boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
More amazing work Chris, so different to what the majority of us do.
HI Mick pleased you like the build but its still very rough as I have got a lot of fillin an sandin to do an different well its just that a build like this floats my boat if you pardon the exspression lol but I like lookin through all your builds on here for inspirationan that keeps me goin at my build
chris

D

Deleted member 3568

Just a thought I built a 6' Mississippi steamer in my 20s and I could stand in it and still not sink it enough to get to the plimpsol line in the end I recessed the hull to make it need less ballast. I recon that will need a fair amount of ballast (I realise it's not anywhere near as wide as a Mississippi steamer) even so it will still need a lot of ballast.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Just a thought I built a 6' Mississippi steamer in my 20s and I could stand in it and still not sink it enough to get to the plimpsol line in the end I recessed the hull to make it need less ballast. I recon that will need a fair amount of ballast (I realise it's not anywhere near as wide as a Mississippi steamer) even so it will still need a lot of ballast.
HI Ken yes its gonna need a fair amount of ballast but the ballast will be big batts to power her an when ive finished sailin her I will just take out the batts an she should be a heck of a lot lighter to carry as I found this out on my Nimitz build an that hull was bigger than tigers so I think ive got the issues covered (HOPEFULLY )
an did you take any pics of your steamer as I would love to see them an yes I know a fair while ago but some pics sometimes survive
chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Some excellent joinery skill there Chris.
A labour of love and a very understanding wife .

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Some excellent joinery skill there Chris.
A labour of love and a very understanding wife .
HI John well im not brilliant at woodwork but I like to try my best just as well there is a thing called filler lol:smiling: an yes I do really like building r//c model warships ships as ive been doin them for about the last 30yrs or so so I know a little bit about how to do the scrachbuild in wood .But I must admit this tiger hulls the hardeses I ever treid due to all the curves in the hull but im getting there an yes my wife jen is happy to let me build in my model room as long as I clean up after but I must not do any sandin or F/G in the house so she got me on some things .But i'll just do all that in the garage so no worryies on that account many thanks guys for your intrest in my build
chris

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 3568

Not of that (I actually swapped her for a 250 Honda motorcycle) but this is a smaller one (my brother has it now)
Also some pics of my Waverley (she was 54 inches long)

Attachments

• IMAG1395.jpg
    IMAG1395.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMAG1396.jpg
    IMAG1396.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMAG1394.jpg
    IMAG1394.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF1263.JPG
    DSCF1263.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF1265.JPG
    DSCF1265.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF1255.JPG
    DSCF1255.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 18

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Ken so someone took the boat for a swop of a a 250 honda eh well was the honda ok ? an I had a nice red but later blue honda cm 250 custom an it was a dream to ride those were the days eh but back to the boats the mississipippi it look some very nice model was it electric or steam ? an the waverly was that the paddle steamer that got sunk at Dunkirk ?an thanks for sharing the pics Ken
chris

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Not of that (I actually swapped her for a 250 Honda motorcycle) but this is a smaller one (my brother has it now)
Also some pics of my Waverley (she was 54 inches long)
Hi Ken,
Any more pictures of the Waverley? I took a cruise on the real one about 40 years ago! Beautiful ship.
Pete

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI ALL a few more pics of the hull as today I took her outside an done a light sandin to remove the rough edges on hull an in this pic you can see ive fitted the extra hull formers on the bow to give it the nice upwards sweepin curve an now for the filler IMG_4612.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
it looks fairly smooth the hull does but a lot of work sandin to be donean its time for a cuppa IMG_4615.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN DUE to the length of this hull im pretty sure im gonna have to brake with complete scale an fit a bow thruster as I know the real ship dint have one but I will need to fit one as if the wind get up that big hull with only one rudder will be all over the show so I think i'll fit one for station keepin P1020310.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
An how i'll fit the bow thruster when I get one in tiger like I did in my Nimitz a pic or two of the itemcarrier build67.jpg