First project: Sea King HAR3

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Steve,

Sorry missed the start of this. Hopefully COVID didn't hit you too hard?

You've made a great start. You could try letting them sit in very warm water for a time or a hairdryer if you have access to one.... Just a thought.

ATB.

Andrew

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Finally got round to starting it.
Hasn’t gone to bad, but got a warped set of seats. Can’t find away to straighten them, any ideas guys??View attachment 450082

Personally, I would leave them as they are, The only bit visible when the fuselage is together is a tiny section of rail through the window. Don’t forget to paint it!

First Name
Steve
Progress so far, main paint job done. A few colour changes to take care of.
Had trouble with getting both fuselages to fit properly, came very close to binning it. Managed to get a good fit in the end.
As said at the start, first model for 50+ years. Using stuff that I’ve never used before like liquid mask, Eduard precut masking, Clear paint on canopy, Decalfix among a few. Got on well with most, but have major problems cleaning some windows after the Eduard masking. Got on well with the rest though.
Thinking about weathering now, will need advice on that.
Thanks for all the advice so far, more welcome.
I fairly pleased with what I’ve done so far, made some mistakes, but with the dose of Covid mid assembly not helping, it looks fairly good.
Hopefully will finish by the weekend.
Thanks again guys.
74D629C1-2A4A-4A71-90C3-83D2EA6F6984.jpeg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Steve looking very good an yes i will proberly have the same problem with jioning the fusalarge havrfles an when i treid it without pressing hard it was a job to line them up so i suppose i will have to do it a bit at a time but yours looks very good indeed an im glad you dint bin it but what problems did you have with the Eduard masking. as i have some as well ? to fit on my seaking
chrisb

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s not looking half bad, especially if you haven’t built a model in decades :smiling3:

First Name
Steve
HI Steve looking very good an yes i will proberly have the same problem with jioning the fusalarge havrfles an when i treid it without pressing hard it was a job to line them up so i suppose i will have to do it a bit at a time but yours looks very good indeed an im glad you dint bin it but what problems did you have with the Eduard masking. as i have some as well ? to fit on my seaking
chrisb
Firstly the cut was done correctly or deep enough. Got that sorted ok, put on undercoat and a couple of top coats , let it try for a couple of days. Come to demask, fluid mask ok, Eduard masks some were ok but the 3 front canopy windows were terrible. Looks like the sticky part of the mask has stayed on.
Now trying thinners or soaking it as don’t want to scratch it.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Firstly the cut was done correctly or deep enough. Got that sorted ok, put on undercoat and a couple of top coats , let it try for a couple of days. Come to demask, fluid mask ok, Eduard masks some were ok but the 3 front canopy windows were terrible. Looks like the sticky part of the mask has stayed on.
Now trying thinners or soaking it as don’t want to scratch it.
MANY THANKS Steve for the info on them Eduard masking. so to avoid that i will fit it an then rattle can spray it in one day an get the masks off the next day so hopefully it wont leave a sticky resadude on the glass cheers im glad you warned me about that an try thinners or white spirit on a test bit of glass an see what happens
ATB chris b

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice job on the yellow...not easy that. When it comes to masking, I would remove as soon as the paint is dry to the touch as firstly it will give a neat line and secondly there is less chance of glue residue remaining.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Also at another time it would be better to have the canopy masking on while weathering.

Cheers,
Richard.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Coming on well Steve. White spirit or WD40 will get the sticky residue off.
Pete

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
For your return to the hobby that's some offering, and in yellow . Not bad at all .
You must be happy .
Oh glad your on the mend .

First Name
Steve
Well I’ve finished it, kind off. Whilst try to clean up the canopy I managed to break it into three.
I careful removed it from the fuselage, where upon inspection I found over spray on the inside, so obviously I hadn’t fitted it correctly, big lesson learned. So no completed photos yet.
Can anyone tell me where I can obtain a new canopy or does anyone have one?
Still very pleased with what I’ve done after 50 odd years, so shall continue to learn more skills from you guys.
Got two projects lined up, a Fast American patrol boat and a Scammel Pioneer 1945 Recovery tractor which will be interesting as I used to drive one when an apprentice in the HGV accident and repair business. Which was bought by a friend and restored to its original RAF status.
Thanks for the advice and help on project one, all appreciated.
Oh, have aquired a second hand airbrush so tips needed.
Cheers Steve.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Let us know how you get on Steve .
Replies from manufacturers are always interesting , esp after the TV show about Airfix .

First Name
Steve
Just received an email from Airfix to say my new canopy has been dispatched and hopefully may arrive tomorrow, Thursday.
Less than 24hours from my original email to there’s stating the parts are on there way. Think I can handle that ok.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just received an email from Airfix to say my new canopy has been dispatched and hopefully may arrive tomorrow, Thursday.
Less than 24hours from my original email to there’s stating the parts are on there way. Think I can handle that ok.
Sounds like excellent service to me :thumb2: