Centurion MkIII - Tamiya 1/25

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
wow Graham I've been on this forum for two years and I've seen a lot great tanks built and finished by very talented people but I have to say this as to be the best one to date a real show stopper well done regards John

S

Scuff

Thanks John. It was good fun to build. I've always liked the Centurion.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I thought I'd posted on this one Graham Sorry for the lateness but what a fantasic build truly stunning

S

Scuff

\ said:
I thought I'd posted on this one Graham Sorry for the lateness but what a fantasic build truly stunning
You are forgiven :smiling:

Seriously, your observations are always welcome

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Could you give some info on the lighting setup you used for the main pictures (ie., not closeups)? Was a tent used (with a highlight light)? Or two umbrella lights? The balance between shadow and highlight detail is impressive.
\ said:
Hi SteveI used 2 flash guns for the lighting. 1 clamped to the radiator in the modelling room, and the other clamped to a storage rack shelf. The 'shelf' flash was fired directly into the ceiling ensuring that there was no spill onto the subject. The 'radiator' flash was bounced onto a white door behind the camera. Both remotely fired by a Canon ST-E3 mounted on the hotshoe of the camera.

The images were shot in RAW and edited in Lightroom 5.2 to give a better dynamic range.
I have been experimenting with lighting because I was not satisfied with the sharpness and general clarity of my pictures when using even only one umbrella light. I now use just one bare flash, directed at the model from "over and to the left of my left shoulder", and that gives me a big improvement. I will think about a second flash (in your case aimed at the door) as you did, to fill in any underneath parts (as in aircraft) by reflecting up from the white base. Or an umbrella set well behind the camera. I also use RAW. Nikon D3100, kit lens, manual focus.

S

Scuff

I have stated trying out Rogue Flashbender on my speed lights. The area needed to set up lighting is a lot less than using my studio lights. I don't need power either.

Here is an example if what can be achieved with this setup.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
I have stated trying out Rogue Flashbender on my speed lights. The area needed to set up lighting is a lot less than using my studio lights. I don't need power either.Here is an example if what can be achieved with this setup.
Really impressive. I hadn't heard of these lights. amazon show them.