Geoff’s - Revell 1/72 Lancaster B.III “Dambusters” tribute build

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Cheers guys :thumb2:

The plastic is very much like old school stuff, I expect it must be due to the colouring as Revell plastic isn’t usually so tough.

Oddly enough I think the normal Lancaster comes in the usual grey plastic :thinking:

In regards to the seat, I think the real one has some frame work at the back but I expect this would be hidden by the armour plate.

Geoff

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Hello Chaps,

Despite the lack of updates I have been busy beavering on with the build.
So here’s a quick update of progress so far.

The cockpit isn’t overly detailed and I decided to keep it simple due to wanting to finish the build by the time of the anniversary of the raid.

Following the priming it went together fairly easily.

The front section of the cockpit and gun turret interiors were given a coat of Vallejo Model Air 71.056 Panzer Dark Grey instead of the recommended black as it seems more in scale. The rear of the cockpit and interior was painted with Vallejo Model Air 71.305 interior grey/green

The various decals were then added while the pilots seat harness was picked out by brush.

Once these had settled the cockpit/interior was given a simple oil wash to tone it down a bit.

D39DC9CF-3306-493A-ADC4-AC1D46588498.jpeg
A71EB3B3-D74D-4FD2-B7AB-DDF898EE2FA2.jpeg
CEDB3106-4A0C-45F4-B6F0-EA4FA4A46254.jpeg

The wings have also been built up and the engine nacelles were added once the undercarriage bays were constructed.
FC22893A-3398-4E94-ADD9-94E3DC88C615.jpeg
3A0D8C0E-395D-42E1-8CA5-6D18FC8E028C.jpeg

Most of the ancillary parts have been put together including the Upkeep mine.
B46B8281-8D23-48B5-B9F9-1C42DC8C2013.jpeg

So a bit more construction to go but I think I’m on track to finish in time :smiling4:

Another update soon, thanks for looking :thumb2:

Geoff.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hello Chaps,

The cockpit isn’t overly detailed and I decided to keep it simple due to wanting to finish the build by the time of the anniversary of the raid.

The front section of the cockpit and gun turret interiors were given a coat of Vallejo Model Air 71.056 Panzer Dark Grey instead of the recommended black as it seems more in scale. The rear of the cockpit and interior was painted with Vallejo Model Air 71.305 interior grey/green

The various decals were then added while the pilots seat harness was picked out by brush.

Once these had settled the cockpit/interior was given a simple oil wash to tone it down a bit.

View attachment 479656
View attachment 479657
View attachment 479658

The wings have also been built up and the engine nacelles were added once the undercarriage bays were constructed.
View attachment 479659
View attachment 479660

View attachment 479661

So a bit more construction to go but I think I’m on track to finish in time :smiling4:

Geoff.
Looking most excellent Sir :smiling3:
I do love a Lancaster... but that scale is too tiny for me, enjoying watching your build. ;)

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Looks good Geoff. Tempting me to break out one of my Lancs - I think I have 3 in the stash, as well as a Shackleton. A bit big for my bench and spray booth though.
Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Coming on nicely Geoff. The cockpit looks good. The oil wash has brought out the details.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Oooh... A Shackleton...
LOVELY. :smiling3:
Yup, something about the Shackie birds colour scheme I liked, (the maritime version).
I'll be sticking that on my wish list when the kids scratch their noggins wondering what Mr Grumpy wants for B/Days and Christmas's!!
(But after the Bronco OV10)

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Following along with this one too ! I remember building one when I was a kid, still fancy a go at another! Have fun !!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hello Chaps,

View attachment 479656
View attachment 479657
View attachment 479658

View attachment 479659
View attachment 479660

View attachment 479661

Geoff.
Hi Geoff,

Any obvious issues so far? Just thinking ahead to mine.

ATB.

Andrew

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Geoff,

I'm still with you on your lanc. I just fell behind a bit. Driver's seat looks good and does the whole build so far, Sir!!! Seems you're making better progress than I am too...

Prost
Allen

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Looking most excellent Sir :smiling3:
I do love a Lancaster... but that scale is too tiny for me, enjoying watching your build. ;)
Thank you Andy, glad you are enjoying it :smiling4:

Looks good Geoff. Tempting me to break out one of my Lancs - I think I have 3 in the stash, as well as a Shackleton. A bit big for my bench and spray booth though.
Pete
Cheers Peter :thumb2: I think it may be possible to paint the wings separately due to the wing spar system.

