Doug's 1/48 Airfix Sea King

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Great work Doug. One thing that works for me on exhaust stains is pastels. Really easy to apply with a cotton bud or brush. You can wash them straight off if it doesn't look right and dive right back in. I find it easier that a air brush. You do need either a matt or satin finish for the pastels to work. Enjoying following this build.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thank you Brian, Paul and Steve. Appreciate the positive feedback.
Steve, I don't as yet do pastels, something I will have to look into and acquire at some stage. I did some initial reading and there is lots out there and a great deal of choice.
I may try and dry brush some black in a small area just aft of the actual exhaust itself to get along with! My attempt is too even!
Screenshot 2024-05-12 at 19.33.16.png

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I think it looks pretty good, it's not like they'd stand out massively on a dark coloured aircraft I suppose.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
A wet day here on Fraggle Rock but didn't dampen my eagerness to get in the garage and dabble!!
To achieve a effect to simulate the sooty look behind the exhausts I thought I'd use a small torn off piece of sponge, dipped in a mix of Nato Black and Satin Black, most of the paint dabbed off the sponge before applying to the Sea King. Dabbed over the area a few times to build up a hopefully sooty look. Not that good on camera but looks fine to the naked eye.
Once that was done and dry, it was time for a coat of matt varnish as I thought enough is now enough.
The plan is to complete by the end of the week. I have a couple of broken items to return to their usual position. Front cabin door to fit complete with wire stays!. No HF aerial as that will have to wait until I source some suitable rigging material. My home made Mic-tel leads to be installed if the scale looks OK!!
Then - it'll be job done.
As usual - a few images.
Pic 1, Port side.
IMG_1410.JPG

Pic 2, Starboard side. Doorway now unmasked. (Note to myself, grab handles need a dab of paint).
IMG_1411.JPG

Pic 3, A peek inside the workers area. (Sonar and Observers positions).
IMG_1413.JPG

Pic 5, Stored, ready to have a cover over it all and allow 24 hours+ to allow the varnish to cure.
IMG_1414.JPG

Finish line now well and truly in sight.
Comments, good/bad all most welcomed.
Thanks to all of you helping with getting me here. I've learned a lot and have done a few things I would never have dreamed of doing a year ago. Thank you all.
Doug

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
It does at night when you get a 'wet' start!!! :smiling3: Bright orange flames tend to illuminate anything nearby!!!!
Wet starts at night are fun for ground crew….until you turn around after chocks and long lead only to be confronted with the fire section because someone reported a “fire”.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Wet starts at night are fun for ground crew….until you turn around after chocks and long lead only to be confronted with the fire section because someone reported a “fire”.
Always worrying when fire crews dash past you!!!
The Wessex 5’s put on a good wet start!!! Really spectacular!!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks Chris, not as adventurous as your big Cat but I've learned a fair bit during the journey!!
WELL Doug thats what modelin 's all about just tryin to see what you can aciheve on a model an you have most certainly done that when will we see the glass ?

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cheers Rick. Certainly won't be rushing. Mrs W has seen the weather forecast and gardening has suddenly become a priority.
Question? Can you layer the wash to get a darker effect or add more depth?
I'm cleaning off as much as I can in the larger areas and leaving more of the wash in places I think that need the definition. Inside of the strake and the tail fold for example. Don't know if you used it in the RAF, but PX24 used to leave a fair bit of streaking on the exterior unlike the good ole days of WD40 which tended to shine the airframe rather than dirty it.
I went out to the garage a short while ago and having left it for a few hours the colour change of the decals having a wash and the decals that haven't, the effect is very close!
Out of interest, what do you do to simulate soot from the exhausts?
Thanks again Rick for your input, most appreciated. :thumb2:
PX 24! (Preservative, Miscellaneous No.24) if my memory serves me well - I seem to recall there was a DefStan that covered all the oils, greases, lubricants and preservatives that existed in the various Service realms! Mind you, there seemed to be a DefStan for everything under the Sun! :thinking:
Steve

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
PX 24! (Preservative, Miscellaneous No.24) if my memory serves me well - I seem to recall there was a DefStan that covered all the oils, greases, lubricants and preservatives that existed in the various Service realms! Mind you, there seemed to be a DefStan for everything under the Sun! :thinking:
Steve
PX24 - the poor mans WD40!! But your right DefStans for everything!! The one I will never forget is AvPin, (Isopropyl Nitrate)!!. A starter liquid ignited by a humungous shotgun looking shell!!! A mono fuel that had a very very low flash point. Nearly cost me my sight and did cost a contractor his leg after kicking an empty can!!!. Seriously dodgy stuff!!!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
WELL Doug thats what modelin 's all about just tryin to see what you can aciheve on a model an you have most certainly done that when will we see the glass ?
Hopefully this week. Tomorrow's schedule has already changed and I haven't even been to sleep yet!!!! A stinky dog has an appointment with the bath but not before a quick trim by yours truly!!! (The trim/groom is the unscheduled bit!!) Could take an hour or could take three, pooch is a terrier so very unpredictable!!
Fingers crossed I should get time to remove the tape over the canopy.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
PX24 - the poor mans WD40!! But your right DefStans for everything!! The one I will never forget is AvPin, (Isopropyl Nitrate)!!. A starter liquid ignited by a humungous shotgun looking shell!!! A mono fuel that had a very very low flash point. Nearly cost me my sight and did cost a contractor his leg after kicking an empty can!!!. Seriously dodgy stuff!!!!
Wow! I couldn't remember why PX24 resonated until you mentioned WD40 - used in small plastic bottles for weapon cleaning and other (nefarious) purposes! Only Oily Naval Crabs would know that .and I thank you for nudging an old man's memory young Sir!
Steve

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Wow! I couldn't remember why PX24 resonated until you mentioned WD40 - used in small plastic bottles for weapon cleaning and other (nefarious) purposes! Only Oily Naval Crabs would know that .and I thank you for nudging an old man's memory young Sir!
Steve
Always used WD40 and the proper oil for weapon cleaning BUT!! I did get told a couple of tips for cleaning them. Very useful for SLR and Gimpy cleaning!! OM15, hydraulic fluid, very good for cleaning off any carbon deposits. Saved loads of hard rubbing!! Also, pouring boiling/very hot water down the barrels!! Bit naughty but I was a matelot for goodness sakes. Not supposed to have a bang stick!!
And thank you for the 'young' comment. Makes me feel bouncy at 72!!! (Mind you I still have a nightly duel with CoD on my PS5 every night!!!!!)