Geoff’s - Revell 1/72 Lancaster B.III “Dambusters” tribute build

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Unfortunately I’ve been making slow progress with the build mainly due to lack of bench time.

I have however managed to sort out the poorly fitting bomb bay by sanding it to within an inch of its life :tears-of-joy:
Fortunately the plastic is quite thick so I was able to get away with it.

It needed some filling and rescribing too but I’m satisfied with the result.

IMG_2646.jpeg
IMG_2647.jpeg

As you can see the main components have had a coat of grey Stynlrez primer so I could see all the imperfections/seam lines easier.

The engine nacelles neede a bit of filler around the joints, I used Perfect Plastic Putty for this to avoid any further sanding.
IMG_2645.jpeg

IMG_2644.jpeg
The seam lines have mostly been dealt with so I will give it another final prime later.

IMG_2648.jpeg

Touch and go whether I’ll finish it for the anniversary date but I’ll give it a good shot.

Thanks for looking :thumb2:

Geoff.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Well Geoff you're making good progress. Very glad the poorly fitting parts didn't cause too much of a problem. Just took time and patience.
Cheers Jim, I thought it would be more of a problem to fix :thumb2:

Your patience is paying off Geoff
Thanks Mick, slow and sure wins the race apparently. Probably won’t get the thing finished in time though so I’ll need to crack on a bit :smiling4:

Geoff.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
After my last update I’ve had another round of seam filling and sanding to try and eliminate some irritating ghost seams plus the area around the upper hatch was still a bit ropey.

Now thoroughly fed up of filling /sanding I’ve reached the stage of “that’ll do!” :smiling6:

I also realised that I hadn’t fitted the nav lights.

I drilled a small hole in the rear of the clear part and used the end of a cocktail stick to poke a dab of red and green paint in the hole to replicate a light bulb before gluing it into place.
The gap around the part was filled with Mr Surfacer 500 and sanded back with a series of finer grades of sanding stick.

IMG_2649.jpeg
Before
IMG_2650.jpeg
After

I’ll mask these now and touch up the various sanded areas before starting the top coats of paint.

Another update soon, thanks for looking :thumb2:

Geoff.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Slightly off tack but on subject. Watched a documentary tonight on the 80th anniversary of the Lanc. Thoroughly informative and enjoyable.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Thank you guys :thumb2:

Well the anniversary of Operation Chastise has been and gone, obviously without me managing to finish this in time.

I had a few family things to sort out which lead to limited bench time but even without that I think it would have been a tough task to finish it in time.

Anyway that gives me more time to try and get it right now without rushing :smiling4:

Main painting is all done now, it involved a lot of masking :anguished:

IMG_2689.jpeg
IMG_2690.jpeg

Lower side has been finished with Vallejo 71.056 Panzer Dark Grey which gives a more scale effect while the upper is finished in Vallejo 71.323 BS Dark Earth and 71.324 BS Dark Green.

Some touching up of the paint needed here and there but it’s starting to take shape now.

Another update soon, thanks for looking :thumb2:

Geoff.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
That's looking real good Geoff!!! Sorry to hear you missed the deadline, but life is more important than that. Love the camo Sir!!!...

Prost
Allen

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Camo looks great.

I did the underside of mine in black but that dark grey looks much better at this size I think.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Been quite a while since I looked in on this Geoff...
An interesting read up it's been too. ;)
It's looking splendid in the early stages of paintwork there.....
..... bring on the next update!! :smiling3:

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Looking great Geoff

Cheers Joe :thumb2:

Camo looks great.

I did the underside of mine in black but that dark grey looks much better at this size I think.

Thanks Andy, I was planning on a patchwork of various black tones but tried the grey first and it seemed just right, a lucky little accident :smiling4:

Been quite a while since I looked in on this Geoff...
An interesting read up it's been too. ;)
It's looking splendid in the early stages of paintwork there.....
..... bring on the next update!! :smiling3:
Cheers Mr Smiff, hopefully another update soon :thumb2:

Geoff.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely!!!!!!

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Thanks Andrew :thumb2:

I’ve got to be careful with it now as it’s at what I think of as the worry stage of the build. Too far gone to not bother if I make a hash of it with still plenty left that could go wrong :cold-sweat::smiling6:

Geoff.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks Andrew :thumb2:

I’ve got to be careful with it now as it’s at what I think of as the worry stage of the build. Too far gone to not bother if I make a hash of it with still plenty left that could go wrong :cold-sweat::smiling6:

Geoff.
Don't you just hate that stage!!