'Close Contact' - WIP

First Name
Charles
Things have been going slow as I have been busy with work and my family. Also, I had not been so impress with the US paint job on the uniforms. So, I have renamed the dio and will discard the US figures altogether until I am satisfied with the results of my camo painting.I just do not want to bring the dio down just because the camo looks like a 3-year old had painted them. I am a somewhat of a perfectionist, in a way. Not to say that the insurgent figures are any better but they do not crave the complex camo design as that of the US figures do. I will add them eventually when I am totally satisfied with the results.

I have added a couple more details to the building and added a third insurgent figure and a kid. The new name of the dio will be called, '...around the corner'. Unfortunately it will be the insurgents that get the spot- lights on this dio. I have also decided to remove the pickup vehicle and replaced it with Diopark's new mercedes civilian car. I will be adding garbage bins, street lights and few other details. Will post pics shortly. Thanks for all the great support fellows. I do appreciate it

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hello Charles, it's good to read there are othes making dioramas who are not afraid to radically change their model to achieve the required effect.

Takes some doing, but sometimes.........!

Roll on the pictures.

Ron

First Name
Charles
Ok, here are pics of the diorama, which name has been changed to "...around the corner". The former name was, 'Close Contact'. The dio is pretty much done for the exception of one more figure to be added. The last figure will be a boy pointing to the corner of the building, alerting the insurgents that they( us troops) are coming around the corner. I am in the process of painting the figure, so will add that when it is completed and will post the pics.

As you can see there have been some changes and addition to the diorama. As mentioned in my previous post, the insurgents get the spotlight for this diorama. As I was not completely happy with the outcome of the US camo, I decided to put it aside until such time I can improve on it. So, I hope you can still find it in your heart to like the dio, regardless of the sudden change.

As you can see, the pick-up truck has been replaced with the new Mercedes from Diopark. Not a bad kit. A big plus with this kit, is that the doors can be closed or open in real-time. That's right. You can have the option to keep it shut or if you so desire you can open them on demand. Two thumbs up for this little addition. The downside is, it is not so easy to put together ans glue the part that makes this to work. Not a kit for the beginner, I can tell you that. Lots of mistakes and mishaps trying to get the doors to work perfectly. Unfortunately I only succeeded having one door work( the passenger side) The rest were glue into their respective position. Also forgot to mention that you need lots of patience, something I am striving to maintain.

The next addition is the concrete canopy on the right. I simply used a piece of pink Styrofoam and glued it in place and painted it a concrete color. No biggy there. I also added another canopy made of corrugated material. Made the bracing of some pieces of white polystyrene and glued that in place after painting it blue. I think the variation of these two objects adds a little spice to the dio.

I added a small sign which I took off the internet. That is in fact a pic of a real sign that one of the US soldiers were posting up. I just downloaded it and re-sized it in Photoshop. I thought it was a cool sign.

As you can see I added another satellite dish and a mast for a antennae array on the top of the building. I was given a pic which showed many of these on one building alone but decided to limit the amount as I did not want to risk cluttering the diorama.

I added another insurgent figure from Blast models. I hand bought it and saved it for a rainy day. I guess that rainy day came.

I included MIG street lights, which are pretty good. I also went ahead and bought a dumpster to place the garbage in it at the side of the building. All resin and are pretty good products. I thought it added life and variation. Variation is the key. But you all know that already.

Anyways, enjoy the pics and thanks for being patience and giving me tips to finally ( almost) bringing this project to a close.

Lots of pics!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
One of the best builds and dio's on this site, no question about that. Just top drawer modelling to create a feast of visuals.

Si:smiling3:

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
:eek: Absolutely well and truly stunning, you've got the setting, very realistic ;)

Lee :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 3568

I saw the original version of this with the pickup in and thought wow but now my god it is just incredible. I am gobsmacked just truly amazing work.

First Name
Charles
thanks guys. Still have to paint the boy and add him to the dio. Then it will be complete.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Absolutely,amazing work, it looks so real, dont know how to say what i wont about it all, :D

N

noble

I actually thought this was an actual scene from fighting in Iraq, this is a show stopper Charles.

Scott

P

Polux

All the diorama is amaizing, but I think the most important thing is the general set colour, you have nailed! It give a nice real "touch"

Regards

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
I actually thought this was an actual scene from fighting in Iraq, this is a show stopper Charles.Scott
Unfortunately it could well be today, or tomorrow.

Great work Charles

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Charles, there's only two ways for this not to win the competition:

1) You dropped it on the way in.

2) Somebody bribed the judges.

Gern

First Name
Charles
\ said:
Charles, there's only two ways for this not to win the competition:1) You dropped it on the way in.

2) Somebody bribed the judges.

Gern
HAHAHA! Now that was great. Probably A, if I'm lucky.

First Name
Charles
I added the fourth figure but removed the car due to unsatisfactorily blemishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 3568

What, I saw nothing wrong with the car!!! and just rechecked still see nothing wrong with it, talk about perfectionist, look it up in the dictionary and I think you'll find the definition is tiking, charles. great work is an understatement.