HMS Roberts - WWII Monitor - 1:350 Trumpeter

C

Caledonia

Have been waiting for some time for the release of this kit. Sprue shots can be found on the Trumpeter website here http://www.trumpeter-china.com/a/en/product/ship/1_350_Series/2014/0305/2600.html

Below are a couple of shots of the out of the box.

View attachment 82065

View attachment 82066

View attachment 82067

Have had an interest in RN Monitors since I read the Douglas Reeman's - HMS Saracen, although it was a WWI Monitor.

Kit comprises 357 parts on 12 sprues + 193 parts of photo-etch + metal chain + two decal flags. Looks very comprehensive, with the mouldings of excellent quality, and virtually zero flash.

I have two after market items on order.

1/350 Crew figures.

https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/p/LArsenal+1350+Resin+Crew+Figures+LArs+AC+35025/4158/#.U2zxHblOXcs

Decal sheet with amongst other things draft decals. http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/BT35005

These extras were ordered for my HMS King George V but there are enough to do both ships. Still awaiting delivery for both. Cheers Derek

K1.jpg

K2.jpg

K3.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Derek looking forward to seeing this one

And thanks for the link for the 1/350 figures will get some of those

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Oh I like that I'll keep an eye out for this :smiling3:

I've got to get back to building warships :smiling3:

D

dubster72

That looks unusual & interesting Derek. I think I'll keep an eye on your progress.

Cheers

Patrick

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your comments lads. Now that most of the BOSSES 2014 maintenance program is finished should get back to some modelling. A few shots of the hull and deck going together. A bit of filling for the longitudinal seam as you would expect. The Deck to Hull fit was excellent. Leaving off the keel plates and props, for two reasons -

1) Damage during Modelling.

2) Might do a seascape.

View attachment 82332

View attachment 82333

View attachment 82334

View attachment 82335

View attachment 82336

View attachment 82337

The Monitor was half the length of a Battleship but about the same beam, and had the armour of a heavy cruiser. She had a cruising speed of 6 Knots and a maximum speed of 12.5 knots Very shallow draught; must have foxed the U-Boats with their depth settings. The Monitor could be ballasted down to sit on the seabed in shallow water to give the guns a more stable platform to fire from. The 15" guns were second hand from old battleships, one of the barrels (I think the one on the right as viewed) outside the Imperial War Museum is from HMS Roberts.

View attachment 82338

The side armour had three compartments. The outer one was air filled to absorb the impact from torpedoes, the second was water filled to minimised shrapnel damage, and the third was air filled to help absorb the shock wave.

Still can't get over how small the components are. Cheers Derek

B001.jpg

B002.jpg

B003.jpg

B004.jpg

B005.jpg

B006.jpg

Picture (05-06-2014 21_00_28).jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Derek

This is a really interesting project and subject matter.

I'll be following this build for sure.

Cheers

Paul

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your support Ian/Paul, much appreciated.

Received the two aftermarket items mentioned above this week.

The 1/350 Figures come in 50 pieces with 15 poses.

View attachment 82719

View attachment 82720

The decals draft markings in roman numerals come in white and black, which is what I need for this and my future King George V.

View attachment 82718

View attachment 82724

Have been assembling the plastic parts, will tackle all the PE stuff after.

View attachment 82713

View attachment 82714

View attachment 82715

View attachment 82716

View attachment 82717

A fair percentage of the boxes on Deck are located with two pins, a lot needed drilling out before they would fit. The Life Rafts had a prominent moulding seam all round, which was a pain to remove. Having said that its an enjoyable kit and should look very detailed when finished. I think it is very good value for money considering all the PE and chain is included.

Personally I don't think that the disruptive camo scheme shown on the box artwork translates to small scale plastic models very well without it looking like a toy, so I am going for the plain grey scheme below including rust.

View attachment 82721

Cheers Derek

B007.jpg

B008.jpg

B009.jpg

B010.jpg

B011.jpg

K4.jpg

K5.jpg

K6.jpg

Picture (05-12-2014 20_15_36).jpg

Picture (05-12-2014 20_18_35).jpg

Last edited:
D

dubster72

1/350 scale figures Derek! Are you mad! ;)

Wow I didn't even know they came so small. It's looking good already!

Cheers

Patrick

C

Caledonia

Patrick/Ian, Thanks for your comments, Patrick, yes I probably am since I have never handled 1/350 figures before. Ian, I had to wait about 5 weeks for mine, but they are back in stock, so you probably have yours by now. Cheers Derek

L

Laurie

Very interesting project Derek.

Not come across this ship before. Just an amazing width across the beam. I suppose to minimize the roll of the boat after a broadside..

Also interesting is the sloped sides to the top of the hull. I would imagine to take the force out of any shell from the land enemy. Similar to a modern tank contour.

Laurie

C

Caledonia

Hi Laurie,

As you say the beam was for stability, the Monitor was used to support troop landings, it had no other function. Only two were built during WWII, her half sister was the HMS Abercrombie, she had a larger displacement.

The sloping sides was a defence against torpedo attack, see my posting 13 May above for details, she survived several hits, the sloping sides would certainly have helped deflect shells, and in fact she was struck on two occasions with 1,000Lb bombs which were deflected.

The more you investigate these two ships the more interesting they become. Cheers Derek

Last edited:
L

Laurie

Well Derek I can see that there is a lot of work in that and it is looking good.

Strange thing is that although much more than half a century ago in the state your have it at the moment it looks a very modern boat/ship or even monitor. ? why Monitor the name description that is ? Do you know Derek ?

Laurie

C

Caledonia

Interesting question Lawrie. One definition of Monitor which seems appropriate is - "Monitor",meaning "one who admonishes and corrects wrongdoers".

But I think it originated during the American Civil War. A monitor was the class of relatively small warship which was neither fast nor strongly armoured but carried disproportionately large guns. They were used by some navies from the 1860s until the end of World War II, and saw their final use by the United States Navy during the Vietnam War. But I may be wrong. Cheers Derek

P.S. I read recently, in order to increase the range of the guns, they would fire two or three salvos to induce a roll, which they would time, and when the roll had maximum amplitude they would achieve maximum gun elevation, and hence range. Gets more interesting each day.

Last edited:
L

Laurie

There seems to be a lot about Monitors but nothing which gives a clue as to why Monitor.

Seems that one man named this type of ship a monitor then full stop.

Like the range on the basis of the roll very imaginative.

As you say Derek it gets more interesting. Provides a depth to model making. Where they come form what they did and all the exploits.

Laurie

C

Caledonia

Laurie, have a look at this site, seems that a John Ericsson proposed the name for this class of vessel, see the yellow panel.

Cheers Derek