Dragon - Sd.kfz 251/6 Ausf. C

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
Sorry to go on but I have found this picture of what may be a SdKfz 222 radio vehicle. Just to the right of the drivers seat appears a dark box type item very similar to the kit part you have.
View attachment 143556
I think it probably is a battery or accumulator Graham ........ Whatever it is its in there, painted Grey and been dry brushed with a darker clour to pick out the detail...... If anyone ever asks me I'll tell 'em its a "Notfall- Bratwurst -Maschine".

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Looking real good peter and suitably weathered. :smiling3:
Thanks Ralph, much appreciated ....... I'm pleased with the result.

\ said:
This really is coming along a treat Peter;)
Thanks tom, much appreciated mate............. I'm not sure about the wiring yet, as I think it might be a bit thick for the scale ........... I don't think it'll be that visible when the sides and top are on. So I'll see what happens. none of it is fixed as yet so I can always take it out..

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
real liking this one Peter,looking good very well done so far,

good work on all theres radios,and the seat color looks good as well,

and under the watchful eyes of the furry one,lol,they see all, ;)

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
real liking this one Peter,looking good very well done so far,
good work on all theres radios,and the seat color looks good as well,

and under the watchful eyes of the furry one,lol,they see all, ;)
Thanks Monica........... Much appreciated. What do you recon on the wiring???? I keep thinking it's too heavy a gauge for the scale. I think it needs to come off and I'll have to find something smaller......... Maybe even some coarse black shoemakers thread. Back in 1940s cable was often fabric covered anyway.

T

tommy1drop

Hi Peter have you got any old telephone cable, I always used this for electrical wiring in vehicle's, pretty good for scale mate;)

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Hi Peter have you got any old telephone cable, I always used this for electrical wiring in vehicle's, pretty good for scale mate;)
Thanks Tom........ We have some at work. I'll go over the workshop tomorrow, subdue the blokes in there with some "James Bond Type Knock Out Gas" and nick some of theirs...........

D

dubster72

\ said:
Thanks Monica........... Much appreciated. What do you recon on the wiring???? I keep thinking it's too heavy a gauge for the scale. I think it needs to come off and I'll have to find something smaller......... Maybe even some coarse black shoemakers thread. Back in 1940s cable was often fabric covered anyway.
The first thing that I thought was " ooh chunky power cabling ", but then it was 1940s equipment with valves & they drew a lot of current. So maybe the thickness works?

After all, we're used to modern semiconductor kit - I bet that radio rig was the place to be on a chilly night ;)

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
The first thing that I thought was " ooh chunky power cabling ", but then it was 1940s equipment with valves & they drew a lot of current. So maybe the thickness works?
After all, we're used to modern semiconductor kit - I bet that radio rig was the place to be on a chilly night ;)
That makes a lot of sense Patrick. I'll leave it for now. I'll give it a matt coat to take the shine off it and as I put in my earlier post most of it won't be seen anyway......... I'll get some boot-makers thread for the cables to the crew headsets as that'll need to be thinner and will need to droop down some as well.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I would of said what Tommy had,

and do agree with Patrick at the same time,being older would be thinker,as well, ;)

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
I made a start on the figures last night .......... Well at least I attempterd to...........

The two radio operators look to be really good and each comes with three different head options............ The driver ia a nonsense there is absolutely no way he is going in there. As he is the best that is going to happen is his "butt" is hovering way obove the seat. So I think he is going to have to undergo some surgery........ I'll try straightening his legs and see what happens. but it mayend up with him either losing his boots or I have to do some surgery on the footwell to get the clearance...........

.............and the most important figure. The "Officer" (all standing up and looking resplendant in his Great Coat) doesn't appear to come with the kit. So I'll have to find one........

........... and then I lost interest...... and read a book for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fenlander

As you will not see much around the drivers footwell, chop his legs down, easier than chopping the footwell area :smiling3:

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
As you will not see much around the drivers footwell, chop his legs down, easier than chopping the footwell area :smiling3:
I think that's going to be the way forward Graham. Whatever happens his legs are going to have to be straightened. That's fairly easy. I'll just slice through his ligaments behind the knees straighten them and throw in some filler or miliput into the gap.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
I decided to break his legs and I had to cut through the little fella's spine as he was leaning back too far. I've put some milliput in the gaps, when that's gone hard I can sand it to shape and then give him a bit of a scrub.......... He got rather black from the tealight I used to soften him a little............ but he fits. Quite why Dragon couldn't come up with a figure that fitted is beyond me.

DSCN2475.JPG

DSCN2476.JPG

DSCN2477.JPG

DSCN2482.JPG

F

Fenlander

In my own experience, drivers rarely fit :oops:. Got a Russian SPG from MiniArt in the stash, built one before that came with one of their buildings. Has some great crew figures but you cannot fit them in the fighting compartment. I think the Tamiya 'D' comes with a driver, look forward to operating on him lol.