Brécourt Manor

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Going to give a scene depicted in Band of Brothers a go, the 105 battery at Brécourt Manor (or part of it anyway). There is a lot of disagreement about the history of this one, as to what troops were actually manning the battery, but I will allow myself to get away with that detail. The Wikipedia version is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brécourt_Manor_Assault
Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 20.03.51.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-03 at 20.04.07.png

Will mostly involve vegetation, so a new one for me to attempt...any hints and tips along the way will be most welcome. I will try and keep my progress up to date as I go. Very little photographic reference available (none) so going off Band of Brothers scenes as layout inspiration. This won't involve US Paratroopers assaulting the gun positions.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I'll definitely be watching this .
I was lucky enough to visit the site a couple of years ago on a Band of Brothers themed tour. A brilliant day.
As for accuracy, just remember Ron's mantra - it's your model- enjoy!

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Got this to be the centrepiece, and I believe accurate to the particular battery. Part of the Crew are on the way. Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 20.14.08.png

Really struggling to find this kit, which would be ideal: so going to have to modify some figures with maybe a tamiya MG kit or similar.Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 20.17.10.png

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
I'll definitely be watching this .
I was lucky enough to visit the site a couple of years ago on a Band of Brothers themed tour. A brilliant day.
As for accuracy, just remember Ron's mantra - it's your model- enjoy!
Thanks Neil, it will be a very small section, so unlikely I can be called out, but we will see. This will be quite ambitious for me!

D

Deleted member 6559

Oh yes Jack! Although accuracy has it's place, as Neil says, don't worry so much that you don't enjoy it. Really looking forward to following this one.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I'll be sitting in on this one!. Built the AFV Club artillery piece a couple of years back. A real beauty of a kit just a bit fiddly in places. Good luck

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Jack, like Neil, I too walked the field of the action. At 2'oclock on your first picture, where the lane parts from the main road, is a very nice memorial to the American paratroopers who took part in the action.
Here's some pictures I took of the area which might be of interest to you.

The field behind was the siting of the guns....
Normandy  France May 2013 878 (2).jpg

Normandy  France May 2013 879 (2).jpg

As close I could get to the Manor.
Normandy  France May 2013 880 (2).jpg

The actual field.
Normandy  France May 2013 882 (2).jpg

Admin. as these pictures have not been requested by the thread author, and you regard them as unnecessary and not really relevant, please feel free to delete.

Cheers.
Ron

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Hi Jack, the figures are available here https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dragon-6064-mg42-heavy-machine-gun-team--103644# I wouldn't be too worried about the German Regiment but you may need to research the appropriate generic artillery uniform. Also in Band of Brothers the guns are facing inland rather than towards the sea. regards Jim
Thanks Jim, all ordered now, really helpful. Yes I had clocked that one, the trees in the photo's available of the field near Brécourt seem a lot thicker and more substantial than in the series, of course that could be due to the age then and now, but I will see what I can do foliage wise...might be a case of less is more!

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Thanks Ron, great to see, and nice and helpful.

I consider the photo's very necessary and relevant ;)

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thanks Jim, all ordered now, really helpful. Yes I had clocked that one, the trees in the photo's available of the field near Brécourt seem a lot thicker and more substantial than in the series, of course that could be due to the age then and now, but I will see what I can do foliage wise...might be a case of less is more!
I don't think the series was shot in the actual location....

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jack .I shall join the merry throng, I'll be interested in the vegetation.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I'm going for the ride Jack...anything on D-Day rocks my boat. :hungry:

Cheers,
Richard

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Count me in on this one.. sorry I’m late!
Not late at all Jason, barely started.
Jack .I shall join the merry throng, I'll be interested in the vegetation.
Thanks John...please throw any advice in as we go, not something I have attempted before.
Jack I'm definitely in on this one.

Marty
Thanks Marty
I'm going for the ride Jack...anything on D-Day rocks my boat. :hungry:

Cheers,
Richard
Thanks Richard.

Really slow progress so far I am afraid, Want to get the gun done first so I can base other dimensions on that, and as @Steve Jones attested to, it's pretty fiddly. Strange engineering, as there is a fair bit of stress aimed though glued joints, but we are working through slowly. Also, been drafted in to help Dad with a 1:1 project...I am slightly concerned that someone will one day be living in something I have been directly involved with, but there we go.
IMG_1949.JPGIMG_1950.JPGIMG_1965.JPGIMG_1971.JPG

Anyway, gun is in progress, have been playing with Milliput for the first time to see what accessories I can make from scratch. Will have a lot of sandbags to do. Think I have sussed making camo netting from scratch, and these were delivered this morning as well:
IMG_1972.JPG

Hopefully some actual progress for you all soon.

Jack

D

Deleted member 6559

Wow Jack, the 1:1 looks pretty distracting, to say the least. Was the building ever used by the pottery?

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Wow Jack, the 1:1 looks pretty distracting, to say the least. Was the building ever used by the pottery?
Distracting, and very tiring!! Not quite, this section was the old blacksmith's workshop (it was Alan Knight who worked there when the pottery was in operation). The pottery itself was located in the adjoining stables, I will get a picture of it when we start work in there. Similar process of putting a floor in.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jack .Loving the building work, that take both me and Ron Spanner back.

As to the build those brass shells look good. Your lucky to find ammo, I don't think there is any for my build of the Pak 88 at all .