Challenger with enhanced armour.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Well its been another pleasure to catch up on your work Mike. Great to see the tracks are well under way. Now remember 10 links, then a slice of cake, 10 links then a slice of cake, ten links then a slice of cake....... :smiling2:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Stunning Mike, do not expect this very high level of skill on my StuG's lol

Truly superb detail and eyesight!!
Bob

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Did you distress the pads Mike or were they moulded that way?? Very nice attention to detail.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Did you distress the pads Mike or were they moulded that way?? Very nice attention to detail.
Steve,
They were distressed using a sanding cutter disc in my small mini drill with the speed set really low to avoid melting the plastic too much. The tracks were then sprayed with a track surface primer, masked and then the aluminium sprayed on. Then the tracks were reversed - masked again and a coat of Rubber & Tyres from AK and once dry they were dry brushed with a Mig rubber.. Once in place then the final weathering will be done to match the environment.
Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
What with Simon's scratchery and moulding , Steve's extreme rivets and weathering and your work it's like the Holy Trinity of extreme modellers.
Regards to SWMBO, gobble dogs and greenery muncher , oh and you mate !
Nice one .

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
What with Simon's scratchery and moulding , Steve's extreme rivets and weathering and your work it's like the Holy Trinity of extreme modellers.
Regards to SWMBO, gobble dogs and greenery muncher , oh and you mate !
Nice one .
Thanks for the hello's, SWMBO snoring away at the moment, went for a bum ride down the stairs the other morning, so easing a few bruises :face-with-head-bandage:, you are allowed to laugh - I did! :crying:, my lumps come out later.....
As for the Holy Trinity, to coin the phrase - "Just another day at the office."
Went to Sainsburys today and met the local hysteric. Did not see her untill I turned around and stepped towards my trolly - never seen a woman turn so pale and jump so far - is it me or the virus???
Regards to all at Race Manor.
Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Update,
Nearing the end of the construction now, and just adding a few details and tidying up. I added some details to the sights inside with holographic film and extra details on the outsides.
I also added the screen washer pipe to the lower sight. Sorry but the spray holes could not be done - the dogs whisker just would not drill into the plastic, plus trying to turn the dog and hold the plastic .....;)
sights1.jpg
I then looked at the brass offerings for the dust cover on the turret top and decided to have a go at my own version.
dustcover1.jpg
This was made up of two single strips of tissue 28mm x 6mm and the reinforcing inside from thin copper wire taken from electrical wire. I first marked out on some scrap plastic the size and markings for the reinforcing wire. To this I cemented one piece of tissue to the plastic with pva glue neat. With gentle brushing and not letting the brush dry ir is possible to flatten the tissue without tearing it. Next the wires were laid on - firs full width diagonal wires were added and then 4mm fill ins to make up the other cross pieces. These are again held in place with some pva. The second strip of tissue is laid on the top and is gendtly pressed down, this isthen coated with more pva and once the tissues is covered a light brush over with some water will smooth out the job. Leave this to dry for about 3 hours and then cut the wires first and then cut around the dimensions marked out. The two marked out cuts are for the hinged to fit in.
dustcover2.jpg
At the moment the cover is a little warped due to the bending process, but once the barrel mounting is in place it will be permanently fixed and the hold down strips added.
And that is the sum total of my work for today.
Cheers and thanks for looking and commenting.
Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My word Mike does SWMBO know you had that loo roll !
Typical of your attention to detail :surprised::thumb2::nerd:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Alistair,
Neil,
John Race,
Many thanks for the comments.
John - private stash, no pattern on it.
Cheers, Mike.