HMS Campbletown......1/700

• Thread starter Deleted member 4539
  • Start date

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Superb work Ralph, all that p.e. would have seen me off long ago. I know I would have just lost patience with it and probably spoilt the whole model to boot, so top marks to you sir!

Your sea is taking shape nicely. Don't forget now, keep the wake nice and close-ish to the ship's sides. Then a gentle sweep away in a nice curve. I'll be watching;)

D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
Superb work Ralph, all that p.e. would have seen me off long ago. I know I would have just lost patience with it and probably spoilt the whole model to boot, so top marks to you sir!
Your sea is taking shape nicely. Don't forget now, keep the wake nice and close-ish to the ship's sides. Then a gentle sweep away in a nice curve. I'll be watching;)
Thanks for the kind words Ron.

When I did the bow waves I remembered to keep it as tight as I could.

Hopefully the painting will give me the curve I need:rolleyes: :smiling3: .

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
\ said:
Hi Lee,
I have tried and tried to get some decent close ups.

I'm sorry but what you see seems to be the best I can do. :smiling3:
No worries Ralph, I have vivid memories of these...the sounds and smells...even after 22 years, I guess it's one of those things that you can never forget!?

Everything is still looking great, amazing work my friend...

Lee :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
No worries Ralph, I have vivid memories of these...the sounds and smells...even after 22 years, I guess it's one of those things that you can never forget!?
Everything is still looking great, amazing work my friend...

Lee :smiling3:
I guess you can't forget something like that.

And thanks so much for the kind comments. :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
This is amazing work Ralph! The PE is mind boggling not to mention eye watering! It looks fantastic , excuse my ignorance but what sort of size are we looking at here , I'm afraid ships arent my strong point , I'm guessing its well under a foot long? Also being an aircraft builder where lots of stuff is painted as you go along i'm curious as to how ship builders get the paint into all the tiny nooks and crannies. cheers tony

D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
Looks amazing Ralph, is there a chopper for the flight deck?
Thanks for the kind comments Graham.

Yes there is a chopper..EH-101,Merlin,

\ said:
This is amazing work Ralph! The PE is mind boggling not to mention eye watering! It looks fantastic , excuse my ignorance but what sort of size are we looking at here , I'm afraid ships arent my strong point , I'm guessing its well under a foot long? Also being an aircraft builder where lots of stuff is painted as you go along i'm curious as to how ship builders get the paint into all the tiny nooks and crannies. cheers tony
Thanks for the great words Tony.

The length of the ship is 8 inches.

To get into all the nooks and crannies,I use an airbrush with very thinned paint about 70% thinner to 30% paint.I set the compressor to about 10 PSI and make many passes over the model to build up the paint after a couple of passes I simply use air from the brush to dry the paint and continue with a couple more passes.I find this helps me to get into all the awkward places.Hope this helps.

D

dubster72

Ships not being my thing, I've only just seen this thread Ralph & I'm seriously gobsmacked!

The level of skill that you're showing is amazing. Now I'm hooked & looking forward to seeing more.

D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
Ships not being my thing, I've only just seen this thread Ralph & I'm seriously gobsmacked!
The level of skill that you're showing is amazing. Now I'm hooked & looking forward to seeing more.
Thank you for the wonderful comments Patrick:smiling3:.

I hope your gob is ok now;).

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Top work Ralph. I knew the ship was small - but 8"! That is truly a great display of P.E. work.....and the sea is not bad either! ;)

D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
Top work Ralph. I knew the ship was small - but 8"! That is truly a great display of P.E. work.....and the sea is not bad either! ;)
Thanks for the great comments Ron.

I still have a bit of work to do on the sea,but I can only do that when the ship is fixed in place. :smiling3:

D

dubster72

\ said:
Don't tell my missus that 8" is considered small! clear.png

D

Deleted member 4539

Ok,first the bad news,Girly my kitten decided it would be a good idea to sleep on my model desk,thus damaging the ship.

I fixed most of it to the best of my ability,just a few things that are not quite right,not to worry.

Here is the basic colours laid down.

Please don't pick out the bad bits,I know what they are:smiling3:

DSCF2217.JPG

DSCF2220.JPG

DSCF2222.JPG

DSCF2223.JPG