Developing a new modelling room

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Barry!!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have ordered a partition but I found it is being sent from China and will arrive in the first two weeks of October. Not what I thought would happen but I looked at a lot of these and none were quite right.

Consequently I will have to organise something temporary when I start spraying.

Here is how it looks now. I have not got everything out yet and everything is not in it’s final position but not far off.

7AF1AB16-1950-4EA2-BCA0-D412B5F6E8D1.jpeg

More tomorrow.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have made good progress today but still have a fair way to go.

Here is how it looks now:
6BFCA6B7-4099-438E-A56F-4F7726C1B1C1.jpeg

As you can see I have moved the spray area to the right to butt against the build area.

This gives me room to put a desk height shelf in to the left the the spray bench extending from wall to cupboard, nearly 6 feet. The shelves will be 18’’ deep for large scale aircraft. This desk level one will be for modelling books at the bench end and completed models on the rest. A high shelf will go around three sides of the room level with the the top of the door for storing, not displaying, complete models, while I will have another display shelf half way between the desk and top storage shelf. Even allowing for some space for my books I will end up with 10 feet of display shelves and about 32 feet of storage shelves. In my garage I managed with about 20 feet total display and storage space combined, so this is a big improvement. If I pushed it I could probably squeeze about double that but that’s maybe for the future.

A close up of the spray area
4B00EBFA-51B9-4EE8-80D0-55FD1ED208C7.jpeg

The build area
13B45818-2F34-4518-B1A7-58134F8F5FDD.jpeg

I still have some sorting to do and I might make some changes. For instance I want to add some ModelZone modules to increase my paint capacity. I may want to attach a unit to the wall for more paint/wash bottles as well. I also need to order a nice comfy chair and, of course, I need the screen to protect the printer from overspray, which is on order from China! Blinds are also awaited!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Really coming together now. You must be itching to get to the stage where you can sit down, put on some music, open a box and cut some plastic :thumb2:
Jim

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Barry.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have, on order, a nice comfy chair, some Hobbyzone modules and I have asked a carpenter for a quote to do the shelves. The blinds are on order and should be a couple of weeks.

As far as the rest of the flat is concerned I am still awaiting my nice comfy recliner and cannot do a great deal in the lounge until that arrives. This week I will take delivery of bedside tables, lights and a chest of drawers so, apart from the blinds and some pictures that room will be done this week. My bathroom won’t get done until October and they cannot install my new kitchen until January!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Barry in my opinion dont worry about things beyond your controll but to me it looks as though you are getting there thats all that matters as they say rome wer'nt built in a day
chris

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This morning, while waiting for bedroom furniture to be delivered I have sorted out the cupboard with my spares supplies and stash.

I managed to fit 18 kits in my stash right in the top. Now these are not small boxes and the cupboard goes up high inside so you cannot see them all.
E177C5D3-D08F-4B7B-9D80-02C50A7C5C9F.jpeg

Everything else has been arranged on shelves and on the floor of the cupboard.
05DF3CB8-4F29-4232-B12D-3F141FA9C3A1.jpeg
016AB3C4-79FF-42BD-8E8F-6230F561F807.jpeg
Of course everything I use regularly are on the bench on the Hobbyzone modules.

I have my next build on the desk though I am days away from making a start. The whole room looks a lot tidier. Have four large plastic boxes going spare!

A45D0405-5808-4D4A-914D-7A7CB2D6C66B.jpeg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I now have a nice new comfy chair…

32AAB696-31B2-4D28-9DE9-710976A4C485.jpeg

Left to do:
1/ Blinds, these are on order and hopefully will be fitted within a couple of weeks .
2/ New Hobbyzone units. I am changing the lay-out and these should arrive this week.
3/ Shelves. I am chasing someone to give me a quote.

I expect to start my next build once the Hobbyzone units are in place. Obviously I don’t need to wait for the blinds and shelves to start. My time currently is spent with flat packs and trips to the dump but hopefully by next week the worse of that will be over and the Hobbyzone units will be in place.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
Really looking good. A wonderful place for you to pursue your hobby. Mind you waiting for the kitchen and bathroom could mean that you'll be one very skinny and rather smelly modeller :smiling: :rolling::smiling:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hi Barry
Really looking good. A wonderful place for you to pursue your hobby. Mind you waiting for the kitchen and bathroom could mean that you'll be one very skinny and rather smelly modeller :smiling: :rolling::smiling:
Well, perhaps I should not bother to turn on the spray booth and rely on MRP fumes to cover the smell. ……..

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very sharp Barry.
You might want to re-home the AB holder. It's set up for a dive if you roll your chair back and knock it one. (ask me how I know :sad: )

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
A good point Ian, thanks. I have angled it away from the chair and there is more room than it looks in the photo. I have sat and moved around in the chair and it seems as if it might be OK

The photo is with the chair right back and it is more likely to catch on the corner of the spray bench than the airbrush. We will see!!!

image.jpg

Last edited:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
One possible change. When I get my 18’’ shelf at desk height I may reposition the printer into the shelf and off the desk. That means my modelling books will go on the desk between the printer and spray booth. This will give me a little more desk room when I spray to place sprayed parts, though there will be a Perspex divider in the way.

I also have a small Bluetooth speaker to go in front of the books.

image.jpg

Inter sting goes the photo gives the impression of much less space than there is. That gap between spray bench and wall is about 19’’.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
A lovely set up Barry.... Looks really good.

ATB

Andrew