Chris' ICM 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IX

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
That is looking real good Chris!!! Love the IP a lot, but what is the lollipop with the nose behind it. Overspray or something???...Looks cool though. Drive on Sir....

Prost
Allen
lol, is where i attached the bulkhead to a stick for painting...must remember to touch it in...lol

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
"A bit of progress" he says.... That`s more in less than two days that i`ve managed in a WEEK!!:tears-of-joy:
Looking very nice there Chris.... the control panel in particular.... did you hand paint that?:cool:
Good stuff mate,
Andy
yeah mate, i did contemplate grabbing a replacement panel ,but thought i'd throw some paint at it first and see where it ended up.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Update time,
a couple of hours work and she's at this state....
main job today was knocking up a set of seatbelts from tamiya tape and tiny loops...far from perfect but i guess it'll be hard to tell the difference from three feet....

IMG_7038.jpg

IMG_7039.jpg

IMG_7040.jpg

IMG_7041.jpgIMG_7043.jpg

IMG_7044.jpg

IMG_7045.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Lookin' good Chris, but I gotta agree with Dave. I can't see any way you're going to get the engine cover to fit.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Lookin' good Chris, but I gotta agree with Dave. I can't see any way you're going to get the engine cover to fit.
It does look like it's gonna be a bit tight, but I'm figuring with a bit of good ole brute force and superglue to grab it I can hold it long enough to flood the area with TET.

Although, whilst doing fitting tests as I built up the front end it seemed to only have a tiny gap along the top of the exhaust manifolds, so maybe I should sacrifice one of the tiny 'not needed' parts to the model gods and pray they're looking the other way when I pop it together......

And just like @dave had already mentioned those cannon covers on the wing were an absolute pig to get in, god knows how much sanding and shaping of the inside edge of them I did to get them in....(they're not 100%perfect now, but they're as close as I could get them with resorting to re-cutting the inserts out a bit more...)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great work Chris. The harness is most effective. Did you have to correct the dihedral, or just being safe ?

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Great work Chris. The harness is most effective. Did you have to correct the dihedral, or just being safe ?
Colin, Glad you like the harness, it's the first time I've attempted to make one, the wing dihedral looked about right, so it was more about making sure nothing moved whilst the glue hardened off.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
And a few more hours at the bench and we have some invasion stripes....I'm not 100% happy with them, the measurements might be a bit off in places, and I've overdone the chipping in some places.....nothing that a quick touch up wont cure, I figure they'll look better after the weathering that's to come....

Also managed to spray matt black all over my watch strap...took ages to clean that off.....lol

IMG_7052.jpg

IMG_7053.jpg

IMG_7054.jpg

IMG_7055.jpg

IMG_7056.jpg

IMG_7057.jpg

IMG_7058.jpg

IMG_7059.jpg

IMG_7060.jpg

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Blimey...
That looks excellent Chris :smiling3:
Loving your paintwork there mate.... And it looks like you overcame the engine cowling problem with ease!
Great stuff buddy ;)

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Chris,
If I recall, all the D-Day stripes were applied to all the aircraft involved in the space of two days, and I bet some of the paint jobs wouldn't bear close scrutiny! - and I bet only the best paint jobs had photos taken!
Going very well!! :thumb2:
Dave

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Blimey...
That looks excellent Chris :smiling3:
Loving your paintwork there mate.... And it looks like you overcame the engine cowling problem with ease!
Great stuff buddy ;)
Yeah buddy, it literally went together with no probs whatsoever, i would advise folk do plenty of dry fitting before nailing these bits together,
glad you like the paintwork, first time i've ever done invasion stripes....quite a way away from doing armour.. :tongue-out3:

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Chris,
If I recall, all the D-Day stripes were applied to all the aircraft involved in the space of two days, and I bet some of the paint jobs wouldn't bear close scrutiny! - and I bet only the best paint jobs had photos taken!
Going very well!! :thumb2:
Dave
Thanks Dave... It's good to know i wasn't totally out of the park with how they ended up looking,

funny thing is though I did read somewhere that most of the invasion stripes on aircraft were removed within a month of D-Day, and yes it seems that only the Sqd leaders and other higher ranks had perfectly painted Stripe, whilst the 'regular' aircraft were just, for want of a better word, slapped on...

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Slapped on is the word. I’ve read memoirs where yard brushes and whitewash were used, especially on the big stuff like Dakotas. Later on they became part of the standard markings, but only on the bottom half of the aircraft. My Mark XII is going to have those markings…..

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Slapped on is the word. I’ve read memoirs where yard brushes and whitewash were used, especially on the big stuff like Dakotas. Later on they became part of the standard markings, but only on the bottom half of the aircraft. My Mark XII is going to have those markings…..
I'll be sure to keep watching buddy, your build is turning out gorgeously