Early Scimitar.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Back in the day, based in Munster we were given a couple of new Scimitars to try out - say no more, Jaguar engine was enough to get the juices flowing. Needless to say that after a couple of weeks we were bored with them and the Scimitars were knackered and on their way back to the UK and we returned to our boring 432's...
So had this kit in the stash for some time and decided to have a go at it again.
20230803_100928_HDR.jpg
I see you have spotted the resin items... But did you spot the deliberate mistake - In my rush when originally starting the build I cemented the front to the back and the back to the front of the lower hull, and never realised untill today.
20230803_103424_HDR.jpg
So problem repaired and work progresses (such a joy there was a spare in the stash). Scorpiom Miniature Models are the manufacturers and the parts are well cast, but be carefull as some are very fragile.
20230803_102742_HDR.jpg
And here they are set out ready for the clean up. Notice the numbers on the locating plugs, to be sanded off when each one is ready to be attached.
More later
Cheers
Mike.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Cool, the Scimitar always looks nice and sporty. Is it going to be built and painted to be one of those you got to try out?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I'm in. Another masterpiece in the making. Not a kit for beginners.
Nice to see that even modellers of your calibre can make basic cock ups. Makes the rest of us feel better;)
Always rather nice to build a model of a subject you have a personal connection with.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Cool, the Scimitar always looks nice and sporty. Is it going to be built and painted to be one of those you got to try out?
Oh! you mean like knackered suspension, oil dripping out of the final drives, steam from the radiator, sagging tracks from the lack of working tensioners - no!

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I'm in. Another masterpiece in the making. Not a kit for beginners.
Nice to see that even modellers of your calibre can make basic cock ups. Makes the rest of us feel better;)
Always rather nice to build a model of a subject you have a personal connection with.
Yeah! I can feel the halo tightening around my neck already :sleeping2:...

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
So, the holes for the original front suspension have been filled, and the suspension arms for one side have been fitted...
20230807_112958_HDR.jpg
As you can see the technical jig is in place to make sure of correct stance. Also visible are the bolt holes that were left when the flotation screen was removed. And the 4mm space has been marked out, see below pic.
20230807_113038_HDR.jpg
The idler wheel and track adjustment arm (LA) as seen above are different. this is not a moulding problem but as can be seen below it all becomes clear...
20230807_113056_HDR.jpg
As explained in the instructions - if you need to adjust the track tension, then the arms can be cut off and re-joined once the track tension has been taken up.
Note to self - better get busy and build up the tracks.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Still with a few small parts to add the suspension is near complete. Will get the wheels test fitted on the second half, did find one location that will need some attention but still the work is progressing ok.

20230807_153255_HDR.jpg

Cheers
Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wibble, It gives us mere mortals great pleasure to read that even you get things wrong, and admit it .
Yours amazingly
Wobble.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update, All the sispension is now fitted although I did replace the pivot arms with thin brass rod, all the wheels, idlers and drive sprockets are ready for priming. And now just doing the track dance, and you really do not want to see pics of that - you do......
More later
Mike

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Wibble, It gives us mere mortals great pleasure to read that even you get things wrong, and admit it .
Yours amazingly
Wobble.
Yes but when I make a muck up of the job, you can guarantee it's a good one... But I did spend half an hour trying to claim the photos/instructions were wrong and I was right.... Just like the mother at the passing out parade who claimed the band were playing the wrong tune, and her son was the only one in step....

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update.
Tracks are built, 75 links in each. All wheels, idlers and drive sprockets added, new exhaust pipe and the air intake on the rear added...
20230813_093807_HDR.jpg
New resin turret in background, more of that later...
20230813_093825_HDR.jpg
The new rear stowage box is moulded as a block part, unfortunately there needed to be a bit of filling done on the underside, but nothing a lump of Milliput could not handle...
More later
Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wibble
Nice to see those tracks .

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Bet you were a whizz at laying cement and icing cakes!
Nice to see the tracks done.
That was the job where I got a nice smooth finish with the float - the promptly got up and walked all over it..... As for the cake, could never get the mix right, it was either hard in the bowl or running down the sides of the cake....

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Where did the Scimitar for in. Was it before the 432, same time?

Nice work there too Mike. Way over my head!!

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Where did the Scimitar for in. Was it before the 432, same time?

Nice work there too Mike. Way over my head!!
They introduced the Scimitar/Scorpion to the British Army in 1974, but we were allowed to play with them about a year earlier, and they were sent to us in Munster so that prying eyes could not see them in the UK. So we just belted them around the barracks and basically ran them into the ground, and then we were asked what we thought of them.
The 432 was much earlier and we had them about 1970, during which time due to all leave being used up, a couple of us 432 drivers got the job of changing all the tracks on the company 432's, and a few days later we were given the job of fitting the 'SCAT' mount (Should'nt Cost A Tenner) for the 120mm WOMBAT Anti-tank gun to all the company vehicles which before were only carried inside and dismounted for firing. Now the gun was above the roof and could fire, but still had to stop...
w2.jpg
20230401_094034_HDR.jpg
Work in progress....
Mike.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
The rear bin is finished, although I did get rid of the cast rope and hooks. Also the tow hitch was replaced....
20230814_152509_HDR.jpg
A bit of tapering required to the ends of the rope...
20230814_152518_HDR.jpg
New bolt heads added to the engine cover, and the blank for the drivers hatch.
20230814_152530_HDR.jpg
And yes the brass is out of its box,
More to come...
Mike.