Chris' ICM 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IX

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
So here's my contribution to the Group Build..
(apologies for not adding my name to the list earlier, but thanks to Andy's kind donation I'm gonna join in if that's OK ...)

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
So here's my contribution to the Group Build..
(apologies for not adding my name to the list earlier, but thanks to Andy's kind donation I'm gonna join in if that's OK ...)
I can't see any pics no need to add your name to the list just join in at any time.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Nice one Chris,
I'll be following along with much interest :smiling3:
Andy

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Chris,
All the ICM Spitfires have the same essential sprues - just mixed and matched to the variant - my Mk.VII has the same plastic parts, but doesn't have the bombs or rockets. Are you intending to make it with the engine on show? - having made an ICM Spitfire before, I found from bitter experience that you cannot fit the engine and cowlings! The gunbay doors are a bit tricky & need careful trimming & fitting..............
Good Luck
Dave

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Chris,
All the ICM Spitfires have the same essential sprues - just mixed and matched to the variant - my Mk.VII has the same plastic parts, but doesn't have the bombs or rockets. Are you intending to make it with the engine on show? - having made an ICM Spitfire before, I found from bitter experience that you cannot fit the engine and cowlings! The gunbay doors are a bit tricky & need careful trimming & fitting..............
Good Luck
Dave
I did wonder if the cowlings would fit over the engine, it seems a bit 'off kilter' when you try to align all the bits, how did you do yours Dave ?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I did wonder if the cowlings would fit over the engine, it seems a bit 'off kilter' when you try to align all the bits, how did you do yours Dave ?
I essentially skeletonised the engine, left off the rocker covers - you need some bits to locate the prop shaft & exhaust stubs. It's easy to do whilst building, - I had to do it after assembly, which wasn't the ideal method. Never a better advert for dry fitting & looking ahead!
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's a nice choice Chris. I'm sure it will build up well and have figures is a nice touch.
Jim

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
ICM Spitfire kits are all pretty good and build into a good looking bird. Cant say the same for the decals though. They're really the worse decals I have ever failed to use. Far to thin and fragile. I know a decal should be thin, but they should not 'explode' when you wet them to use them!

Interesting to see that the fuselage now has the side covers one the fuselage. I am sure those I have built in the past all had the body stopped at the firewall to the engine. Using the loose panels was not an option.
As for the separate top cover you dont have that blasted center seam to get rid of!

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
"A bit of progress" he says.... That`s more in less than two days that i`ve managed in a WEEK!!:tears-of-joy:
Looking very nice there Chris.... the control panel in particular.... did you hand paint that?:cool:
Good stuff mate,
Andy

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
That is looking real good Chris!!! Love the IP a lot, but what is the lollipop with the nose behind it. Overspray or something???...Looks cool though. Drive on Sir....

Prost
Allen