BUILDING FOR THE SU 76.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
... TOVARISCH Dzhon....and spasiba Tovarisch Stevensky.... hahahahahahhahahahhahaha I'm laughing here at loud.. Thanks what a great forum
:smiling2:That's good ! And agree not one better.
John

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mister John up and running again! Finally im back so will join for the ride! Great beginning, this will be another stunning project of yours! Best regards Danny

Thanks Danny....... Hope I can achieve one.
John

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John, I'm ok with a "small fire". It would certainly have a warm lighting effect.
Cheers, Rick H.
There are HO scale "campfires", flickering electric light, available from model RR shops & on-line. PaulE
Yes will probely get it from JS miniature lighting again..
Danny could you please wipe the drool off of PaulE mouth he fell asleep while Mr Race was on sick leave
Lee.:smiling2::smiling2::smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:
Mind blowing stuff mate. Dio's are not my thing so I shall just watch on in awe as another one of your architectural masterpieces comes ptogether. Permission to carry on:smiling5:
Steve...... If we lived nearer we could do a joint
build.

Sounds great to me but as you know iam a sucker for lighting
Well it was due in part to your influence and John in Canada that " sparked " the interest.:smiling:

Well as you mostly know other more pressing things have taken place.
I have had a little play with the buildings, did a little brick scribing. Maybe tomorrow when most of the family have returned home I might get the plaster on. That's always an interesting part.Once that is achieved and dried sanding will take place.
The postman arrived Thursday morning with 8 assorted parcels, like Christmas day .
I'll post so photos of the haul.
Thanks for the interest.
John.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening.
Well things seem to be ok on the grandson front so I spent some happy time in a world of my own .

Last week I had prepared the foam -board., staring with the marking out and then cutting out the widows as I showed. Now was the turn of some heat, no no I didn't set fire to anything before someone asks.:smiling2:

_MG_4110.JPG
tools required.

_MG_4113.JPG
The first thing to do was play the hair dryer over the foam, about 100 mm is bast as any lower can melt if you stay in one place too long.Once warmed I took one of the knives and slipped in in under a corner and whilst still warm and playing the dryer on I moved the knife along the board, just under the paper.

_MG_4112.JPG
The wider the blade seems to be the best option, as soon as resistance is felt a quick wave of the dryer breaks the glue line.

_MG_4114.JPG
With a little care you can remove the complete paper front in one go , it doesn't matter if it tears, just slipe the knife under carefully and continue.

_MG_4115.JPG
_MG_4119.JPG
This photo shows the two boards that are being used to make up the front, in the past I would have used 10mm board, but not having much in stock I decided to use the 5mm . Now joining then together with the paper face on the inside has actually produced a stronger board, normally the 10mm devoid of paper can flex and start to bow.

_MG_4121.JPG
The first thing was to rough up the surface of the paper, I used a 200 grit foam pad. Just enough roughage to allow the PVA to bite. Once this was done the two boards were taped together and weights put on top .

_MG_4124.JPG

Given a couple of days to fully dry I set too and started the brick work on the end and on the internal faces. Using a scribe the brick pattern was done fairly quickly, doing the horizontal lines first and then the longer process of marking out the courses of bricks. Mine are not spot on as the thickness should be 2.83 odd mm in scale, and taking the width of the scribe point which is slightly over size, so I cheat and eye ball it :surprised::surprised::surprised::cool:
Once that was all done including the front face of the building I applied a coat of wall filler in a random way. This will be the blown plaster suffering bomb damage, on the front I have marked the stone banking sets, removing some of these with a scalpel blade , taking about .5 mm off , then I scribed the underlying brick work.

IMG_4134.JPG
The front here is shown from the rear, so only plaster and the brick.

_MG_4137.JPG
The above photo shows the internal section of wall with a door way, the , once the filler has dried a very gentle (mask on time ) sanding to take it back to a uniform thickness. Additional layers may be needed to tidy the job up , but you can see the idea. Although a lot of the brick scribing ends up covered it's easier to do it this way. I've tried the filler with out the brick work before and then attempting to get the brick lines in is harder. Either way this part is time consuming, but the results are worth it.

All drying now, earlier I had used my new Tamiya pin vise and some new .4 mm drill bits to clean out 200 odd Fruili tracks, wish I'd had bought that Tamiya pin-vise before, so much better and more precise having 4 differing collets.
Right that it, thanks for looking in, I 'am off for some tea.

