Dragon 1/35 Tiger mid-production w/zimmerit * Wheels, tracks & wash! *

D

dubster72

Hi all,

Here's my build of Dragon's Tiger I mid-production with zimmerit.

The box it comes in is pretty substantial, holding 560 parts. You get pe engine grilles, vision blocks for the periscope & visors.

View attachment 109868

Although Dragon kits can be fiddly to build, their attention to details raise them above Tamiya kits IMHO. For instance, the tow cable attachments are separate & all the weld seams are included.

So first step, building up the lower hull. The torsion bars fit very well & allow for movement of the wheels - handy if building a diorama.

View attachment 109869

There are sub-assemblies for the radiators & cooling fans, although how visible they'll be through the grilles remains to be seen.

View attachment 109870

The lower hull is painted in Tamiya Dark Yellow which is a pretty good approximation of Dunkelgelb.

View attachment 109871

View attachment 109872

This is the bow MG

View attachment 109873

View attachment 109874

Upper hull mostly finished

View attachment 109875

View attachment 109876

Radiator parts fitted

View attachment 109877

More to come in a while!

Thanks for looking

Patrick

IMG_20150514_155851.jpg

IMG_20150515_185603.jpg

IMG_20150517_231354.jpg

IMG_20150522_154334.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_20150522_154428.jpg

IMG_20150522_154449.jpg

IMG_20150522_154151.jpg

IMG_20150522_154226.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

First Name
Robert
Nice start Patrick ( I can see this being a clean build by you. Lovely detail and that bow mg is really nice.

I'll be keeping my eye on this

Regards

Robert

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Patrick

This is a really nice kit. I've built several early and late Tigers from Dragon (the latter with and without Zimm) and I can say they really are several levels above in terms of detail. They also have the correct asymmetrical turret which the Tamiya kits lack (although I think they may have rectified this in alater kits?). I still believe you can make a show stopper from the Tamiya plastic but it does require some work and a fair bit of aftermarket bits and pieces.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this come together: a. because you seem to be making a really good job of it and b. because I'm hankering after some armour builds myself having spent so long in the winged section of the forum!

I hope the main gun isn't much of an issue and you manage to sort that out.

Just as an aside I'd probably lighten the Tamiya Dark Yellow quite a bit. I've used it on several builds as a base but have always lighted it (quite significantly) for the main colour.

Torsion bars oh how I miss them!!!

Cheers

P

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wow, that is a lot of parts Patrick. Nice start, looking forward to more Tiger business.

First Name
Aaron
Perfect timing Patrick, looks like an awesome kit. Good luck with the fix, is the front turret plate upside down?

D

dubster72

\ said:
Hi Patrick
This is a really nice kit. I've built several early and late Tigers from Dragon (the latter with and without Zimm) and I can say they really are several levels above in terms of detail. They also have the correct asymmetrical turret which the Tamiya kits lack (although I think they may have rectified this in alater kits?). I still believe you can make a show stopper from the Tamiya plastic but it does require some work and a fair bit of aftermarket bits and pieces.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this come together: a. because you seem to be making a really good job of it and b. because I'm hankering after some armour builds myself having spent so long in the winged section of the forum!

I hope the main gun isn't much of an issue and you manage to sort that out.

Just as an aside I'd probably lighten the Tamiya Dark Yellow quite a bit. I've used it on several builds as a base but have always lighted it (quite significantly) for the main colour.

Torsion bars oh how I miss them!!!

Cheers

P
Cheers Paul! You must be dreaming about Spitfires!

The main hull & turret will have a lighter basecoat than the Tamiya Dark Yellow, I've used that to add some contrast to the lower area (although it'll probably be lost after I've added some dust & mud!

D

dubster72

\ said:
Perfect timing Patrick, looks like an awesome kit. Good luck with the fix, is the front turret plate upside down?
Thanks Aaron! Nope, it's just the section behind the mantlet thanks wrong- luckily I realised the binocular sights / coaxial MG were wrong before I glued it in place!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
it's just the section behind the mantlet thanks wrong
I know exactly the piece you mean. Made this error myself on a couple of occasions but always managed to sort it out before the glue went off. I knew you'd be lightening the Dark Yellow or using it for shadow area as you know this sort of stuff, I just thought it was worth mentioning for anyone else reading.

What theatre of operation are you thinking for the camo - Normandy, Eastern front or perhaps Italy?

Cheers

P

D

dubster72

\ said:
I know exactly the piece you mean. Made this error myself on a couple of occasions but always managed to sort it out before the glue went off. I knew you'd be lightening the Dark Yellow or using it for shadow area as you know this sort of stuff, I just thought it was worth mentioning for anyone else reading.
What theatre of operation are you thinking for the camo - Normandy, Eastern front or perhaps Italy?

Cheers

P
I'm thinking of Normandy, although Italy is interesting as it's strangely less well represented in modelling.

D

dubster72

\ said:
Pleased that even the best make mistakes.:rolleyes:
Nice work Patrick and a nice presentation. :smiling3:

Laurie
Not sure about the " best " tag Laurie! If you ever come to build a Dragon kit you'll see how bad their instructions are - that's my excuse!

D

dubster72

Cheers Jim!

The hull & turret are finished & a coat of Poundshop primer applied.

View attachment 110200

View attachment 110201

I've sprayed some red oxide primer where the exhaust shrouds will go as I think this area wouldn't get any paint.

View attachment 110202

Painted the insides of the shrouds likewise

View attachment 110203

And finished the exhausts themselves. I painted them dark grey by brush, sprinkled bicarbonate of soda over them while the paint was still tacky & then applied washes of oils.

View attachment 110204

Right, time to tackle the roadwheels!

Cheers

Patrick

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024_1.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_20150526_145224.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg