Boatmans Super Tomcat F14D Build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Just do something else for a while, you’ll soon start thinking about the Tomcat again and want to continue work on it :smiling3:
HI Jakko yes did that yesterday as sat out in the sun an read a book an today im goin to try an push myself up to the man cave a have a little go on the tomcat an see how it goes i think my probs stem from all the eletric probs on my tiger as next month a norwich pond open day so i wil take tiger there an try out them new leads to stop them R/C wires from melting as the chap who made them said it should cure the problem
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI ALL well i forced meself to go up an have a go on the cat today an im back to enjoyin it with the 60's music goin an here i have cut out the plastic screen in the instrument panels as i want to fit green acetate behind the panels an then lite the screens up with weak white leds so they will hopefully look like they are energised an the plane soon ready for the off but i filed them out but looks like they may need more done IMG_8909.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN JUST give the drivers bay a litte coat of black an no no bang seats made yet as they are not all that big but felt like givin up on them as there are several parts to them why could they not have just mouled them all in one AAARRRCCCHHHHH IMG_8911.JPG

Clever idea ! :thumb2:
AN THANKS Flip will see how they turn out as they should have had decals in them but not for me as they are too tiny an hopefully the lighted screens will look more effective
CHEERS FOR LOOKIN IN SIR
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Amazing work Chris. You have great skills and patience. I don't think I've seen a kit modified like this, working parts and lights. Wel done indeed.
HI JIM THANKS for your kind commens but i havnt done it yet as a lot still can go wrong but i love the challenges to try an go that bit further on a kit an dont know wheather if the lights in the cockpit will be seen much but wont know till i try it eh
CHEERS FOR STOPPIN
CHRISB

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI GUYS well ive been workin on the catty builds I/P 's an fitted some green an orange acetate behind the I/P an i looked fairly good not brilliant but will do as when in the cockpit it may not be seen so a couple of pics an i was paintin the white buttons on the panel when my sis in law turned up to stay for the week end so i got pulled off doin it to make the tea for jen an rose so now got two of them natterin away in my lughole so genaral qauters an switch off my hearin aids an lovely now AH LOLIMG_8916.JPG

An i treid to light up them I/P with a big led 12v as the decal what should have gone in the big screen just splinted so just shone it through the coloured acetate to illiminate the screens but it was terrible an could not get the affect i wanted so im leavein the lights out oh dear
IMG_8914.JPG

Perhaps i could usein a very fine tipped hairy stick i maybe able to paint some lines on the screens but not if i get the shakes lol
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Nil desperandum Chris, I'm sure you'll put it in order!!
HI Doug thanks for your kind thoughts but i know when im beaten so im just goin to glue the I/P 's in place an see if i can get this build movin as its been over two months now an hardly anything done normally i would have had it at least half built by now so im pushin on comments an critisum welcome
chrisb

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Rather than try to paint lines on the screens, what might work is to scribe them with a needle. Are the red and green painted on? And if so, is the paint on the front or on the rear? Because if it’s on the front, then scribing lines with a needle will give you pale lines that should show up more brightly when the light behind the screens is on.

If you want darker lines, you could scribe them as well, then put some black paint into them and wipe that off before it dries. Some paint will stay behind in the scribed line and show up darker when you turn on the light.

Perhaps test this first on some spare material, though :smiling3:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Rather than try to paint lines on the screens, what might work is to scribe them with a needle. Are the red and green painted on? And if so, is the paint on the front or on the rear? Because if it’s on the front, then scribing lines with a needle will give you pale lines that should show up more brightly when the light behind the screens is on.

If you want darker lines, you could scribe them as well, then put some black paint into them and wipe that off before it dries. Some paint will stay behind in the scribed line and show up darker when you turn on the light.

Perhaps test this first on some spare material, though :smiling3:
HI Jakko many thanks for your ideas but no the coloured acetate is glued on the I/P's back but dont know if i can scribe a line in that acetate as it very hard materieral an its may not be seen when fitted in ayway as ive still got to paint all them white an black buttons yet

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
That's looking fantastic Chris! Shame about the light but acetate looks good. I use the green holographic/mirror type wrapping paper for that just plain with nothing on it and it looks ok, see below pic

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240331-082623~2.png
    Screenshot_20240331-082623~2.png
    931.6 KB · Views: 13

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
That’s also why I suggested trying on some spare material first :smiling3:
YES Jakko i take your point but i think i may try an paint a very thin white line on that big screen an then see what that looks like but will use a very fine ended paint brush an Bri that cockpit pic above is james cockpit from his tomcat not mine i cant do it that good im afraid
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI GUYS well just to say im still tryin to build this tomcat but its a rotten fit as ive had to do a lot of filein to try an get bits to fit an im still tryin to fit 2 leds behind the I/P but its not lookin to good an im not very happy with it only hope the rest of the kit fits better or the bin may be beckoning only hope the hornet kit is a better fit
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI AGAIN GUYS well been at that cat all afternoon an now i think i have saved it from crash landing in the bin as its lookin a bit better not great but better as ive managed to fit in the leds behind both I/P an they now light up but as i say not great but enough to keep me building on this big cat but its provein a right trail but no pics yet till i think it deserves it
chrisb

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s OK to show photos of things that didn’t go as intended :smiling3: If only to remind people that not everything always goes perfectly.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
It’s OK to show photos of things that didn’t go as intended :smiling3: If only to remind people that not everything always goes perfectly.
HI Jakko well i 'll rather not chance it at the moment as my laptop is full of junk an cant get rid of over 600 cookies an such so i will only post a pic when i deem its worth it as several times now it wont upload pics as it says no storeage space left but ive found that if i leave it a while then laptop will upload a couple of pics now an then an yes i should know how to sort out my probs on my laptop but i dont im afraid im completey computer illitrate
chrisb