John.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good to see you back at it buddy. It clears the head and keeps us wanting to see more of your fine work. Oh, and I love your sexy hairdryer there too, Dude 2...

Prost
Dude 1

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Looking good. Good progress. Lots of really useful tips on using this board.
So glad that Jack is going to be ok.
Jim

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
WOW John that is super COOOL... love it...i could have done my diorama with this idea... for the next one... I'm really looking forward to see more...

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Keep her moving John, you'll bee up to the rain gutters before you know it.
Cheers, Rick H.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good to see you back at it buddy. It clears the head and keeps us wanting to see more of your fine work. Oh, and I love your sexy hairdryer there too, Dude 2...

Prost
Dude 1
Unfortunately it doesn't come with the blonde hottie :cool:
Hi John
Looking good. Good progress. Lots of really useful tips on using this board.
So glad that Jack is going to be ok.
Jim
Thanks Jim.......I should have said that if you use KAPA board the paper peels off with out any heat.That would have been my first choice, but I had the other type in stock.
WOW John that is super COOOL... love it...i could have done my diorama with this idea... for the next one... I'm really looking forward to see more...
Greg... Thanks mate.

John
Great work looking natural already.
Cheers Paul.

At it with the foam again are we ? - me too - great work mate :thumb2: - taking shape gradually
Steven .... Don't you just love it, all great fun .

Keep her moving John, you'll bee up to the rain gutters before you know it.
Cheers, Rick H.
Hi mate.... I found some half round tube as well for the guttering !!!

As I said to Jim if I had used the KAPA board the front face would have just pealed off with out any use of heat. In the future when I restock that's all I'm going to use. The cell structure is tighter as well so gives a higher degree of detail.
All the wall sections are in the kitchen overnight hopefully dry enough to start sanding, other wise its track assembly.
Thanks for looking in .
John.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Wonderful blog mate. So informative. It makes you want to go out and get some foam board and build something. Despite all your trials and tribulations lately you still have the skills to be able to turn out first class work such as this. Terrific stuff mate:thumb2::thumb2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steven .... Don't you just love it, all great fun

It is lining up for the cut
Steven.....How are you getting on with the vertical cuts ? I've found that several cuts going deeper each time makes it easier to produce a good 90 deg cut.

Wonderful blog mate. So informative. It makes you want to go out and get some foam board and build something. Despite all your trials and tribulations lately you still have the skills to be able to turn out first class work such as this. Terrific stuff mate:thumb2::thumb2:
Steve......thanks mate, I find it the best way to relax.

Managed some time at the bench last night and today.
Building up the coats to represent render on the outer side walls. After all the detailing of the brick work its now all covered up , but if I need to show damage a little digging will reveal all .
On the inner walls I've tried to show the blast damage , ie the plaster falling off. I've actually put a very thin coat over the brick pattern and its filled in the mortar line. Pleased about this because it gives that look of the plaster sticking to the mortar as it sticks better there than the brick face.
Leaving it over night again, then more sanding, suppose its really a case of building up until a uniform thickness is achieved and it loos right to the eye.

_MG_4141.jpgFB1.jpg
Inner face, you can see the lines are filled.

_MG_4143.jpgFB2.jpg_MG_4143.jpgFB2.jpg
Outer end wall , building this up as I said.

_MG_4144.jpgFB3.jpg_MG_4144.jpgFB3.jpg
The building front, here I under cut the stone sets to then detail the brick .This is KAPA board with the very slight yellow colour.
I don't think you could achieve that dertail with the cheaper foam board.
I've kept the lower front section to paint and use for rubble.

Might feel like doing the tracks, as they are sitting there waiting.

Thanks for following, abuse from members of the Rabble is expected :tongue-out3:

John.

Attachments

• _MG_4146.jpgFB4.jpg
    _MG_4146.jpgFB4.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 2

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening John,
Coming along very nicely indeed. That foam board looks like very versatile stuff, ideal for your purposes. I watched a guy build a complete building out of it on you tube.....made it look so easy :thinking:

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Steven.....How are you getting on with the vertical cuts ? I've found that several cuts going deeper each time makes it easier to produce a good 90 deg cut.
John.

well, I use a hotwire cutter - it helps, but I still bodge it on occasion - its a case of "designed by a genius, build by a craftsman - operated by an idiot" :rolling:
P5hhSo1.jpg

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi John very nice brick and stone work, looks the bizz to me :thumb2: the paint and weathering will bring the hole thing to life.
Pete.