Fitting metal barrels to a ship?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Afternoon Bob,

The guys have given you a lot of good info here and it should help with the metal barrels. You probably have about 20 float thingy's in the stash and and I would think you will also have to drill out portholes and other barrels and the like. You need something that will do these jobs quickly and efficiently without any stress. You could drill them out by hand, use a little electric drill OR you could stop playing around and get one of these,

View attachment 460740

The table is fully adjustable so you get the perfect depth every time. you can change the chuck and use bits down to 0.2 mm for the little jobs. 50 portholes drilled out in 5 minutes without getting cramps in your fingers. Has a handy lamp so you can always see what you're doing. It would fit in the corner of your new shed and not take up too much space. Yea, it's a bit pricey, around €1800.00, but think of all the years use you will get from it with no cramps in the hands. Just my 2 Pfennings worth Buddy and food for thought....

Prost
Allen

PS, It would also have many uses for building StuGs when you start up again 10 years from now......................
WELL Bob my upright drill is very similar but not as big an the chuck will hold a 1mm drill bits up to 5/8 th drill bit from my micro drill bit case an it only cost about 35 quid from B& Q dont know where allen bought his at 1800 euros wow
chris bmtb

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Not really, Bob: copper nerves will do the job perfectly :tongue-out3: .
The Tamiya drill you mentioned works at low speed and it's easy to handle as it's like a small pistol (e.g.: a Beretta 34 or Walther PPK if you are a Bond fan ;)).
I find it easier to handle that than a hand pin vise, but I'm pretty sure this depends on how poor is my handling of a pin vise;).

Andrea
Hi Andrea, have looked at the tamiya drill, I think the smallest drill bit it takes is 1.0mm? Not sure if I will need one that much to be honest?
Afternoon Bob,

The guys have given you a lot of good info here and it should help with the metal barrels. You probably have about 20 float thingy's in the stash and and I would think you will also have to drill out portholes and other barrels and the like. You need something that will do these jobs quickly and efficiently without any stress. You could drill them out by hand, use a little electric drill OR you could stop playing around and get one of these,

View attachment 460740

The table is fully adjustable so you get the perfect depth every time. you can change the chuck and use bits down to 0.2 mm for the little jobs. 50 portholes drilled out in 5 minutes without getting cramps in your fingers. Has a handy lamp so you can always see what you're doing. It would fit in the corner of your new shed and not take up too much space. Yea, it's a bit pricey, around €1800.00, but think of all the years use you will get from it with no cramps in the hands. Just my 2 Pfennings worth Buddy and food for thought....

Prost
Allen

PS, It would also have many uses for building StuGs when you start up again 10 years from now......................
Afternoon Allen, lovely bit of kit but a but expensive for the use it would get, thanks for the info

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
you could stop playing around and get one of these,

View attachment 460740
:smiling3:

Seriously, though, if you happen to know someone who has a table drill that you can use occasionally, it can come in very handy for certain jobs when building models, like this for example:

img_8957-jpeg.457740

I wouldn’t have wanted to try opening a 5 mm hole up to 9 mm, eighteen times, either by hand or with a hand-held drill, so my father’s table drill was very useful.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Hi Andrea, have looked at the tamiya drill, I think the smallest drill bit it takes is 1.0mm? Not sure if I will need one that much to be honest?
Bob, I use the Tamiya drill with bits down to 0.3 mm. For larger than 1 mm size I have to change the "mouth" (I think its correct name should be "chuck") to fit larger tools.