Chris' ICM 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IX

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
After a weeks break from this..(bloody work), the decals are finally on, I must say that despite seeing various comments around the web about ICM's decals being a pig to work with, I found them the easiest decals I've ever done, they might be a tad thick, but they settle down beautifully with just a touch of micro set....If i had to find one issue it would be that their decal placement guide is a little bit lacking ..but a quick wander around the web and problem solved....

IMG_7072.jpg

IMG_7073.jpg

IMG_7074.jpg

One question though, would the fuel filler cap on the upper fuselage be the same colour as the body or would it have been another colour ? maybe something like aluminium..ish ?

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I suspect they would have been painted, but much of the paint would have flaked/worn off.
Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Chris
Just had a catch up. Great job. The stripes look fine to me. I imagine neat stripes were not a priority at that stage of the war :smiling: I'm glad the decals went on well, they can make or break a plane build.
Jim

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Playing ketchup Chris and loving what you've done so far. The scruffy look is fantastic and adds a great used look to her. I only hope I can achieve a similar result on my Mossie for the GB next month. I'll be nicking a lot of your work too, if you don't mind......

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well that picture has helped me as well Geoff. I wondered what that bit looked like. Mine just had a very hard to deal with fuselage joint in there. I filled it with filler then pushed a drill of approximately the right diameter in to reinstate the hole. Did the same for the keyhole shaped one there was behind it. Not perfect but it will do for me!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work there Chris!!

ATB.

Andrew

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
So, after a few touch-ups I'm calling this build finished, thanks once again to Andy @The Smythe Meister for graciously donating this kit.. cheers mate :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: , and thanks to one and all for following along and commenting as she progressed.

Here come the pics.

IMG_7085.jpg

IMG_7083.jpg

IMG_7084.jpg

IMG_7086.jpg

IMG_7087.jpg

IMG_7088.jpg

IMG_7089.jpg

IMG_7090.jpg

IMG_7091.jpg

IMG_7092.jpg

IMG_7094.jpg

IMG_7095.jpg

IMG_7096.jpg

IMG_7097.jpg

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That's lovely Chris ....
A cracking finish indeed,love it :smiling3:
Andy

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Chris
A great result. I like the used and abused look which I'm sure is a realistic look for a D-Day Spitfire.
Jim

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That is one of the best Spitfires I've seen. The tired well used look you have achieved is nothing short of brilliant. It looks so good, I can 'smell' the aircraft.