HMS Roberts - WWII Monitor - 1:350 Trumpeter

T

treyzx10r

I just caught up with this Derek . Truly some mad PE skills ,if I ever complain about PE again you have my permission to give me a sound thrashing! The build is really coming along nicely looking forward to the next update!

L

Laurie

Very nice Derek. Keep saying this but it really is spot on stuff.

Two questions.

How did you acieve the speckled finish ?

Very nice photos. What background and lighting are you using to achieve first class photos showing the detail with out interruption form back ground stuff.

Laurie

C

Caledonia

Trey/Laurie/Ian, Thanks for viewing and your kind comments.

Laurie, to answer your queries-

Q1. How did you achieve the speckled finish?

A1. It wasn't intentional; to avoid paint seepage under the masking tape I spray over the tape onto the plastic at an angle of roughly 45 - 70 degrees, the speckle you see is probable the paint dry before it hits the plastic as it had the furthest distance to travel. Not a problem with Lifecolor as it dries very thin.

Q2. Very nice photos. What background and lighting are you using to achieve first class photos showing the detail with out interruption form back ground stuff.

A2. I just stand up hold the model close to the window and photograph it, the flash has a very short range, and because I am standing up it does not illuminate the floor/surrounds. If the contrast is poor I enhance it with a programme called ACDsee.

Cheers Derek

L

Laurie

Do not know what to say Derek. It is just very impressive. Love to see this in the real.

Also Derek you are another who seems to work at the speed of sound. Quite remarkable progress.

Laurie

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looks superb Derek. A bit of careful weathering (which I know you'll do right) and this will be a real stunner.

Great stuff

Paul

C

Caledonia

Laurie/Joe/Paul/Trey, Thank you Gents for your continued support, it means a lot to me. I have found a photo of HMS Roberts Ships Crest, see below. Also some history of the Ship, see this link -

http://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Chrono-03Mon-HMS_Roberts.htm

I didn't know until recently that the battle honours earned by a RN Ship is credited to any subsequent vessel of the same name.

Cheers Derek

p.s. I noticed an anomaly in the kit the other week, the box art shows the Vessel equipped with Oerlikon AA guns, where as the kit is supplied with Bofors guns which were not fitted until 1945 for Far East service which was subsequently cancelled when Japan surrendered.

View attachment 85860

image.jpg

Last edited:
L

Laurie

\ said:
I didn't know until recently that the battle honours earned by a RN Ship is credited to any subsequent vessel of the same name.
That is an interesting and fascinating piece of info Derek. Assume they would also include the previous Captains being mentioned.

Laurie

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Ark Royal is a good example. There have been five. They have all carried the Battle Honours of the previous ship.

L

Laurie

Very nice Derek. If the seascape is on the same level it will be a good as it gets.

A question Derek. How did you achieve the rust streask both the short ones on the sloping sides and the larger streaks around the anchor capstans. Did you use an airbrush ? Did you perform this on a matt finish ? Just that with the Merlin Helicopter I am having a trial, many of them, in getting similar finishes to my satisfaction. Yours are very realistic. Jealous !

Laurie

D

dubster72

That's really good Derek, amazingly detailed! My hat is definitely off to you sir!

C

Caledonia

Thanks for viewing Guys,

Laurie to answer your queries, this is what I used for all the rusting on HMS Robert. I also use aluminium kitchen foil as a palette. I half fill the small container with the Sansoror which is a low odour turps, but also dries slower. I wet the area where I plan to do the streaks and after smearing some of the paint onto the 'palette' just put the smallest amount of the oil paint on the tip of the paint brush and apply it lightly, if it doesn't look right I wipe it off with the cotton bud and try again. You are better putting on too little initially, as you can always add more later. Give it an hour to dry, if it looks too dark, wipe it very lightly with a cotton bud in the opposite direction of flow and this will take some of the paint off.

For the light grey salt streaks at the portholes, I use the same technique after first mixing black/white till I get the right shade of grey

View attachment 86542

When I have a larger scale model such as my 1/48 Trawler http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/finished-1930s-aberdeen-steam-trawler-star-of-freedom.16732/ I use this.

View attachment 86541

For my Seaking I airbrushed the exhaust stains http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/finished-raf-rescue-seaking-har-mk3-1-48-hasegawa.18908/

Cheers Derek

DSCN4745.JPG

DSCN4746.JPG

L

Laurie

Thanks Derek and thanks for spending the time to explain.

Much appreciated.

Laurie

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Thanks Derek and thanks for spending the time to explain.Much appreciated.

Laurie
Hi again Laurie, I forgot to address your other points.

The model was sprayed with Tamiya Aerosol Satin varnish before I weathered it, several light coats.

HMS Roberts had a steel deck, so I added some very light rusting an the fore deck as I suspect, like the KGV class Battleships who also had little buoyancy at the bow, would have been a very wet ship in rough seas. Here I put a spot of paint in the areas affected and scrubbed it in over the area, I blended it in with a cotton but.

Sorry for the earlier omission. Cheers Derek

p.s. Trumpeter give no guidance regarding the rigging, so I have to take the details off the internet. The rigging was made with flower arranging fine wire, courtesy of the BOSS, and painted dark grey.