HMS ZULU 14 SEPT. 1942. ( FOR SIMON ).

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Keep plugging away John. It might not feel like it sometimes, but you are making good progress and this is shaping up nicely.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Cheers for that Tim. Will certainly be finished. If not 100% perfect then to the best of my ability. Must stop taking such close-ups, makes me shudder every time I see them !!
John.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
John

Hats off to you for your attention to detail. It's coming on very nicely indeed - I wouldn't know where to start.

ATB.

Andrew

PS Sorry to hear about the mast.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks for your kind comment Andrew. I should be able to repair the mast, and then start the 101 other things that still need doing.
John.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I wouldn't worry about the close ups. I too hate the rough finish it throws up.:smiling2: By the time anyone gets that close the eyes will have trouble focusing.

Cheers,
Richard

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Richard, I think my old eyes have trouble focussing at any distance :smiling2:.
John.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thank you Jim, I am doing my best. As I have said, still a ways to go yet.
John.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hello and welcome. Just a quick catch up, starting with the saga of the broken mast. I must take full responsibility for this. A case of paying all my attention to my right hand and not watching what my left was doing. I was engrossed in fitting out the after searchlight tower and thought I would speed up the build somewhat by sending Stelios ( my chief rigging fitter ) up the foremast to start work on the signalling halyards. Suddenly there was a startled scream followed by the crack of the mast breaking and then a meaty thud of a body landing on the bridge deck. It turned out Stelios had tripped over his flip flops and fallen off the yardarm, grabbing the mast on the way down. Luckily the way he fell meant he landed on the bridge deck and not all the way down to main deck level. He was also lucky that the rangefinder/director tower has not yet been fitted, so there was nothing to impale himself on on the way down.
Climbing a mast in flip flops ?! What about Health and Safety, I hear you all say !! The only H and S any of these misfits know or care about is HIRINO (pork) SOUVLAKI (kebab). So, Stelios is now in hospital with head and upper body trauma. Nothing too serious but it has stopped any rigging for a while.
I have also been having a disagreement with the rest of the merry men. Here in Cyprus all construction/building work ceases for the whole of August. I had already factored this into the build, however the minions now demand that they get the same holidays as their school age kids which is three months in the summer. I stood fast at the one month and then they played their trump card. If they did not get their holiday they would tell the authorities where most of Stelios's trauma came from. I cannot tell a lie, it was me beating the silly SOB round the head with a paddle out of a liferaft. So, 3 months "holiday" it is. Before they left they wanted a group photo. So here are the craziest (probably only) gang of shipbuilders in Cyprus.
IMG_0535A.jpg

While I have this enforced layoff I thought I may begin painting some crew figures.
IMG_0532A.jpg

The top figures are by North Star Models. Nicely detailed but very brittle. Even before trying to remove them from the casting wafer I have a number of Long John Silvers. These are sold as Royal Navy figures. The lower figures are by Black Cat Models. Slightly less detailed but less brittle than the North Star ones. These are actually U S Navy but in this scale I don't think the difference will be noticeable.
Painting will be interesting. All my figures lately have been at 75mm scale. These are only 5 mm or so. If I get to grips with the smaller scale I think the painting should go fairly smoothly, however I can foresee the eyes are going to be a Bu**er to get right.

Jus in case anybody out there thinks I am serious. NO I am not going to try painting eyes in this scale, 75 mm scale ones were about my limit. As the saying goes-I may be Daft but I ain't Stupid.

God Evening One and All. A C&Cs welcome.
John.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
John,
Tut tut I must say I am slightly disappointed in you not painting their eyes. You just need an electron microscope and a 20 O brush lol :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Steve,
I fully expect to disappoint someone of your standard. I would probably need two microscopes, one looking into the other.
Cheers,
John.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Oooh!! My...Liliputians. John, I'd give each one of them brushes too paint their own eyes. :smiling2:

At that scale flesh tones will suffice and as long as you can get the V on the front of the blouse and a squared cape collar in the back that would be brilliant.

Cheers,
Richard

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Richard, Decidedly Liliputian !! The uniform you suggest ( The standard RN uniform ) should be quite manageable ( says he banging his head against the wall ). However the Zulu was in the Mediterranean at this time, so the normal attire would have been whites. All the photo's I have of ship's crews at sea (including some taken on Zulu) show them wearing whatever they wanted .There is one photo of a gun crew on Zulu and all 6 men are dressed differently. I will have to see what comes.
Cheers,
John.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi folks. After the long summer break, which was mainly spent reading and re-reading the book of builders blueprints I showed earlier in this blog I have come to realise that, whilst Zulu is not finished building yet, she needs to go into dry dock for a complete refit. There is so much wrong that I just cannot finish her at the moment. Some of this stems from Trumpeters crap research and some from my own numptyness ( is that a word ?). I started off going by the kit instructions and also some other builds of this kit on model shipbuilding sites. Taking it all as gospel I ploughed ahead. Turns out all the other builds were half-arsed as well ! I WILL finish this build, but at the moment I am going to do some figure painting for a change of pace and to get some enthusiasm back. Hope to see you all back here.
John.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI John hope it wont be too long as im likeing your build very much
chris