boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well hopefully you'll stay on here and keep us company Chris after this is completed.
Any way we all want to see the launch , will Jen be doing the launch with a bottle of Champagne ?
Well also expect fire works, rockets the lot.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well hopefully you'll stay on here and keep us company Chris after this is completed.
Any way we all want to see the launch , will Jen be doing the launch with a bottle of Champagne ?
Well also expect fire works, rockets the lot.
YEA I'LL STILL BE ON HERE John hopefully as its about 3yrs or so away rockets an firework you dont want much do you lol :rolling: :smiling::cool: an yes hopefully jen will launch her but it will be a mini pompane like she did when we launched NIMITZ an we had to clear the people out of the way as they all wanted to lift it into the pond
chris

sootysue

Sooty sue
First Name
susan
HI John :thinking: yes it is very sad as i am :thinking: that also but :thinking: ive had a good run over the last 30yrs or so ive managed to build an HMS TIGER is my 8th ship list below
1. scratch build semi scale small USS NIMITZ model that sailed an 6ft long
2. HMS AMAZON F169 TYPE 21 FRIGATE in 1/64 TH SCALE an that sailed an 6ft long
3.HMS YORK D98 TYPE 42 SRETCHED BATCH 3 DESTROYER also in 1/64 SCALE an that sailed an it was 7 FT 6INCHES long
4. HMS CAMBELTOWN F86 TYPE 22 FRIGATE in 1/72 scale an that sailed an was 7ft 3inches
5.HMS EDINBURGH D97 SRETCHED BATCH 3 DESTROYER also in 1/64 SCALE an that sailed an it was 7 FT 6INCHES long
6. AN THE BIG ONE USS NIMITZ CVN 68 in 1/144 th SCALE an that sailed ok an lenght was nr 9ft
7. HMS NORFOLK F230 TYPE 23 FRIGATE in 1/72 scale an that sailed ok lenght 6ft
8.AN W.I.P. HMS TIGER C20 BATTLE CRUISER an HEILCOPTER CARRIER lenght 8ft
SO all in all not a bad effort John an ive enjoyed all the builds an still enjoying myself so im happy an TIGER will keep me busy till my twylight yrs but you cant beat time im afaid an its running out
ATB to you
chris
You are fantastic boat builder Chris, nimits on the water is absolutely amazing to see. You got years in you yet for building Chris. Xx sue.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
You are fantastic boat builder Chris, nimits on the water is absolutely amazing to see. You got years in you yet for building Chris. Xx sue.
HI SUE many thanks for your nice comments an i wish i had Sue but im afraid im running out of puff as getting on an yes Sue i may have yrs left in me but i'll need them to build tiger then out of puff im afraid how work goin on with you spooky tower ?
ATB
Chris an jen

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Well Chris, just put a little Huff in front of that Puff and Huff and Puff your Ar*e back to work on that Tiger and don't sweat the small stuff. I think you have more steam in your old boiler than you let on. ;) Rick H.

First Name
Tony
Chris, after HMS Tiger is completed as your last build, don't give up on the hobby. As we discussed earlier in the thread, I used to build and sail r/c models (maybe not in the same league as your superb models), made the change to static plastic and getting a lot of enjoyment from them. I thought when I retired some 11 years ago I would get time to sail r/c craft, but a change of interest is something which I don't regret.

Tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well Chris, just put a little Huff in front of that Puff and Huff and Puff your Ar*e back to work on that Tiger and don't sweat the small stuff. I think you have more steam in your old boiler than you let on. ;) Rick H.
YEA Rick you maybe right but callin me an old boiler indeed lol :rolling: :smiling::smiling::smiling: but i think ive got enough steam to see tiger finished but after that who knows as its yrs away yet
cheers
the ole boiler lol

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris, after HMS Tiger is completed as your last build, don't give up on the hobby. As we discussed earlier in the thread, I used to build and sail r/c models (maybe not in the same league as your superb models), made the change to static plastic and getting a lot of enjoyment from them. I thought when I retired some 11 years ago I would get time to sail r/c craft, but a change of interest is something which I don't regret.

Tony

HI Tony no i wont give up on this hobby just sort of scale it down or so but as Rick said ive more steam in me ole boiler than i think i hope lol an cheers for you super comments on my models much appreciatied
ATB CHRIS

First Name
Tony
Talking of scaling it back, this brings back memories of the largest model I ever owned, a Marblehead class racing yacht (58" long hull). Two yachtsmen used to travel to the club with a couple of huge 'A' class racing yachts which they used to transport in a trailer. I took the r/c out of my yacht and fitted a home made vane steering gear as we had all round lake access.

Tony

sootysue

Sooty sue
First Name
susan
HI SUE many thanks for your nice comments an i wish i had Sue but im afraid im running out of puff as getting on an yes Sue i may have yrs left in me but i'll need them to build tiger then out of puff im afraid how work goin on with you spooky tower ?
ATB
Chris an jen
You keep going Chris but just puff a bit slower lol, remember roman wasn't built in a day. All your models are perfect examples of your craftsmanship Chris and each time a model you built must not be build with, "I must make this one better than my last one" as you set your self a higher set of perfection build than the last model. Just build slower as you are slow on puff now just puff slowly. You are only 21 yrs old Chris years left in you jet.
My tower build I've got the base glued together but plans are complicated as some windows are cut out some are not, same with the doors so I'm going to to sort out windows and doors on each buildings separately to use a Stanley knife again ohh. Xx sue .
Hope you are keeping safe & well Chris, jen to .

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
You keep going Chris but just puff a bit slower lol, remember roman wasn't built in a day. All your models are perfect examples of your craftsmanship Chris and each time a model you built must not be build with, "I must make this one better than my last one" as you set your self a higher set of perfection build than the last model. Just build slower as you are slow on puff now just puff slowly. You are only 21 yrs old Chris years left in you jet.
My tower build I've got the base glued together but plans are complicated as some windows are cut out some are not, same with the doors so I'm going to to sort out windows and doors on each buildings separately to use a Stanley knife again ohh. Xx sue .
G/M Sue yes i'll take your tip an puff a bit slower lol

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher

G/M SUE yes i'll try an keep up the puff lol an 21 again are we talking about the same person lol an yes i do admit that i try to reach for a better model each time but thats just how im built as if i dint i would not be satisfied with the completed model but im enjoyin this tiger build a lot an i'll take your tip Sue an build a bit slower if thats possible lol an im lookin forward to your tower build but do please be carefull with that stanley knife when you are building an have fun Sue an be glad when this ole lockdown is over as jen is missing her C/B SALES
STAY SAFE GIRL AN WELL
chris an jen

Last edited:

sootysue

Sooty sue
First Name
susan
G/M SUE yes i'll try an keep up the puff lol an 21 again are we talking about the same person lol an yes i do admit that i try to reach for a better model each time but thats just how im built as if i dint i would not be satisfied with the completed model but im enjoyin this tiger build a lot an i'll take your tip Sue an build a bit slower if thats possible lol an im lookin forward to your tower build but do please be carefull with that stanley knife when you are building an have fun Sue an be glad when this ole lockdown is over as jen is missing her C/B SALES
STAY SAFE GIRL AN WELL
chris an jen
I have cut out two windows so far . I'm going slowly with me knife. Jen missing her c/b sales, me I'm missing clothes shops I need new shoes.
You keep well and safe to Chris. X

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
HI Tony yea im pleased with how this build is goin but at the moment im trying to line up the funnel tube with the steam unit's tube as the funnel tube in the top S/S must be able to lift off so i can fit in the main drive 20 amphr 12v batt an so far its a right bugger as when the top S/S is on the funnel tube cover over the steam unit's tube so i cant see how or where it is for the meet up fittting but i will do it just a matter of patience an getting it right
ATB chris
Hi Chris, yeah I am glad I have only one funnel and that was hard enough to build and not finished, there is at least four exhaust pipes and railing plus a panel at the back of the funnel let in air . also there is the funnel deck to work on .
Keep the good work up Tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris, yeah I am glad I have only one funnel and that was hard enough to build and not finished, there is at least four exhaust pipes and railing plus a panel at the back of the funnel let in air . also there is the funnel deck to work on .
Keep the good work up Tony
HI Tony well have you built your funnel yet ?as if you have be nice to see some pics but i thought you was building your bridge on your ship ?
chris

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
HI Tony well have you built your funnel yet ?as if you have be nice to see some pics but i thought you was building your bridge on your ship ?
chris
Hi Chris, I have just built the outer skin of the funnel haven't worked on the top where most odf the detail is and yes working on the ship's bridge, my captain friend has sent me sent me the pics I asked him to take now can begin work on the interior .Here are two pics of my funnel turned out quite well.90920819_610832389506390_7521883921789747200_n.jpgIMG_0275.jpg20210125_101029.jpg20210125_104808.jpg

Once the bridge is finished will get back to the stern section where a lot of the detail is , will have to scratch the rope winches , there is 5 all up and the anchor winch which is part of the rope winch , will continue work on the bridge tonight.

How isth Tiger going, take care heard you have had heavy snow, does it snow where you live. Tony