You're doing great Jim, 1/48th pe is easy try 1/72th for whingy things...
Good planning too, I came to the same set-up when wanting to glue as much as possible and still make an easy paint-job a reality.
Keep up the good work sir.
Well I found you Jim, looks to be a great start as usual.
For me I need to figure out how this site works then I will try to post the rest of the Henschel build.
Will add a link to the blog as MM looks to be still there but not posting what was recently added.
What are you doing about your unfinished blogs.
Hi all Peter - me too Pete - glad to have you along Steve - it is nice to start something on here. I was lucky in that the tug boat was almost finished before MilMod went down. Fernando - I seem to be spending a lot of time dry fitting and thinking "If I glue this will I still be able to paint what is necessary?" Ken - I have only done a couple of planes before and this is a great kit but quite demanding. Peter - what worried me about that PE was the bends were very fragile and I knew I had to get it right first time. Ron - I am so glad you have come here. Wouldn't be the same without you. The site is OK to use. I don't have much unfinished. Quite a few of the guys are completing blogs started on MiMod.
Managed a couple of hours this afternoon but not much to show - just more cockpit bits. The paints came today from Scale Model Shop - very quick delivery
Thanks again for encouragement
Ah the joys of Aircraft modelling, it always seems that way when you work on the cockpits but once painted and you close up the fuselage, progress is a lot faster. Nice progress so far though.
Jim, that cockpit looks good mate. Good show on the PE part as well! Looking forward to see more.
And in enthousiasm for this thread I started my BF109 cockpit too...but I guess I wasn't 100% 'there' with my head and I folded some etch part the wrong way ...reminds me that you need to keep focus. Oh well, in the meantime I enjoy following this one!
Ross and Joe - glad to have you look in
Well these cockpits are certainly testing. Much time, patience and bad language is needed. Done now apart from a wash to dirty it up a bit and then fit the fuselage halves around it. I have dry fitted it and it seems OK but until its done I will worry! Eduard provide PE seat belts which are pre-painted. Problem I found was when they were bent to shape the coloured layer came off at the bend so some touch up was needed.
Anyway some photos. It is stuck on a milk container cap so that gives some idea of how small it is!
Thanks for your support
Seems a while since I had any progress to show but time for a bit of an update. Got the fuselage together. The fit was brilliant. Only a tiny smear of filler needed in front of the cockpit and that was just a bit of a sunken glue line rather than poor fit. The engine exhausts were fine although the instructions took a bit of figuring out. Again the engine cover was a perfect fit - just dry fitted at the moment. So little sanding needed that there were hardly any panel lines or rivets to reinstate.
The wheel wells were built up and painted. I used the Mr Color paint but picked up the wrong thinner - Tamiya X-20A instead of the lacquer thinner. I didn't know an airbrush could get so clogged up. The paint was like jelly I don't like stripping down the airbrush at the best of times. Being a hot day didn't help! Anyway it's OK now and I'll be more careful in future. It does show that although the MrC paint is similar in many ways to Tamiya it must have some important difference.
Thanks for watching.
Hi Jim, glad that the airbrush is ok after the thinner mix up.
Maybe X20 can be used with the Gunze aqua range, when I got my first bottles awhile back the saleslady at the LHS warned me about mixing up the Mr.C thinner with the aqua paint as it will turn into jelly and clogg the AB...