Computer Games

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Was that Silent Service (Microprose) by any chance?
Think it might well have been Silent Service II Alan…….good call…..for real frustration you could play with historical torpedoes…….four hits, No explosions…….just like knocking on a door to let them know you were there…….

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Anyone remember “Reach for the stars”? Nothing to look at graphically, but the gameplay and AI were immense. One of the great games in my opinion…..first released in 1983. It was the one that showed me games on computers could be better than mindless drivel like Donkey Kong….it was also the game that launched the Startegic Studies Group (SSG) company.

Other SSG games worth looking out were Carriers at war and Great War in the East (Barbarossa again). Never had a dud from them, and all played faultlessly on my C64. Quite pricey though, 35 quid was a lot for a game in 1985 ;)

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Don't remember that one Tim.

My first real games i got into (other than Manic Miner) was X-Wing and Tie Fighter. I played them to death many times over.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
To be honest Alan, if it was still available, even forty years later, I’d probably give it a go again…….definitely a great strategy game. Not for the shoot em up or tactical fan though……

De.Mort

SMF Supporter
First Name
Iain
I was one of the original computer nerds .. first computer was a DX 50 X2 .. Dos days where we had to use a seperate boot disc depending on the game as there was so little boot memory .. i remember when win 95 came out .. i broke it 5 times in the first week as i wanted to see what all the exe files did lol .. floppy disc install back then ..

Games .. Starsiege tribes .. google it ! .. Elite .. brilliant and many variants of this game .. played them all .. finally got into MMORPG .. rift was excellent , along with wowc .. and so many others .. gave it up a good few years back .. far too many hours spent on gaming to the wee small hours with work the next day.

I almost forgot .. Civilisation !!!!!! i played them all .

Fallout 4 , vegas .. sigh .. i loved that game .. i did many Beta trials of games .. eve online .. i was there pre release .. excellent game that was ... This thread takes me back i must say .. best part of 25-30 years as a gamer sigh .

Just on the off chance ... Falcone / Mort or demort .. my main names but variants of Falcone were my alts .

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I was one of the original computer nerds .. first computer was a DX 50 X2 .. Dos days where we had to use a seperate boot disc depending on the game as there was so little boot memory .. i remember when win 95 came out .. i broke it 5 times in the first week as i wanted to see what all the exe files did lol .. floppy disc install back then ..

Games .. Starsiege tribes .. google it ! .. Elite .. brilliant and many variants of this game .. played them all .. finally got into MMORPG .. rift was excellent , along with wowc .. and so many others .. gave it up a good few years back .. far too many hours spent on gaming to the wee small hours with work the next day.

I almost forgot .. Civilisation !!!!!! i played them all .

Fallout 4 , vegas .. sigh .. i loved that game .. i did many Beta trials of games .. eve online .. i was there pre release .. excellent game that was ... This thread takes me back i must say .. best part of 25-30 years as a gamer sigh .

Just on the off chance ... Falcone / Mort or demort .. my main names but variants of Falcone were my alts .
I feel old now! I'm pre everything. Windows 3.1 wasn't even out when I first started. No games unless you wanted to spend hours programming in that nauseating tennis bouncy ball game!!! However, I did catch up with a Commodore 64. Then a Nintendo!!! After that, PS2 - Xbox - back to PS4 now on PS5. PS 2 introduced me to Lara Croft and that was me hooked. Now I just love slaughtering for the sake of it!! CoD is my go to game but the constant upgrades is annoying especially with a poor Inet connection. Only 5 houses in my area without super fast or fibre and I'm in one of them!! Frustrating.

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I feel old now! I'm pre everything. Windows 3.1 wasn't even out when I first started. No games unless you wanted to spend hours programming in that nauseating tennis bouncy ball game!!! However, I did catch up with a Commodore 64. Then a Nintendo!!! After that, PS2 - Xbox - back to PS4 now on PS5. PS 2 introduced me to Lara Croft and that was me hooked. Now I just love slaughtering for the sake of it!! CoD is my go to game but the constant upgrades is annoying especially with a poor Inet connection. Only 5 houses in my area with super fast or fibre and I'm in one of them!! Frustrating.
Yep, I remember running a PC in DOS pre Windows………after all, Windows 3.1 never came in until the early nineties. used to have a WIMP program I could load to run in the background on my C64 and make it easier to use. I remember loading games from a cassette tape as well……then 5 1/4 floppies, then 3 1/2 floppies……then CDs came in……etc etc…..trouble is, the easier games got to load, the more they seemed to become all chrome and reactions with no real thought needed, so I lost interest…..I think that’s why I went back to figures and my gaming mate went back to board games……

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've played Red Alert. Not a bad game.
Pete

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Yep, I remember running a PC in DOS pre Windows………after all, Windows 3.1 never came in until the early nineties. used to have a WIMP program I could load to run in the background on my C64 and make it easier to use. I remember loading games from a cassette tape as well……then 5 1/4 floppies, then 3 1/2 floppies……then CDs came in……etc etc…..trouble is, the easier games got to load, the more they seemed to become all chrome and reactions with no real thought needed, so I lost interest…..I think that’s why I went back to figures and my gaming mate went back to board games……
Mind you, all the pre Windows work paid dividends when a work colleague deleted the works auto exec.bat file!! (Which is instrumental in starting a PC) I managed to write a new file and save a severe rollicking/possible dismissal!!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Anyone ever play Red Alert, Dune or Settlers?
Command a conquer red alert and most of the series. C&C generals was easily my most played!

Was into a PC game called blitzkrieg, used to play multiplayer games that could go on into the wee small hours.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Used to play a few driving sims. Colin McRae rally, grand prix legends, one of the good old games that one. Had a flight sim with a shed load of high resolution satellite maps and terrain spent a lot of time sightseeing in a vulcanised bomber lol. Had Apache helo sim thar was good too.
Got I to first person shooters fun for a while.
Nowadays if the urge arises I have Euro truck, American trucker, and Farming simulator. Which is more fun than you could imagine lol.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Anyone ever play Red Alert, Dune or Settlers?
Played all three, at least, I remember RA and Dune quite well. Settlers was the “Homus” and “Grogan” one wasn’t it?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Settlers was the “Homus” and “Grogan” one wasn’t it?
The original Settlers you could play as vikings, romans or some other 'tribe' i cannot remember. I loved playing it though. You had to make buildings and roads etc.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The original Settlers you could play as vikings, romans or some other 'tribe' i cannot remember. I loved playing it though. You had to make buildings and roads etc.
If it’s the one I’m thinking of the used to say “Homus?” When you clicked on them, and “Grogan” when you gave them as task…..it was a civ builder but I can’t remember the name…..

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Wasn’t that a computer port across from a Mad Max type board game by Gary Gygax? I seem to remember it from the early eighties, but I could be getting it confused with something else?
No idea I'm afraid. My introduction to it was a demo on a free CD, stuck to a computer magazine.

Sunburst Finish

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
GTA V on PS5 for me. Play it with my son and grandson who are in various parts of the world! Great way to keep in touch. Also like Black Ops Cold War and Gran Turismo 7. As has been mentioned, it's purely a way for pensioners to ward off dementia and keep the reflexes sharp...

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
GTA V on PS5 for me. Play it with my son and grandson who are in various parts of the world! Great way to keep in touch. Also like Black Ops Cold War and Gran Turismo 7. As has been mentioned, it's purely a way for pensioners to ward off dementia and keep the reflexes sharp...
Only sold my steering wheel/gear shift combo last year complete with frame. Grand Turismo - was awesome!!! Bet your grandson thinks your real cool if he’s anything like mine!!