Dzhon Race. TIGER 1 Tamiya 1/35

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Right into the fray with my first and possible last Tiger.!:smiling3:

A rare thing for me to build any thing German, but I do have a few in my stash. This was recommended by Jakko when I asked several weeks ago.

I plan to add some good old Friuls to make the tracks easier to do. I've used these quite a few times now and really enjoy doing them.

Nothing more that the tracks, no fancy barrels, a certainly not any PE.
Planning a street dio, now just to prove to a certain Lord of the South :smiling: I have conducted some lengthy research into this and plan to build it as Tank No 332 of the sPzAbt 503 Russia ( WHERE ELSE ) October 1943. !!!!

It might just have landed its self in trouble !!!!!!!!!! Fire ????

TIGER BUILD  2019.jpg

Seats are available, seating is supplied, coffee and strong tea and biscuits. You will be searched upon entry for any carpet monsters, and matches.

Dzhon.

D

Deleted member 7181

I'll take a seat near the back please John. Strong tea & biscuits sound just the job. Give me a nod if you need a hand serving out.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'll take a seat near the back please John. Strong tea & biscuits sound just the job. Give me a nod if you need a hand serving out.
Andy, looks like you will be better moving down the front, also hand out the biscuits could you, looks like we are going to be on our own:smiling3: Must have been something I said about German tanks :tongue-out3:.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Good evening comrade Race,

A Tamiya Tiger.....believe me you cant go wrong with that:smiling4:

Just finishing building that exact same kit myself as tiger 332 ! I’ll PM you a picture in a bit.

I have my seat at the front with Andy.....I brought in a few gluten free rock cakes for you and a bottle of brandy for medicinal purposes only:nerd:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
This was recommended by Jakko when I asked several weeks ago.
It was? I’ve never built that particular kit (my only 1:35 Tiger ever was the Tamiya one released about 30 years ago — not their original Tiger from the ’70s) so I doubt I’d recommend this one except in general lines (“You can’t really go wrong with Tamiya”), but if you say so …

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
I'm in. Front row please. Tea with milk but no sugar and I particularly like choccie biccies. I'll bring a fire extinquisher just in case - you know how it is, better safe than sorry :tongue-out3:
Jim

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Dzhon,

Looks interesting, I'm sure you'll do it justice.

Did someone mention fire extinguisher?

Coffee, black, 2 sugars, stirred 100 times clockwise please whilst I squeeze onto the driveway!!

Airport_Fire_Engine_(6114407534).jpg

:smiling3::tongue-out3:
Do you have any plain choccie digestives?

Paul.
:smiling3::smiling3::smiling3::smiling3:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Evening John

It seems to be the "in" kit, as I have one on my bench being converted back to a VK 45.01 (H) a la Bill Hazard,

I have brought some fig rolls, if you don't mind.

I have Fruil mirrored tracks which are under construction at present.

Its a good starter kit for a Tiger "virgin"

Sounds light you have got a plan all organised

Have fun John

Regards

Steve H

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
A great way to introduce yourself to the world of Tigers. The 332 is quite a well known Tiger with lots of information on it. There are some famous photos of it stuck and pulled out of the Russian mud which may be of interest for you if you want to do a dio. I hope you sought out the issue with the tracks and sprocket. My only suggestion is you dont paint it grey but go for Dunkelgelb. It may have had a camo pattern by October 1943 also if you need more information on that. Good luck mate

17991867_1973045376276074_7125463739152654270_n.jpg
Tiger_332_503.jpgTiger_I_number_332__sPzAbt._503_4.jpg
a44d8631dd7c8204bcef7663763e166c.jpg

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good evening comrade Race,

A Tamiya Tiger.....believe me you cant go wrong with that:smiling4:

Just finishing building that exact same kit myself as tiger 332 ! I’ll PM you a picture in a bit.

I have my seat at the front with Andy.....I brought in a few gluten free rock cakes for you and a bottle of brandy for medicinal purposes only:nerd:
Really, watch me :smiling2: oh yes for the gluten free rock cakes and the brandy:blow-kiss:
Thanks Si.
It was? I’ve never built that particular kit (my only 1:35 Tiger ever was the Tamiya one released about 30 years ago — not their original Tiger from the ’70s) so I doubt I’d recommend this one except in general lines (“You can’t really go wrong with Tamiya”), but if you say so …
Hi Jakko,it was indeed , when I mentioned that I had another make of a tiger you suggested the Tamiya would be a better one to go for.
Hi John
I'm in. Front row please. Tea with milk but no sugar and I particularly like choccie biccies. I'll bring a fire extinquisher just in case - you know how it is, better safe than sorry :tongue-out3:
Jim
You never know Jim, things can get out of hand and self combustion can occur.
Dzhon,

Looks interesting, I'm sure you'll do it justice.

Did someone mention fire extinguisher?

Coffee, black, 2 sugars, stirred 100 times clockwise please whilst I squeeze onto the driveway!!

