HMS Sovereign of the Seas

J

John Huggins

Dont know what you people think of partwork kits but i am building this kit & dont know if it's worth posting the build !!.

John

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
hell yeh get the pics a coming

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Dont know what you people think of partwork kits but i am building this kit & dont know if it's worth posting the build !!.John
Hi John,

I saw a couple of issues in W H Smith, and to be fair the pieces looked of a high quality. I would like to see the build. Derek

p.s. If you havn't already done so I would subscribe to the magazine as shops have a tendency of not stocking them after two or three issues.

Last edited:
S

steve244

i have subscribed to the mag and just waiting for my first couple of issues for the victory which is 120 issues and i think sos is 130 they are big models as well the victory is 49 inches overall, they are AL kits broken down for the mags here is the link to there site ModelSpace

J

John Huggins

Thanks all for your comments, and yes i have subscribed to the magazine and am on issue 5 at the moment & all built.

Pics to follow.

John.

P

Polux

Looking good so far John!!! I have a similar kit...you will be a referent for me!! Hope don't molest you!!!

Good luck!!

Polux

J

John Huggins

If i can be off any help Polux i'm more than happy to do so.

I've only built one before out of wood a Nordkap fishing boat some 20 years ago, it was a billing boat kit.

View attachment 51890

I have a pic some where but this is a pic from there web site.

Look forward to seeing your build Polux.

Have fun.

John.

View attachment 54458

BB476%20Nordkap.jpg

P

Polux

Seems it will be a laborious work, and only to see it gives me shivers, will be precious ship, sure!

Congratulations John!

Cheers

F

Fenlander

It is years since I did a 'Billings' ship,well a trawler anyway. If I had space I would love to do another. Great work, keep it coming.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well you have been busy! You made a good job of the longboat, very tidy.

Remember when ýou plank the big one, to do a little on each side at a time. If you do all one one side in one go, you risk the hull twisting or bending.

That bending tool is good, I have not used one myself but have a mate that does. He says that as long as the planks are wet they will bend very well and the heat, as it drives the moisture out of the wood, sets the bend.

Also if you can find some off cuts of some hard wood, teak or oak make some extra forms to bend around. It can often pay to make some just for the Hull you are building, so you can get the right radius for your curves.

They make a nice little tool for throwing your own ropes as well, should you have problems finding just the right thing to use.

Ian M

J

John Huggins

Thanks Ian for ur info, i have made one ship before using wet planks but i did'nt have the bender, i tacked & taped in place till dry.

John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This might sound a bit odd but actually works very well. If you have a really compound set of curves to get planks onto, soak the planks in amonia. I used a 40mm waste pipe with a plug and a cap. Put the planks in the pipe, half fill with amonia and put the top on. Lay it flat and roll it back and forth a few time. Leave it for a day, rolling it a bit once in a while. Remove the cap and pour out the (rather nasty) amoina. Remember to do this out side and you might want to wear a mask if you have one. protect you eyes to! It only takes one drop and you wont be building models for a loooooong time.

Rise to planks under running water to get the smell off them.

You will now have a pile of planks that resemble cooked pasta!! Seriously you can tie knots in them! Pin them down on the bits that need planking and let them dry.

Ian M