HMS Roberts - WWII Monitor - 1:350 Trumpeter

L

Laurie

That is fascinating and just shows how things evolve in such a strange way.

Thanks for the incite Derek.

Laurie

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Some nice detail there Derek. It's certainly a cob looking ship, but a very interesting one, to say the least......

Thanks for sharing the monitor information.

D

dubster72

You're doing a great job there Derek - I always find it tough keeping pe stuff straight.

L

Laurie

That is very nice work Derek. I have just realised how small the detail work is by the pencil indicator in the photo.

That is very fine detail for such a small scale.

Laurie

L

Laurie

You are right Derek what boat / ship would not have fairleads both ends.

Was the paravane for the mine gear ?

Laurie

C

Caledonia

Hi Laurier, Yes up to 4 para vanes would be towed, don't know which type they had some blew up on contact with mines and others cut the mooring cable on submerged mines, then they would blow them up with rifle fire. HMS Roberts hit two mines in her life and survived. Her half sister ship HMS Abercrombie, spent most of her time in dry dock after hitting mines. One time she came out of dry dock in Malta and hit more mines straight away. But it does demonstrate how effective that triple compartment armour belt was.

Incidentally, I came across Douglas Reeman's website and it mentioned that the original cover illustration of his book HMS Saracen was based on a photo of HMS Roberts when she was anchored at Devonport waiting to go to the breakers yard. Cheers Derek

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wow, that is looking magnificent Derek. HMS Saracen is a good book, I read it many years ago. The original HMS Saracen from the Mediterranean Theatre was in fact an S-Class submarine.

C

Caledonia

I read most of Douglas Reeman's books in the 60's and 70's but thought HMS Saracen was his best. He also writes under the name of Alexander Kent, mostly Napoleonic era books, not my cup of tea. I did see a re-print of HMS Saracen under the Alexander Kent name which I found unusual. Can't believe Amazon charge £9.90 for a book I originally bought for 4/- = less than 20p.

Anyway, thanks for viewing Joe, and your kind comments. Cheers Derek

L

Laurie

Some lovely quality stuff here Derek. Nice precision model making very impressive.

Laurie

C

Caledonia

Laurie/Graham, thanks for viewing.

As I am doing a seascape, I am not going to paint the lower half of the Hull red. I have however done a coat of Lifecolor UA701 - Rust Dark Shadow, as I want to show some hint of rust through the black boot stripe. I've coated some of the hull as well so that there is a hint of rust coming through.

View attachment 85573

View attachment 85574

View attachment 85575

Masked off the lower hull and painted the upper hull, superstructure and Guns etc.

View attachment 85576

View attachment 85577

View attachment 85578

View attachment 85579

Cheers Derek

B47.jpg

B48.jpg

B49.jpg

B50.jpg

B51.jpg

B52.jpg

B53.jpg