HMS Victory

OldMart

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Hi everyone. Just trying to work out things.
I am attempting to build the Caldercraft HMS Victory 1/72 scale model. I did start before I found your site, sorry about that. Anyway, I am a total novice so please bear with me. I hope that the pictures are ok. Will take more soon. MartinIMG_20230409_092325563.jpgScreenshot_20230506-091008-855.png

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Watching with interest. I always follow Victory builds. My dad started a wooden model of Victory, from plans purchased from The Woodworker magazine sometime during or very soon after WW2. The hull was carved from two pieces of pitch pine, with a plywood keel. Dad had shaped the hull and made many of the masts and spars when he was killed in a road accident. I was 9 years old, and started to try to finish the model, which didn't go very well. After a few decades and several house moves I'd lost many of the small parts, and the hull had a bad case of woodworm, so it had to be thrown out.
Pete

OldMart

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Watching with interest. I always follow Victory builds. My dad started a wooden model of Victory, from plans purchased from The Woodworker magazine sometime during or very soon after WW2. The hull was carved from two pieces of pitch pine, with a plywood keel. Dad had shaped the hull and made many of the masts and spars when he was killed in a road accident. I was 9 years old, and started to try to finish the model, which didn't go very well. After a few decades and several house moves I'd lost many of the small parts, and the hull had a bad case of woodworm, so it had to be thrown out.
Pete
What a shame.

OldMart

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Right, confession time. Due to my haste and ignorance, I went to far and put on the upper deck. So yesterday I had the heat gun out, undoing a lot of work. Huge lesson learned! I managed to get the gun deck partially planked and painted. Tomorrow see's the cleaning up of the upper deck and supports.IMG_20230506_102250911.jpgIMG_20230506_102250911.jpgIMG_20230506_102448886.jpgIMG_20230506_102537153.jpgIMG_20230506_102521628.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I'm always in awe of folk who can take pieces of wood and turn them into some magnificent models, It's a skill I'll sadly never posses, despite trying a few times over the years, huge respect to you all..

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Always loved these beautiful fully rigged man o war, count me in please

Way past my skills and importantly nerves lol

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Great to see this being built. It certainly is a Biggie.
Sorry for the blurred images? Martin
They are not blurred when tapped and opened up.
Just realised! Have I started this thread in the wrong place? Martin
We have all done it so no worries. One of the moderators will move it to an under construction thread.

OldMart

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Great to see this being built. It certainly is a Biggie.

They are not blurred when tapped and opened up.

We have all done it so no worries. One of the moderators will move it to an under construction thread.
Thanks for that. Martin.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Martin.
I have moved the post to 'ships under construction ' section.

Looks a great start.

OldMart

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Thanks Ian. Sorry for the mix up. Yes not a bad start, got a little hot headed and went too far, so been busy with the heat gun undoing? Sorted now though. Martin

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I have a mantua golden star in my stash which will be my first wood kit so i will follow along, hopefully i can pick up a few tips

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Take it step by step Martin, better slow and steady than fast and redoing it all over again. With the planking on Victory is taking shape.

Cheers,
Wabble