Early Scimitar.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Many thanks for the comments, and yes, the straps do take a bit of getting used to.
So, have been working away both on this and the Churchill (only adding kit parts so nothing really to report, just cut, clean and glue). Still adding and replacing parts with both the hull and turret getting close to the primer every day.
20230828_162133_HDR.jpg
Overview, the barrel has yet to be glued in place.
20230828_162100_HDR.jpg
New turret, side bins and rear bin from Scorpion Miniature Models with etch tie downs from Eduard set 35 633.
20230828_162112_HDR.jpg
The camping mats are from Milliput, and the electrical conduit and bracket from solder and aluminium. The bin latches are via an old Challenger set although the Eduard set does contain some.
20230828_162121_HDR.jpg
The 'winky-wink' light from the resin replacement was a bit soft on detail, so it is getting replaced. And that is the end of the straps I think - next are the bungee hooks!!!
The holes you see along the length are the bolt holes from when the flotation screen was removed.
And that is all I have done today, now going to attack the fridge for some goodies...
Cheers
Mike.

Last edited:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Olderthanme,

Been following this project all along and thought I had commented. Sorry, but I haven't. So...........

Comment!!!

Seriously Mike, I always love to see you go the extra mile when you build something. Most excellent scratchy Sir!!! You definitely deserve a snack Mike, but don't let the little beastie biter see it or it will be his instead!!!...

Prost
Youngerthanyou

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hi Olderthanme,

Been following this project all along and thought I had commented. Sorry, but I haven't. So...........

Comment!!!

Seriously Mike, I always love to see you go the extra mile when you build something. Most excellent scratchy Sir!!! You definitely deserve a snack Mike, but don't let the little beastie biter see it or it will be his instead!!!...

Prost
Youngerthanyou
Hello Youngerthanme,
No problem with not commenting, always good to hear from you.
The snack turned out to be a ham and cheese omelet with a side of fried tomatoes, all fried in butter....
No problem with the little biter, I let the SWMBO eat her snack first then tuck into mine while she is fighting them off.
Prost
Olderthanyou.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
The build of the vehicle is now all but finished....
20230830_103045_HDR.jpg
20230830_103054_HDR.jpg
All that needs to be added is the start of the Cam net...
20230830_110940_HDR.jpg
Net taking shape...
20230830_120517_HDR.jpg
And tied down.
This will be allowed to dry for 24 hours as the net was soaked in a water/pva solution so it would keep its shape once dry.
Next job will be masking and priming.
Cheers
Mike.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Update,
The build of the vehicle is now all but finished....
View attachment 489613
View attachment 489614
All that needs to be added is the start of the Cam net...
View attachment 489615
Net taking shape...
View attachment 489616
And tied down.
This will be allowed to dry for 24 hours as the net was soaked in a water/pva solution so it would keep its shape once dry.
Next job will be masking and priming.
Cheers
Mike.
Love the orange flashy light on the turret.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That net looks very convincing. What’s it made from? The mesh seems to large to be a piece of bandage soaked in glue?

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
That net looks very convincing. What’s it made from? The mesh seems to large to be a piece of bandage soaked in glue?
It's from 'Fields of Glory Models' code FOG5000B. And it is so much better than the bandage and once the painting is complete then I add the little green and brown bits for the camo net...
20230831_104855_HDR.jpg
like this... (old Accurate Armour Chieftain).

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Many thanks for the comments.
Jim, that is what happens when you get dragged into the dark side..
Doug, some old 'winky-wink' lights from AA bought many years ago and just remembered, went through a whole cd cover the other night trying the push mould just one!!!!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
WOW
Up to your normal build quality Wibble .
Wobble still busy on 1/1.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Primer coat went on, but it might have been me or the primer as there seemed to be a lot of dust around, but not to worry.
20230902_094325_HDR.jpg
This was AK 3rd gen black primer. I forgot to mask the 'winky-wink' light and the pic was taken just after I had cleaned of the primer with some airbrush cleaner.
Top coat was next, first a coat of Scale Model Shop CARC Green, followed a couple of hours later with some Scale Model Shop CARC Black....
20230904_084122_HDR.jpg
The cam net was then dry brushed with some brown, although it does not look brown in the pic, and the rope used to tie it down was Hemp. Yoy can see some of the bits I mentioned earlier on the glacis plate and turret top, again this is enlarged due to the photo. Now it is going to be decals and detail painting.
Cheers
Mike.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Looking great ,shame all the hard graft has disappeared but it still looks something special love the netting. Dave

De.Mort

SMF Supporter
First Name
Iain
Can i just say .. apart from the excellent work .. people like me learn from what's posted .. i can copy .. i can't do original stuff .. i've tried .. but copy is good for me as i learn .. thank you .

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking good Mike. The roughness of the primer coat is strange. Do you think something has settled on the wet paint or is it bits in the paint itself? I don't think the current high temperature makes airbrushing easy.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Can i just say .. apart from the excellent work .. people like me learn from what's posted .. i can copy .. i can't do original stuff .. i've tried .. but copy is good for me as i learn .. thank you .
Then copy away, no foul and a pleasure to teach you. If you need any help with a process, please feel free to ask, even a PM will get a reply.
Mike.