View attachment 359345

:smiling3::tongue-out3:
Do you have any plain choccie digestives?

Paul.
:smiling3::smiling3::smiling3::smiling3:
Plain choccie available Paul,
please speak to head of catering Mr Benson.
Good choice in your mode of transportation. !

Fancy suggesting your might set something alight John.....if you want me to have a word then just say mate:smiling5:
No it ok Si, Paul and Jim are just being cautious. Bit of cheek really but they are nice enough chaps .:smiling2::smiling2:.
Evening John

It seems to be the "in" kit, as I have one on my bench being converted back to a VK 45.01 (H) a la Bill Hazard,

I have brought some fig rolls, if you don't mind.

I have Fruil mirrored tracks which are under construction at present.

Its a good starter kit for a Tiger "virgin"

Sounds light you have got a plan all organised

Have fun John

Regards

Steve H
Thanks Steve, and welcome, you can have the comfortable arm chair with the foot stool if your knees are aching.
By all means bring your own fig rolls, just don't show Mr Jones, he will think we are in Tunisia and expect a desert camo !
A great way to introduce yourself to the world of Tigers. The 332 is quite a well known Tiger with lots of information on it. There are some famous photos of it stuck and pulled out of the Russian mud which may be of interest for you if you want to do a dio. I hope you sought out the issue with the tracks and sprocket. My only suggestion is you dont paint it grey but go for Dunkelgelb. It may have had a camo pattern by October 1943 also if you need more information on that. Good luck mate

View attachment 359348
View attachment 359350View attachment 359351
View attachment 359349
Steve ,looks very much like the soil from the Kursk area, I fancy doing a street diorama, with the tiger on a corner or dug in to a building .
John .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks interesting Dzhon, I'll pull up a chair & a fire extinguisher.
Hi Graeme, nearly crossed posts then , welcome and bring the fire extinguisher, you can spray the front row if they get too rowdy .
Seat at the front please strong tea no sugar and a couple of hob nobs please.
Hob nobs it is Paul,tea is on it's way.

John

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm in the back next to the door to run interference with Matron if you happen to get a little crazy with the hot stuff. So it's 332 in October 1943, that would be fall and there would be lots of real estate in Ruskieland to scatter autumn leaves if you were to place this in a Dio. LOL For now, just pass the biscuits and tea. BTW, I've done a few tigers and have sources, feel free if necessary.
Cheers, Rick H.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Tea and biscuits plus no fire, I'm in
Right on Mick, Si is making his way to your seat with some freshly made biscuits and a cup of tea.

I'm in the back next to the door to run interference with Matron if you happen to get a little crazy with the hot stuff. So it's 332 in October 1943, that would be fall and there would be lots of real estate in Ruskieland to scatter autumn leaves if you were to place this in a Dio. LOL For now, just pass the biscuits and tea. BTW, I've done a few tigers and have sources, feel free if necessary.
Cheers, Rick H.
Thanks for the offer of help Rick, I'm ok at the moment , have no desire to burn anything as of yet, but that might change when I start the buildings .Can't see the need for any autumn leaves as all the leaves would have been blown off !!:smiling3: .

Right made a real head way on this , a complete pleasure to build, a marked difference to some of the recent kits I have attempted to build.

Going for the A version 1944.

TIGER BUILD  2019.jpg

TIGER BUILD  2019_4.jpg

TIGER BUILD  2019_3.jpgTIGER BUILD  2019_3.jpg

TIGER BUILD  2019_2.jpg

Only one thing I can understand, where to fit the two rear smoke ? or mine hurlers. Can't see anywhere they should go on the corners. These at the front went on ok, but had more trouble trying to line them up for fitting as I could not judge the depth, after several attempts they went on. A good thing I had some slow setting glue.

Question re the wheels, suppose I should paint these before fitting ? as I can see any paint getting in when they are all on.
Barrel is ready to fir, leaving all the tools and cables off until they and the model are painted, also noted I need to get some decals on the side before I fit the smaller towing cables on the side.
The air intake pipes could have been better I suppose, but found the instructions on fitting the inner ones a bit vague.

Right comments , advice, abuse all welcome.

Dzhon.

D

Deleted member 7181

Looking good John.

Obviously I'm no help at all with the technical questions but it seems to be coming together nicely.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Only one thing I can understand, where to fit the two rear smoke ? or mine hurlers. Can't see anywhere they should go on the corners. These at the front went on ok, but had more trouble trying to line them up for fitting as I could not judge the depth, after several attempts they went on. A good thing I had some slow setting glue.

If you are talking about the smoke grenade launchers F40 and F38 mate they go on like this

131-smoke-grenade-launcher-1-2ef8098.jpg131-smoke-grenade-launcher-2-2ef809c.jpg5264029910_94369828fb_b.jpg

Defo paint the wheels and tyres first before adding them to the finished build

As for the air filters on the back, you should have a bracket to hold them together like this

COPYscan0001.jpg

Off to a nice start mate. Well done