeting. Saves a heap of time drawing things up....

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Good job on those wire looms.
Don't know if you already know this but if you have a laser printer you can print the plan out in the size you need as a mirror image, then place them print side down onto the plastic (or plywood) sheet, then iron it with a warm clothes iron.
Laser printer toner is basically a plastic and when you warm the paper the print sticks to the plastic sheeting. Saves a heap of time drawing things up....

HI Ian hav'nt got a laser printer so cant do that but many thanks for the information but I think i'll stick to the old fashion way by drawing the S/S up an cutting out of the plasti card as for me that's all the fun of the build an I like the challenge of the build an workin out whats is what an goes where but cheers all the same
chris

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hey Chris
Very well done with the wiring loom. It looks very complicated to this relative electronics novice and I’m glad everything tested ok.
Moving on, I have to say that is the largest piece of plastic card I’ve ever seen! Looking forward to seeing this boring sheet turned into something wonderful.
Great progress as always.
Cheers, Paul

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Reminds me of the old RS232 connectors. I'm hoping those "steel" wires are not aluminum. Not too tolerant of other metals & water, if they are I'd pot the whole mess to prevent corrosion. PaulE

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Reminds me of the old RS232 connectors. I'm hoping those "steel" wires are not aluminum. Not too tolerant of other metals & water, if they are I'd pot the whole mess to prevent corrosion. PaulE

HI PaulE I thought they were steel wires but pete thinks an now I think they are tinted copper wires an they will be nowhere near the water as Ive used this idea in all my ships an never had any probs as the wires are inside the hull an the plugs are at the very top of the hull so no worryies on that account cheers for your info
chris

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I’m a little late Chris, on this. But probably not that late, with this going to take a couple more years to build. Great work so far, like some have said I wouldn’t know were to start, but watching this from now on.