DaveCov's "Starsky & Hutch Striped Tomato" - Revell 1/25 1976 Ford Torino (07038)

Ernie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ernie
I remember the series fondly. I always reckoned it was worth watching for Huggy Bear.
Looks a fun kit.
Yep, Huggy Bear!:smiling3::thumb2:

Very nice build so far, I thought about getting this kit as this show was a never miss on Saturday nights when I was a kid! I am enjoying watching your build very much.

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Steve, there were so many videos clips that I was spoilt for choice but I haven't the time right now to ensure that they are all suitable for those who may be of a fragile nature. It is going to take me weeks of painstaking "research". I'll let you know how I get on - assuming that I survive the experience!

Dave

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Another update.

Pictures of the original Ford Torinos used in Starsky & Hutch had registration plates front and rear. The Revell kit has two decals but only one plate to put them on so I cut another one from plastic card:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_032.JPG

The various engine decals have been applied. I am not sure whether to add spark plug leads or not as my dexterity isn't what it was. I will make a decision in the next few days:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_033.JPG

The engine and radiator were fitted to the subframe:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_034.JPG

The exhaust system was fitted to the underside of the floorpan:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_035.JPG

Front and rear suspension, rear axle and drivedrive shaft fitted:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_036.JPG

The wheels have been dry-fitted:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_037.JPG

The joins on the front seat halves were filled and sanded. The rear seats have been masked off and the next step will be to paint the grey floor and parcel shelf:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_038.JPG

That is all for now.

Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top work dave , iconic motor . Reminds me of seeing a few local lookalikes in the seventies but they were things like morris marinas or datsun cherries with the white stripe painted on , hardly California !! :tears-of-joy:

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
More progress to report.

The floorpan and parcel shelf have been painted with H67 Matt Tank Grey. The seats have also been painted with a mix of black and grey:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_039.JPG

Door panels were also painted with a mix of black and grey. Door handles and window winders were painted H11 Silver:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_040.JPG

Roof and pillars was brush painted with H67 Matt Tank Grey:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_041.JPG

Decals were applied to the radiator grille:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_042.JPG

Decals were also applied to the dashboard and door panels:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_043.JPG

The door panels, front seats, dashboard were glued to the floor:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_044.JPG

That is all for now.

Dave

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Another update.

It was finally time to start painting the bodywork. As I had already painted the interior, I had to spend quite a bit of time masking off before I could get my airbrush out:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_045.JPG

I am applying two or three coats of H60 Matt Scarlet as an undercoat which will be followed by either H19 Gloss Bright Red or H22 Gloss Ferrari Red. I will carry out a test of each colour before making my final decision. The Matt Scarlet hasn't dried yet in this picture:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_046.JPG

Bodyshell has got it's first coat too. I will need to apply two more:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_047.JPG

That is all for now.

Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Dave

Sorry missed the start of this. It's coming on very nicely indeed

How do you get on with Humbrol paints through an AB. A lot of people including me from what I have found them to very hit and miss..... sometimes fine but often not. If no issues, what's your secret!!

ATB.

Andrew

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Andrew @adt70hk,

I rarely have an issue using Humbrol enamels with any of my airbrushes irrespective of the Humbrol enamels being ones I have had for almost 20 years or just purchased last week. I find that the latest Humbrol enamels spray beautifully.

I normally mix Humbrol enamels to a 50-50 ratio using their thinners only. I never use different manufacturer's thinners with different paints (e.g. Revell thinners with Humbrol paints) and never use white spirit. Lots of thin coats is better than one thick coat.

I also strip and clean the airbrush after each colour which might sound over the top but it is a routine I am used to now.

Dave

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew @adt70hk,

I rarely have an issue using Humbrol enamels with any of my airbrushes irrespective of the Humbrol enamels being ones I have had for almost 20 years or just purchased last week. I find that the latest Humbrol enamels spray beautifully.

I normally mix Humbrol enamels to a 50-50 ratio using their thinners only. I never use different manufacturer's thinners with different paints (e.g. Revell thinners with Humbrol paints) and never use white spirit. Lots of thin coats is better than one thick coat.

I also strip and clean the airbrush after each colour which might sound over the top but it is a routine I am used to now.

Dave
Got it!! Thought you might have been using their acrylics..... Thanks again.

Andrew

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Another update.

The second coat of H60 Matt Scarlet applied to the bonnet:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_048.JPG

And to the bodyshell:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_049.JPG

The third coat of H60 Matt Scarlet applied to the bonnet:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_050.JPG

And the same to the bodyshell:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_051.JPG

I will be leaving the bodyshell and bonnet paint to cure for a couple of days before I do anything more with them. In the meantime I hope to get the edges of the window transparencies masked and painted.

That is all for now.

Dave

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
More painting to report.

Rather than paint the "rubber" on the bumper overriders, I used black stripe decals. Unfortunately, the striping has proved to be prone to damage so I will have to reapply some new ones at the very end of the build:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_052.JPG

Windows were masked ready for painting with H21 Satin Black:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_053.JPG

Then they were painted:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_054.JPG

I hadn't intended to paint the bodyshell and bonnet for another day or so but while testing the H220 Gloss Ferrari Red on the underside of the bonnet I decided that I would use it for the whole car:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_055.JPG

First coat of H220 Gloss Ferrari Red applied:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_056.JPG

Another view. It looks pretty good but it will get at least one more coat:
Revell_76_Ford_Torino_25_2023_SM_GB_057.JPG

That is all for now.

Dave