Coming on nicely Geoff. The cockpit looks good. The oil wash has brought out the details.
Thanks Jim, it it just looked too bright :cool: before the wash.

Yup, something about the Shackie birds colour scheme I liked, (the maritime version).
I'll be sticking that on my wish list when the kids scratch their noggins wondering what Mr Grumpy wants for B/Days and Christmas's!!
(But after the Bronco OV10)
I agree, a Shackleton is on my future build list too :smiling3:

Following along with this one too ! I remember building one when I was a kid, still fancy a go at another! Have fun !!
Cheers Steve, go on, build one you know you want to :tears-of-joy:

Hi Geoff,

Any obvious issues so far? Just thinking ahead to mine.

ATB.

Andrew

Not so far Andrew, a bit of flash here and there but the fit has been generally good.
The clear parts aren’t good though, the plastic seems a bit grainy and mine had quite a lot of scratches in places. I’ve had to dip them all in clear which has helped :disappointed:

Evening Geoff,

I'm still with you on your lanc. I just fell behind a bit. Driver's seat looks good and does the whole build so far, Sir!!! Seems you're making better progress than I am too...

Prost
Allen
Thank you Allen :smiling4:

Geoff.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thank you Andy, glad you are enjoying it :smiling4:

Cheers Peter :thumb2: I think it may be possible to paint the wings separately due to the wing spar system.

Thanks Jim, it it just looked too bright :cool: before the wash.

I agree, a Shackleton is on my future build list too :smiling3:

Cheers Steve, go on, build one you know you want to :tears-of-joy:

Not so far Andrew, a bit of flash here and there but the fit has been generally good.
The clear parts aren’t good though, the plastic seems a bit grainy and mine had quite a lot of scratches in places. I’ve had to dip them all in clear which has helped :disappointed:

Thank you Allen :smiling4:

Geoff.
Thanks Geoff. Duly warned!

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Watching this build makes me wanna shell out for the 1/48 Tamiya Lanc, I've got the complete airwaves photo etch set sitting in the stash ready to be used...(although it'll probably end up being there for a long time yet..)

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Watching this build makes me wanna shell out for the 1/48 Tamiya Lanc, I've got the complete airwaves photo etch set sitting in the stash ready to be used...(although it'll probably end up being there for a long time yet..)
I bet that would be an impressive build Chris.

To be honest I struggle with bigger scale builds, single engine aircraft aren’t too bad but anything larger just feels awkward when I’m building it.

I think I’m just weird :upside:

Geoff.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I bet that would be an impressive build Chris.

To be honest I struggle with bigger scale builds, single engine aircraft aren’t too bad but anything larger just feels awkward when I’m building it.

I think I’m just weird :upside:

Geoff.
Totally know where you're coming from, storage space in my 'hobby room' is becoming a little tight, and I'm not sure I've got the spare space to store a fully built 1/48 Lanc, so I'll probably end up sticking the photoetch set on e-bay and selling it on...

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Totally know where you're coming from, storage space in my 'hobby room' is becoming a little tight, and I'm not sure I've got the spare space to store a fully built 1/48 Lanc, so I'll probably end up sticking the photoetch set on e-bay and selling it on...

Or you could build one and mount it on a wall ;)

Geoff.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Hello chaps,

Starting to take shape now :smiling:

F589B88C-1AB0-4957-A697-5991E751A51B.jpeg

Wings are not glued on yet, just pushed onto the wing spars. This should ensure that they can be painted separately which should make it easier.

The horizontal stabilisers (tail planes) have been glued into position along with a couple of inserts to blank out the upper gun turret position and a similar one in the lower fuselage.

Unfortunately I’ve met the first real problem with the build.

There is an insert which fits into the bomb bay to allow the upkeep mine to be held in place but it just doesn’t fit properly.

1BA879B9-D83D-46B8-9542-0963EA33309C.jpeg
99047268-A6D0-419E-A89D-B353EB1A779D.jpeg
Both the front and rear of the insert has a pronounced step. It fits correctly everywhere else so I’m not sure why th step is there :thinking:
Looking at pictures of the real aircraft there isn’t a step, everything is flat sh so it looks like some sanding and scribing lies ahead :sad:

Geoff.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That's a pain. For the rear I'd probably fill the inside with sprue glue, and when dry, just sand away. The front, I'd cut the insert somewhere away from a panel line and fill with sprue/plastic, then you can sand again, until dawn or you fall asleep.