First Name
christopher
HI John im in on this build will be following closely
chris

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hello all you good folks, I am afraid multiple hospital stays have put a temporary halt to this build. I have had recurring attacks of cholecystitis. The cure is quite simple, remove the gall bladder. The problem is that a minimum of six weeks must pass between an attack and surgery. My body has not wanted to cooperate, attacks were about every four weeks. Luck has just been with me and I managed six weeks since he last attack. The surgeon went full steam ahead and removed my gall bladder in a rush job on Friday. I am back at home but cannot sit comfortably at the work table. I hope to get back in full production in a week or so. Until then everyone have a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Safe New Year.
John.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hope you feel better soon John. I suppose that means dietary changes as well?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
John, great to read all is well and you are back home - No finer recuperation centre!

....and yes, all the best to you for Christmas and the New Year (What ever that might bring for us all.) :thinking:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John, I just had stones and my gall bladder removed too last late August. Glad you're doing well. Home is the best recovery therapy but the visits post op check ups are a pain to wait but I get amused when the nurses try to find my veins to extract blood. Merry X'mas to you.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI John hope you feel better an have a nice xmas an new yr as well
chris an jen

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John , sorry to read you have had that, very painful, at least it is behind you. Hope you have a peaceful Christmas and a better New year.
I shall grab a seat next to Chris a knowable builder of all things floaty.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thank you everyone for your support.
TIM - yes diet changes, less fat which is a sod as I produce probably the best olive oil you can get (normally use it by the gallon).
Went back to the hospital yesterday and had the stitches removed, which surprised me. I wasn't expecting it for a good few days yet.
All the best to everyone and stay safe.
John.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Hope you are soon on the mend. Take things easy and have good Christmas.
Jim

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
P. S. I forgot to say the surgeon also gave me bad news. He cancelled Christmas Dinner. I am not allowed to deviate from the ultra strict pre surgery diet for at least another week. Does anybody know if you can get Christmas Dinner flavoured soup ? !
Cheers, John.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
P. S. I forgot to say the surgeon also gave me bad news. He cancelled Christmas Dinner. I am not allowed to deviate from the ultra strict pre surgery diet for at least another week. Does anybody know if you can get Christmas Dinner flavoured soup ? !
Cheers, John.
That’s a shame John. Turkey and sprout soup perhaps? Hope life improves soon.....

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well, I am finally able to sit and work comfortably at my work table. This excrutiatingly slow build may now progress. A total lockdown here should also help. The first news is, I have finally received a book I ordered last May. 0469B.jpg This should help me with detailing Zulu. While the book concentrates on Cossack, all the Tribal class were identical unlike some of the other destroyer classes. The book is also highlighting other mistakes/omissions on Trumpeters part. The latest I have found is the rear of the bridge area around the director tower and rangefinder. Trumpeter has it as wood planking. It was actually covered in rubber compound. This is the anti-slip coating used on most of the deck walkways. Onwards, the bridge/wheelhouse will be built separate and then fixed in place once corrected and equipped with the necessary binnacles/pelorus/binocular sights/voice pipes,etc. This is the starboard side of the bridge/wheel house. One porthole(top right). The port side is a mirror image although all photos of the ship show two portholes in this position. IMG_0471B.jpg
This is the port side after I have added the missing porthole. It looks wonky in this view, but is fine in real life.
IMG_0472B.jpg
I have also made a start on what to do with the main armament. On the left the kit offering. Overscale and lacking detail. On the right are the A/M parts. This has just had a quick splash of paint so I can actually see it as they are printed in a translucent material. Every thing will, of course, be painted properly before assembly. Here is where I could do with some help guys. Would you recommend a wash of some kind to enhance the detail as the guns will be mostly hidden in the mountings. If so, what ? I am pretty new at this wash business. All paint will be Vallejo Model Air.
IMG_0470B.jpg
And finally this is where we are up to at present. Deck Houses in place and deck fittings done. Funnels still need etch tops fitting. Note rear funnel has been shortened as per refit in June /July 1941. This was to improve arc of fire of A/A guns.
IMG_0474B.jpg
IMG_0473B.jpg
All C and Cs gratefully received.
John.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John. This is coming together. As to a wash I would recommend Vallejo Game wash. What colour is the gun going to be when painted? There are several options colour wise, but if the gun is a grey then go for black.
A78FB77A-6AB1-478D-B201-E44C0B5ACE7F.jpeg
This one!
The medium is useful for dilution if the black (or other wash) is too strong. Don’t use water, this will increase the surface tension of the wash. It will blotch on drying and not get into the detail so easily.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Great news that you are feeling better and back at this. Looks as if you have made good progress.
Jim

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi John,
Well,firstly i`d like to say that i`m pleased to hear that you`re on the mend after your health problems:thumb2:,
Secondly,I`ve just had a very enjoyable read up on this build and have to say that "It`s a right,riveting,read",the detailed extras you have amassed,and,fitted are most impressive.
I`m impressed with the size of the Zulu,bigger than i expected in this scale by far! Between yourself,Dave and Bob,i`m quite tempted to venture into a Ship build myself:thinking: ,(Considering i did my apprenticeship in Devonport Dockyard when it was M.O.D. Navy,i guess i ought to do at least ONE Ship!!)
Excellent stuff this blogg,looking forward to the next update,
Andy

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Tim, many thanks for your advice re the wash. I will see if I can get some. My problem is there are no model shops here so I have to use the interweb for everything. With Brexit most of the UK shops I use will no longer post items to the EU. Something to do with cost and restrictions.
Peter, Jim, Thank you for your comments, life is looking better by the day.
Andy, Welcome to the Cyprus Insane Asylum ( Sorry, that should be Shipyard. ) Glad you've enjoyed the catch up. Yes, the Tribal class destroyers were big. Almost the size of a light Cruiser.
Paul, Pull up a seat, all welcome.
John.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John. I think I got those paints from John who runs the site. Might be worth asking him?

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thank again Tim. I will have to check with John.
John.