HMS Sovereign of the Seas

F

Fenlander

I have to ask Ian..... How the hell did you find that out lol.

I think the heated tool will work fine. Either heat, wet or, now we know, chemical are ways of bending. I used to just soak them in hot water but then it takes a while for the glue to dry as the planks dry out. I will be interested to see how you get on with the heated tool as it has simplicity and no soaking, the idea has a lot going for it.

C

Caledonia

Coming along nicely John, must admit that when I planked my Billings Cutty Sark and Norden I only wetted the part of the plank I wanted to bend for about 5 minutes in warm water, and teased it into a bend using my thumb and fore finger of both hands with the piece at my ear and listened to the fibres becoming distressed. By the time I did that the heat of my fingers had the plank virtually dry. I then used extremely small brass nails supplied with the kit and some fast drying PVA, worked fine for me. The Planks have to be twisted and shaped near the stern and possibly the bow depending on the geometry. Will use this technique on my future S.Y. Scotia. Secret is to have the individual planks visible under the finished hull paint just as they are in a real vessel. In old wooden hulled ships the underwater part of the hull was copper plated to inhibit marine boring organisms attacking the wood and reduce marine fouling. Even today until relatively recently modern steel hulled painted vessels had a copper based paint to reduce marine fouling, but the copper in the paint is now phased out and other more environmentally friendly chemical additives are used. Hope this helps, cheers Derek

Last edited:
J

John Huggins

Thanks Derek i will remember this, i think it will be some time fefore planking starts so i will have a go at bending planks i had left over from my Bismark.

John

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
looking good its coming along real nice

S

steve244

hi John here are a couple of links to a couple of pdf docs for planking that i have just uploaded that may help you and anyone else who needs them.

bluff_bow_planking_primer.pdf

plankingproject.pdf

cheers steve

J

John Huggins

Thanks Steve, seem to have a prob i cant open the pages.

John

S

steve244

try it this time

plankingproject.pdf

bluff_bow_planking_primer.pdf

these are pdf docs by the way john you need adobe acrobat reader installed first

P

Polux

Hi there!!

Well... I miss this fantastic build John...

Have any update?! The wait is killing me ;)

Have fun mate!

First Name
Chris
Very Nice! Looking good John, keep up the fine work.

Regards

Chris

J

John Huggins

John

\ said:
Hi there!!Well... I miss this fantastic build John...

Have any update?! The wait is killing me ;)

Have fun mate![/Q

No update yet Polux got some planking to go on but i wont start them till i get plenty of them & have a planking day. soon as it's done i will post pic's.

UOTE]

P

Polux

Just superb John!! Will be a great build, I'm sure!!

Thank you very much John!!!

PS: Now I don't to annoy you in a few days ;) ;)

Cheers

Polux