HMS Victory

OldMart

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Double planking, I've seen a Russian lady builder Babarov, Babushka, Bacharov or something like that on Youtube doing double planking on some of her wooden ships. The under layer almost seems rough until the second layer goes on. Then the trimmings.
How many planks can you average in a day Martin? So much work just to get the skin done. Hat tipped.

Cheers,
Wabble
Hi. I only do a couple each side. First I pin them on wet and let them dry to shape. Then I glue them into place, while getting the next lot ready. A bit fiddly I know, but I find it works okay. Martin

OldMart

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Good morning everyone. Not doing anything for a couple of days.
But! I have been pondering about some kind of turntable that I could put my model on, it would help a great deal in the future. Does anyone know if there is such a thing on the market, or would I have to make one? Advice gratefully accepted. All the best Martin.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good morning everyone. Not doing anything for a couple of days.
But! I have been pondering about some kind of turntable that I could put my model on, it would help a great deal in the future. Does anyone know if there is such a thing on the market, or would I have to make one? Advice gratefully accepted. All the best Martin.
Check out Ikea's wooden Lazy Susan mate - inexpensive, well-made and robust! I've had one for years, absolutely love it!
Steve

OldMart

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Thanks a lot Steve. It will come in handy, especially when I'm painting and doing the rigging. Have fun Martin.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Fantastic model Martin.I can't tell from the photos but are you tapering your planks?
Jon.

OldMart

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Hi Everyone. Sorry to you all about the inactivity? I haven't done a lot this past week or so. I started this project as a distraction from my Wife's illness. June is having chemotherapy, we spend a lot of time at Christies, also going to different places for blood tests an scans. I thought doing this build might take my mind off things. However I have come to the conclusion that at the moment I can't commit enough time and effort, and so I have decided to lay the Victory up, until such time's arrive for me to be able to focus properly on the build. Thanks' for the warm welcome, keep up your good work and I hopefully will see you all again sometime in the future,
Kind regards Martin.:thumb2:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
VERY sorry to hear about your wifes illness as yes my wife also has terminal cancer an yes very worryin as its difficult to conentrate on modelin but no offence meant to you or your wife but it will still be there if you pack up modeling as i thought this but then stuck back into tiger
ATB to you both
chrisb

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Sorry to hear that Martin, I hope your wife's chemo takes effect soon.
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Everyone. Sorry to you all about the inactivity? I haven't done a lot this past week or so. I started this project as a distraction from my Wife's illness. June is having chemotherapy, we spend a lot of time at Christies, also going to different places for blood tests an scans. I thought doing this build might take my mind off things. However I have come to the conclusion that at the moment I can't commit enough time and effort, and so I have decided to lay the Victory up, until such time's arrive for me to be able to focus properly on the build. Thanks' for the warm welcome, keep up your good work and I hopefully will see you all again sometime in the future,
Kind regards Martin.:thumb2:
Truly sorry for your situation Martin. Please do drop in from time to time to let us know how you are doing. You don’t have to be actively modelling to be a valued member of the forum.

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
My thoughts are with you and your wife. I hope all goes well at such a stressful time. As Tim says do stay in touch through the forum.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Like wise Martin hope things go well for your wife.
Agree with Tim and Jim, don't be a stranger.

OldMart

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Thanks Everyone. It's hard to explain. When I take her for treatment, I'm waiting, when we go for tests, I'm waiting. We get home and she falls asleep so I'm waiting again, but I'm frustrated because I can't do anything. If that makes sense.
But I shall be watching what's going on on here, I need some sanity. lol. Thanks again everyone. Martin