Four 1/16 Dragon Figures

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

download (42).jpgDragon--1613-1-16-Panzer-Grenadier--Kharkov-1943-.jpgdownload (41).jpgdownload (40).jpg

Another batch of Dragon figures that I thought were worth re-visiting. A couple of these may turn into a vignette, and the Peiper figure may become a U-Boat crewman.

I'm going to start with the Oberstrurmfuhrer, Budapest figure. Here are the sprue shots:

100_6780.JPG100_6781.JPG

As with all of Dragon's German subjects, most of the equipment is supplied on generic sprues, which means that you get a lot of stuff you don't want going to clog up your spares box. The panzerfaust is supplied with a full set of decals, but if I remember rightly, they are quite thick and hard to settle onto the tight curves involved.

On with the build:

100_6783.JPG

This didn't go together too badly, with only a little filler needed. The insignia on the cap were poorly defined so I've replaced them with etch examples by Lion Roar. I've added a water bottle and flare pistol to the ensemble, and swapped the ammo pouches for a better Tamiya pair.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Looks like you will have some fun going down memory lane with these 4.

Perhaps an opportunity to push the envelope with some more extreme painting?

They should keep you out of trouble for the next week or so.

Its still madness in the supermarkets, hopefully the home delivery will have some of the things we ordered.

Enjoy the painting, it seems like its going to a dull, grey, wet and cold one!

Just what we need to raise the spirits!

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

I have enough trouble getting the results I do to be able to think of more 'extreme' painting. Reminds me of a certain person on another site who always criticised me for not 'pushing it'. I used to get frustrated with him because I was trying my best - small improvements over a long time is my best hope.

Worked on the head today:

100_6791 (2).JPG

The fur was tougher than I thought it would be. No doubt I'll revisit it and try to add refinements.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I can well remember who that was Peter. Long gone and not worth thinking about.
I will sit next to Lee as I hear he's bought some donuts with him.

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph - Thanks Ralph. I'm a sensitive soul.

Lee - Take a seat - they've all been placed 2m apart! Hand-wash by the door.

John - He did show up here briefly, but seems to have disappeared. Hands off Lee's donuts (Oooh, Matron!).

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thought id drop by to see if everyones behaving,Doughnuts arghhhhh,Managed to get a few bits to eat to last few days but shops well joke.Dont think your painting can be picked apart Peter.You have your style which is neat and smooth paint finish.Its so easy to hide behind a smartphone or P.C screen and pull others apart.Had a few trolls regarding my stone painting and they just got told to sex and travel!!!!,As Sergeant Wilson would say your painting is all rather lovely.
Pip pip onk onk.
Rich.

• Love
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Richard.

I think people sometimes forget how hard this game is - to paraphrase Dave Ward: I know what I should be doing, but actually doing it is the problem. It's all very well expecting improvements, but making them is a slow process involving a lot of trial and error (mostly error). I'm not going to force trials on myself that cause me to stop enjoying the hobby.

I LOVE doughnuts, but unfortunately, as a diabetic they are now forbidden me. Dammit.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I feel your pain mate,Same with sculpting,I try to up me game and raise the bar but sadly i just cant seem to improve,Material changes not bearing much fruit,Ive been trying to get back to it today but more faffing then productivity.Havent had doughnut for over a year.My treats are nuts and odd bit of 70 per cent dark chocolate.
Onwards and upwards mate.
Rich.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Sorry for the comment, it was not meant to be in any way contentious!

I know from your previous sessions, there have been occasions when you have been very self critical for not trying to push a little in a different direction.

As your current "platoon" have been through your paint shop in the past year, it might have been a chance to think, "Last time, I wish I had ......"

I know you are your own worst critic, I a very proud owner of no less than 4 original DAY pieces, they are the pride of my desk and have prime position.

Talking of trying something different and making a "discovery", I have moved everything off my desk to force myself to just paint heads, and in doing so, I started to mix the paint with a Size 2 brush as I was always concerned about spoiling my best Winsor & Newton Series 7 zero brush with too much paint and clogging the ferrule, and discovered by sheer accident, the size 2 makes a better point than the zero and has a substantial "well" of paint to pull on too. Quite a revelation and it will hopefully give me a boost to get the test heads finished.

Back to the grim reality of no supermarkets having a home delivery slot for the next 3 weeks.

I guess the vulnerable self isolators will eventually not be an issue as they will either starve to death or eat each other !

Your current head has great beard colour too, the fur looks good though I am sure it will get another dose of work until you are happier.

Its another cold, grey day and I shall have to try and find some bits of shopping this morning.

Its getting like Romero's 1978 classic out there, scary stuff, it still doesn't seem ""real"" at the moment, but it is.

Have a good day, and I shall try not to upset the apple cart too much

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Nothing to apologise for. Feeling a bit over-sensitive because it looks like, yay! I have the Coronovirus. I've been feeling a bit under the weather with my usual winter sinusitis, but I also developed a sore throat and earache and began to feel very lethargic. Could have been anything, until last night, the cough started. I have some tightness in the chest and a slight fever as a result, so it looks pretty clear, though there are no tests available here in Kent.

Not sure where I got it from, as I don't go out much, but my son has been going to school and my wife has been galavanting all over the south of England.

So, my wife, son and myself are self-isolating, which will be fun (probably end up killing eachother). My son is already pretty depressed about the school situation, as he's supposed to be taking his A-Levels this year and it looks like his 18th birthday in May will be a damp squib. Katherine, fortunately can work from home.

At least I have modelling to keep me sane.

• Sad

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Hope it's not too serious Peter and you get well soon.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Get well soon mate, hope it does get too bad.....and at least you will be able to resume normal life afterwards.....

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hope you are clear, stay warm and keep modelling if you can.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers chaps.

Been painting, but now feeling pretty groggy and am off to bed.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Get well soon Peter. I'm sure a few days away from everything will do you good. Stay safe my friend