Centurion MkIII - Tamiya 1/25

S

Scuff

This will be my first attempt at an AFV since coming back to the hobby. I'll be looking for suggestions etc. from those more experienced AFV builders on here, if they are willing ;)

Anyway, I picked this kit up from ebay for £30, which i though wasn't bad. The box is a bit battered and a few pieces had come off of the sprues in thier bags. The decals are yellow but its all there. I am going to attempt an Israerli version in Dark Yellow. I Know that their current vehicles are painted Yellow-Grey, but I don't think that the early Centurions were done in that colour. I'm happy to be corrected by those more knowledgable. :smiling3:

These first few shots are from the internal turret detail. The light grey is just Vajello grey primer sprayed liberally and dry brushed with tamiya metallic grey XF56. The chipping was applied by hand with a very fine brush, dabbing on MC214 Dark Iron from Mr.MetalColor. A Mix of Dark And Rust wash was applied.

The light grey primer sprayed over the Mid Grey-Blue Plastic showing the contrast.

The shell cases were sprayed with MC217 Mr.MetalColor Gold.

Images showing the bits before they are all hidden:sad:

The Ammo Boxes were Sprayed with Mr.MetalColor Stainless Steel.

Turret Base with seat, the cushion was coloured dark green and gently weathered with Tamiya weathering powder/paste 'Sand'.

Box edges chipped with Dark Iron.

The Main Gun Breach component

Turret Gearbox and commanders seat.

As always guys, I'm open to comments.:cool:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hi Graham. Wow, those parts look very realistic, the gun breach and seat on base in particular are stunning.

Z

Ziper_it

I agree with Joe here.

1/25? Must be huge, please show us more.

Francesco

Edit: oh, and nice pictures too!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice work Graham and great photos as usual.

Look forward to seeing more of this.

Ian M

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Now that looks like it's going to be a stunning build Graham with loads of detail and a great start if i may say so

S

Scuff

Thanks guys. Hopefully it will be an impressive kit when finished - despite my efforts :D :D .

B

Bunkerbarge

Lovely work, it will be a real pleasure to see this going together. This is a kit I had forgotten about until now, I remember hoping that they would bring more out in the same scale but the trouble was it was way beyond my price anyway in those days!

Wonderful weathering effects though and perfect finish.

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
what a find well done on fleabay and the weathering looks great as well.

steve

S

Scuff

Thanks for your interest Guys.

Here is an update on the turret internals. Most of the 'innards' have been welded to the turret ring. Feel free to comment if you wish.

Last edited:
G

Graham D

Great work, I like the weathering add a lot to the model.

Z

Ziper_it

Excellent work!

Was washing done on matt white and what did you use for washing?

Francesco

S

Scuff

\ said:
Excellent work!Was washing done on matt white and what did you use for washing?

Francesco
The base coat for the interior is Vallejo grey primer. It was washed with a commercially available clay based dark wash. The excess wash was removed when dry with a cotton bud.

T

tecdes

Very nice work Graham & as must be expected very nice clear photos.

Not produced an military vehicles yet but have 4 lined up for next on the list. Therefore nice to watch this one being built.

Like the fade from light grey to very light grey background Graham which gives a superb back drop to show of the subject. Did you manage that with lighting ?

Laurie

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Great build so far Graham. When you say welded do you mean CA or Poly cement? Also I presume your using Flory Models clay wash?

S

Scuff

\ said:
Very nice work Graham & as must be expected very nice clear photos.Not produced an military vehicles yet but have 4 lined up for next on the list. Therefore nice to watch this one being built.

Like the fade from light grey to very light grey background Graham which gives a superb back drop to show of the subject. Did you manage that with lighting ?

Laurie
Thanks Laurie

With a lot of my commercial work, I will use a large overhead softbox tilted to give a graduated background as you have suggested.

I have to admit, for a lot of my model build shots I'm a little lazy. I use a grad black/white vinyl roll. I use 2 radio triggered flash guns which are pointed at the ceiling for a good soft bounced light. I use a Canon G12 compact camera as the small sensor gives a large depth of field, and the quality is fine for the small web pics. The images are colour corrected and edited with Adobe Lightroom 5.2