Brian's 1/100 HMS Victory

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Brian

I've built a few wooden ship rigged models and I can say that you have no need to worry about the rigging. Everything is practical and basically simple if a bit fiddly. Remember Standing rigging first (this is the rigging that does not operate any sails or yard arms, and is always Black in colour due to the coating of tar). Then the Running rigging which is bare rope colour and is used to manipulate spars and sails. BTW the only rope on a ship is the one that hangs from the bell, everything else has a specific name. If ever you run into a problem just ask and I will try to help out.

Good luck, the build so far is looking very nice.

John

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Brian

I've built a few wooden ship rigged models and I can say that you have no need to worry about the rigging. Everything is practical and basically simple if a bit fiddly. Remember Standing rigging first (this is the rigging that does not operate any sails or yard arms, and is always Black in colour due to the coating of tar). Then the Running rigging which is bare rope colour and is used to manipulate spars and sails. BTW the only rope on a ship is the one that hangs from the bell, everything else has a specific name. If ever you run into a problem just ask and I will try to help out.

Good luck, the build so far is looking very nice.
Thanks so much John no doubt I will need your help

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm not really into ships but that is looking grand.

I have to say though, that is one tidy bench! I don't know how you do it :surprised:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Going to have to find a closer paint match I just know I won't be happy to leave it as is :sad:
What sizes are the cannon lengthxdia. And how many?
I wouldn't beat yourself up over the colour.
It was just varnish one time with red and blue embellishments, then black with white stripes, umpteen different yellow stripes and the pink ones! These have been mentioned in the ranges between cooked salmon colour, pale peach. Pink terracotta...

Basically you can't be wrong.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bravo Brian

A nice little armory. Now when you have painted them you just need to rig each of them as you install them.

John

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Decided to change the colour as I'm really not happy with the outboard stripes these are the 3 colours I have to choose from.

IMG20231104140524.jpg
I'm thinking 1 for outboard and 2 for masts and anything inboard or maybe 1 and 3 what do you guy's think?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
According to what I have found on the interweb, the Hull stripes are the pinkish colour and all else yellow...

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting discussion about the colour here Brian. Read down and you will get the reasoning behind the colour choice.

Personally I’m not overly convinced by their arguments though. Certain facets do not seem to have been taken into account. Not least that the yellow ochre used was a natural material so subject to variation, and that the final paint used was also hand mixed from dry powders and a binder, so again could vary. In particular, one of the components, white lead, is extremely liable to oxidation, turning black very quickly. Railway carriage roofs in the Victorian age were painted with this when new, and repainted every four or five years, yet it is almost impossible to find a picture of a carriage with a white roof. Oxidation could therefore alter the “yellow” shade markedly over its lifetime.
The colour they uncovered may not, therefore, match the colour it was when it was new. It is probably as close as they can get, but it will not be exact. The new paint shade will also be made with modern pigments and binders, so will look different to the original in almost any lighting situation.

Personally, I’d just pick a shade you are happy with and go with that. Don’t get to tied up over the excact shade.