Bronco Comet plus bits....

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Update - and the brass begins....
Having now had a look through the 12 sheets of brass I accumulated for this build I can see there are a few duplicates that can be ignored. So starting from the back of the hull it was tine to replace the grill and shrouds.
The kit has a set, the Eduard has a set and the Voyager has a set, although for some reason the Bronco kit has two sets :confused:, don't ask, I only build them.... After some checking and deliberation I chose the Voyager set, these are better detailed and there is not so much of a gap between the two. But if you look at the rear of 'Celerity' there is quite a gap, so you pays your money and you takes your choice, as both types were in use. Now the inside was given a coat of surface primer black, and once dry construction commenced...
Obviously the first job was to cut off the engraved mesh flush with the end of the engine deck. Onto this I then built up the opening with 1mm square rod to bring up the height and to replace the surround. Now Voyager give you this surround but as the brass is so thin this then formed the surround on three sides and a thin strip added to the engine deck side to add support....
exhaust1.jpg
The strip is not cemented in place in the pic as I wanted to have a firm attachment point and then cement to rest. Once dry this was all cleaned up ready for the mesh.
grill.jpg
Here you can see the grill in place, and before the clean up started. A word of warning the Voyager grill is wafer thin, if you breathe on it, it will bend - I had to roll this flat twice....
Next it was the shrouds themselves. I did forget to take some pics of the build up of these. But here I deviated from the fold it and roll it sequence. I first cut off the side frame/panel for each side. I then heated up the part to be curved and once cool rolled this to shape and then c/a'd the side frames after bending the lip to shape. The shrouds were then attached to the mesh surround...
cover1.jpg
As can be seen there is still some rod to be put between the two shrouds...
cover2.jpg
Although not very clear there is also a strip across the rear and arond both sides at the base of the shrouds....
cover3.jpg
...and the securing pins on the four plates. Both supporting strips in the middle of each shroud are straight, this is just an optical illusion that has them looking bent outwards.
And that is it for this part, more brass later..
Mike.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Ohhhh Lawdy Mike,

I like it as I have the same one in the stash (green plastic). I'll just sit in the back and rip off all your ideas for mine when I build it. Looks like a bling fest to me!!! BTW, nice job on the Loo too...…….

Prost
Allen

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
and it begins with the super detailing
... LOVE IT

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Mike I'll be watching all misty-eyed and confused as usual.
Let the magic begin.
Pete

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Jim R,
Scottie,
Lee,
Allen,
BigGreg,
Pete Low,
Many thanks for your kind and welcom comments.
No update today as I have caught or been given a b.....y stinker of a head cold, sneezing etc, so every time I held a bit for the model in the tweezers - I sneezed, and every time I looked down, the nose was like a tap/fawcet, I did have three rolls of kitchen tissue, now have none, so just gave up in the end and went and kicked a snail all round the garden, why should he have all the fun eating my peas... So we shall see what tomorrow brings...
Cheers, Mike.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking good Mike. I’ve got a Bronco Comet too. I have the turret but not the wheels, looking at the differences I think I need to invest.
Keep up the great work
Paul

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Looking good Mike. I’ve got a Bronco Comet too. I have the turret but not the wheels, looking at the differences I think I need to invest.
Keep up the great work
Paul
Hello Paul,
There was an article not long after the Comet came out as a kit and this described where you took some tubing and made a saw tooth type end and rotated that around the hub to give the difference depth - then I discovered the AA offering and decided to spend out on the resin wheels as I could not afford the pain and loss of blood. AA still sell the wheels 17.00 plus vat, just checked for you.
Cheers
Mike

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Update.
10 gallons of LemSip later and getting back to normal.....
Continuing on with the rear of the vehicle I started to add the grill work for the intakes along the side of the hull. Here I think Eduard made a mistake in their measurements as there is a 1mm difference in the length - but no matter I just added a 1mm square of rod and attached to end to this....
intake1.jpg
And the grill....
intake2.jpg
This is the one for the left side, and very fine thin etch - beware.
Next it was the turn of the smoke pot holders, here I had a choice of two (Eduard, Voyager) and the kit version. The kit version was ignored and I decided on the Voyager offering.
smokebox1.jpg
The Eduard are the darker ones..
When assembling the Voyager offerings I thought at some point I had grown extra fingers because they just kept getting in the way, but I managed to get one finished. On the second one I ignored the instructions and assembled the tray for the pots first and then folded up one side and the back/top of the main box. I then offered up the pins on the tray to the main body and folded up the last side to close out the build... A thin piece of s/steel rod was cut 7.5mm long and fed through the holes to form the hinge and the handle bent to shape and added. I then took the activator boxes from the Eduard fret and mounted these on the top and the final part was to c/a these in place - job sorted - time taken over two hours....
smokebox2.jpg
smokebox4.jpg
smokebox5.jpg
And there you have the two smoke boxes in place.
Cheers,
Mike.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hello Paul,
There was an article not long after the Comet came out as a kit and this described where you took some tubing and made a saw tooth type end and rotated that around the hub to give the difference depth - then I discovered the AA offering and decided to spend out on the resin wheels as I could not afford the pain and loss of blood. AA still sell the wheels 17.00 plus vat, just checked for you.
Cheers
Mike
Hi Mike
Thanks for the info. I’ll be making a purchase with Accurate Armour before proceeding with mine.
Nice work with the PE by-the-way. Any thoughts on markings/unit yet - 11th Armoured?

Cheers
P

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Mike great work on though smoke pots :thumb2:.
I think it's going to take more than 10 gallons to get you somewhere close to normal
:tears-of-joy:. Hope you feel better mate.
Pete.

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Mike great work on though smoke pots :thumb2:.
I think it's going to take more than 10 gallons to get you somewhere close to normal
:tears-of-joy:. Hope you feel better mate.
Pete.
Hi pete,
Getting there, I think I am over the worst, only hurts when I laugh.... :smiling5:.
Cheers,
Mike.

• Haha
Reactions: JR