Heller's 1/8 Citroen Traction Avant

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well I should feel thoroughly chastised (not on this forum) but I've been told I'm ruining a classic kit and should be ashamed of myself, my answer my kit, my way. Whether I'm a brilliant modeler or crap (probably nearer the mark) I hate comments like that, if I by a black Rolls Royce and paint it sky blue pink that's no one's business but mine.

First Name
Robert
SPOT ON KEN !!!

You build a kit to your liking and how you want the end result to look like . We are all modellers in our own right and class weather it be novice/intermediate/ semi skilled or professional ( a lot would say your in the latter count Ken )We can all be boring and build and paint a kit to represent a class of tank/ Aircraft/ car/ sub or ship or whatever ( be a robot) we build but it's our choice to adapt a kit to suit what we like to do and to show what we can do., I have learnt so much from this forum/site and made a few good contacts, sharing opinions but never bad

You carry on making what you like and I'm sure you will not be phased by single minded individuals.

Robert

D

Deleted member 3568

I don't mind people saying things like (assuming I'm building a model to be accurate representation of the real thing and not syfy or futuristic ) the engine is the wrong colour, or as someone has suggested the wiring loom should be covered in some sort of black canvas material, things which are constructive, but not in the way we decided to portray a model, I hardly ever build like a model just came out of the factory, I like adding ageing, I think it makes a model more interesting, but that's just my preference, I wouldn't tell someone who built a pristine perfect car with a perfect paint job and not a speck of dust, they had built the model wrong or been lazy, I've seen some amazing examples of both types, and thats what makes looking at other people's models so interesting, if we all built as the box artwork every model would look exactly the same (apart from a colour change that is) so I will continue doing them "my way" and take advice on better ways of doing things or making things more accurate (skills allowing) so thanks mate glad you agree.

First Name
Marc
Exactly Ken. It's your model, your choice. Don't listen to the idiots on other forums.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It's looking great Ken. You have a knack with this type of build and long may it continue, that's why I like looking at and watching your builds.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well started with some colour, you may notice not the colour I originally stated as I've given up on Citroen giving me the code (so now of course I will have to change the carpet colour :mad::mad:smiling3:

anyhoo here is the start of the rusting (lots more work to be done on it, but I think its a good starting point)

DSC_0261.JPG

DSC_0272.JPG

DSC_0273.JPG

DSC_0274.JPG

DSC_0275.JPG

DSC_0276.JPG

DSC_0277.JPG

DSC_0278.JPG

DSC_0279.JPG

DSC_0280.JPG

DSC_0281.JPG

DSC_0283.JPG

D

Deleted member 3568

Well this must be crap, I've been told I should try the salt technique to get a better effect ( that is the only technique I've used on this whole build) its funny as the same person thought the engine bay and cradle were the best rust effect they had ever seen and that was the salt technique. Not posting there again the same forum as the bloke who told me I was ruining a classic kit.If ohf

First Name
Dave
Ken.........do what you like, when you like, how you like..........I think a large degree of jealousy creeps in.......just human nature I guess. ;)

\ said:
Well this must be crap, I've been told I should try the salt technique to get a better effect ( that is the only technique I've used on this whole build) its funny as the same person thought the engine bay and cradle were the best rust effect they had ever seen and that was the salt technique. Not posting there again the same forum as the bloke who told me I was ruining a classic kit.If ohf
Some people heads are so far up their own ars.:eek: ..

.................It must be dark in their world. Mate the rusting you do us exquisite, I've got a german tank on the go and want to rust the exposed exhaust on the rear end........guess who's method I'm going to try!...............yours! :smiling3: :cool:

T

Triumph

Well sorry Ken but your 'rust' effect made me 'forget' this is indeed a 'plastic' kit .........nuff said :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 3568

Thanks guys, thing is, as I said ive not finished yet so how can anyone comment on the way it looks yet ( yes the rust stands out like a sore thumb we can all see that ) once I've added a few washes and dulled the gloss on the paintwork it will look more convincing (I hope)

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well after a disasterous reaction on the paintwork on this I've sorted it (will never be a great job but is ok as an old jalopy) did a bit more staining of the doors and the bodywork and added some rust effects to the black paintwork, still a long way to go on it but is starting to look better now.

0Qpwto2.jpg

2fak0V7.jpg

BYzaZRO.jpg

V8Erj3v.jpg

KlSo6xa.jpg

xpGSkqS.jpg

PwUAxho.jpg

12IC6Ej.jpg

8f0fE7X.jpg

ZkEphX1.jpg

N9TpoEW.jpg

QZKHPL5.jpg

Wpf1KHd.jpg

lc4ImKM.jpg

WMWijwL.jpg

First Name
Dave
Ken, the rust is truly spectacular, it looks just like real rust it's hard to believe it's plastic, seriously.

Liking your work massively. :smiling3:

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Glad to see you are back on this Ken.............. That is looking superb, and as Dave says, the rust effect is teriffic.

D

Deleted member 3568

I feel like I'm trying to fill some really big boots here (Si the king of rust) missing his input.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
I feel like I'm trying to fill some really big boots here (Si the king of rust) missing his input.
Well you're doing a grand job of filling boots mate! ;) :smiling3:

D

Dave1973

Ken,

The rust effect you have done is utterly fabulous! More realistic than ive seen on many models, id be proud to acheive similar!

As for the paint, let me be clear THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT and if it makes you feel any betterm remember the vintage this car would have been built in, pristine paintwork wouldnt happen anyway, so i personally think it looks A1 perfect.

And if anyone on any forum wants to slag your work down, or say rude things, tell them to sit on a melon, and ask them to show you THEIR citroen traction..... Oh hang on, yeah thats right they havent the balls or the skills to build one!

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Just caught up with this {believe it or not} and I think it is coming along superbly, the rust work looks excellent, good job Ken;).....................Jim:smiling3:

T

Triumph

Brilliant ......However I have one concern and I'm sorry about this...........I'm not sure if this would pass an English M.O.T.......... :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3: