Geoff’s - Revell 1/72 Lancaster B.III “Dambusters” tribute build

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Hello chaps,

With my entry to Gerns Emergency Service Group Build finished I’ve got a bit of a gap before the next GB I’m entering starts in May.

This year is the 80th anniversary of “Operation Chastise” more popularly known as the Dambusters raid.

So what better than a tribute build of an aircraft that took part in the raid?
75611088-C4A2-4C50-8919-17E4A33BF5FE.jpeg
I aim to finish it by the time of the anniversary 16/17th May.

Not a lot of time to work with but if 617 squadron could be formed and trained for the operation in the slightly longer 21st March -16th May I’m sure I can manage it :smiling:

I aim to build it pretty much straight from the box but may add a few improvements along the way depending on how it goes.

I’m going to start after the weekend, all welcome to follow along :thumb2:

Geoff.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I've often been tempted with a Dambuster Lancaster so I'll follow along with interest.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I'LL Be followin Geoff seat at the front please before the rabble get their bums seated eh lol
chrisb

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great subject Geoff. What marking options do you get? I know they will all be 617 squadron, just wondered which aircraft……

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Cheers Tim, it comes with x3 options:

G- George - Wg.Cdr G Gibson
P-Popsie - Flt lt H Martin
F-Freddie - Flt Sgt K Brown

Not sure which markings I’m going to use yet but I’m leaning towards F-Freddie.

Geoff.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Cheers Tim, it comes with x3 options:

G- George - Wg.Cdr G Gibson
P-Popsie - Flt lt H Martin
F-Freddie - Flt Sgt K Brown

Not sure which markings I’m going to use yet but I’m leaning towards F-Freddie.

Geoff.
Interesting that they never picked one that actually burst a dam :surprised: Freddie would be a good choice, it successfully attacked, but didn’t breach, the Sorpe simply because the upkeep mine wasn’t designed to destroy that type of dam construction. I always think of the Sorpe as the Cinderella of the dams. I bet 99% of these kits get built as G George though;)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hello chaps,

With my entry to Gerns Emergency Service Group Build finished I’ve got a bit of a gap before the next GB I’m entering starts in May.

This year is the 80th anniversary of “Operation Chastise” more popularly known as the Dambusters raid.

So what better than a tribute build of an aircraft that took part in the raid?
View attachment 478306
I aim to finish it by the time of the anniversary 16/17th May.

Not a lot of time to work with but if 617 squadron could be formed and trained for the operation in the slightly longer 21st March -16th May I’m sure I can manage it :smiling:

I aim to build it pretty much straight from the box but may add a few improvements along the way depending on how it goes.

I’m going to start after the weekend, all welcome to follow along :thumb2:

Geoff.

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!

I was going to do this very kit for Jakko's TV/Movie GB but had to bow out due to my studies. Will bookmark for future reference

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Interesting that they never picked one that actually burst a dam :surprised: Freddie would be a good choice, it successfully attacked, but didn’t breach, the Sorpe simply because the upkeep mine wasn’t designed to destroy that type of dam construction. I always think of the Sorpe as the Cinderella of the dams. I bet 99% of these kits get built as G George though;)
Good point Tim about not having one that actually burst a dam! If I had done mine for Jakko's GB, I think I would have to have done G for George to fit in with the movie aspect.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good point Tim about not having one that actually burst a dam! If I had done mine for Jakko's GB, I think I would have to have done G for George to fit in with the movie aspect.
If I did this I’d probably go with that one as well, for pretty much the same reasons. That’s been one of my favourite films since I was a nipper……after all, if you don‘t hum the theme tune the whole time you are building it you must be dead……..

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Yep,
I'll pull up a pew as well if you don't mind Geoff :smiling3:
Your very welcome Sir :smiling4:

Yes I thought G-George would be a bit obvious.
Perhaps Revell were a bit sensitive to put markings for an aircraft that breached the dams in view of the large loss of life :thinking:

I have some bomber command letters somewhere in the stash so may choose a different aircraft if they are suitable.

No need to him the theme tune I have it on CD so the neighbours are going tonne pretty fed up of it by the end of the build :tears-of-joy:

Geoff.

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Geoff

I have a picture of model from Telford last year where someone recreated footage from one of the test drops (Les Munro's plane I think.) Would you mind me sharing the pics on here.....if only for some inspiration?

Andrew

Last edited:

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!

I was going to do this very kit for Jakko's TV/Movie GB but had to bow out due to my studies. Will bookmark for future reference

ATB.

Andrew

Cheers Andrew, shame you didn’t get time to build it for the GB :confused:

Geoff.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Geoff

I have a picture of model from Telford last year where someone recreated footage from one of the test drops (Les Munroe's plane I think.) Would you mind me sharing the pics on here.....if only for some inspiration?

Andrew

Feel free Andrew

I saw that, it was an awesome build :surprised:

Geoff.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Cheers Andrew, shame you didn’t get time to build it for the GB :confused:

Geoff.
Indeed but it just wouldn't have worked but at least I have yours I can follow and learn from. Never built a 4 engined plane before and have five in the stash!

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Geoff

Thanks for allowing to share these. Obviously no film footage from the raid and so the only way of seeing what it would have been like.....and of course a lesson in what happened when you got a bit too low.

Taken with my phone and so not the best.

Andrew

EDIT:. 1/32 in case you hadn't guessed!

Last edited: