hobby Boss Il-2 Sturmovik

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All

Well I thought I better start another model, as I'm unable to finish the Stuka until the decals arrive which Steve (Stona) is kindly sending me. This is my first Hobby Boss kit and all looks good. The panel lines look crisp and there's good rivet detail. The kit comes with a separate box that includes some nice PE parts seat belts and bomb bay liners. The under carriage is white metal and tyres are vinyl with good tread detail and no horrible seam lines. They even supply the cartridge belt feeds in vinyl. The fuselage halves fit well together and I've made a start on the office with a dry run. The detail is very good even down to separate control knobs. I'm not sure as to the correct colour for the office and fuselage walls but the walk arounds that I have managed to find it appears that it was a light grey blue. So it may be a case of mixing my own colour.

Vaughan

View attachment 45999

View attachment 46000

View attachment 46001

View attachment 46002

View attachment 46003

View attachment 46004

View attachment 46005

View attachment 46006

View attachment 46007

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

_MG_0081.jpg

_MG_0079.jpg

_MG_0077.jpg

_MG_0101.jpg

V

Vajled

:flattered:

ww-2 A-10

greeeeeat choice... great

folowing this one

Roman

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top choice vaughan, one of my fave russkis. I definitely want one of these, maybe i can get a good deal at cosford! keep the pics coming , cheers tony

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
This was a real bargain Tony priced at £61 but went through the till at £49.99 I was really pleased. Good old Modelzone!

Vaughan

M

mobear

ive never seen metal landing gear on a kit before so i will be watching this,also looks a nice plane,good choice

mobear

D

dubster72

That sounds like it's going to be a very satisfying kit to build Vaughan. Lots of lovely detail & a subject you don't often see ; surprising really, as it was so widely used & greatly feared by the Germans.

Cheers

Patrick

B

Buttonman

I love the il2 a flying bulletproof box with a nasty bite front and back. Black Death...

Martin

Last edited:
B

Bunkerbarge

Interesting to hear how good the quality of this kit seems to be. They certainly seem to give you a lot for your money so it will be interesting to see how it all goes together. I've actually flown one of these a number of times in IL II and every time been surprised at how much punishment it would take and how awful it was to manoeuvre!

T

treyzx10r

Vaughan looking forward to seeing this build out,wish I could help with the office color but Russian stuff is way out of my field of knowledge.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Small update. Office components have been sprayed US grey with a drop of RLM65. I don't think it's very obvious but the grey has a very slight blue hue to it. The rear armour plate behind the fuel tank has had the top section removed as it wasn't present in the single seat version(see bottom right). The fuel tank has been sprayed flat black with silver straps.

Vaughan

View attachment 46056

_MG_0120.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Michael
Crackin'. First class job, really like the patina and shades of aluminium.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
ive never seen metal landing gear on a kit before so i will be watching this,also looks a nice plane,good choicemobear
Trumpeter have been doing it in some of their kits. Since Trumpeter and Hobbyboss are owned by the same man,share an address on an industrial park in China, and have websites owned by the same company it is hardly surprising that they may also share some manufacturing and marketing procedures.

They are still technically seperate companies.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
The office is now completed with the instrument dials in place. A dry fit in fuselage half looks good. I have also tried a dry fit with the engine cowlings. Hobby Boss as does Trumpeter like to give you the option of displaying the engine and thus provide, normally the choice of clear or normal plastic parts. With the sturmovik there are only clear parts. There are three parts of which the side cowlings need to be fitted prior to joining the two fuselage halves. This looks fiddly and will require you to line them up quite accurately. I'm not a fan of these clear parts as they are quite brittle and I think these should have been left as normal plastic and an integral part of the fuselage halves.

Vaughan

View attachment 46653

View attachment 46654

View attachment 46655

View attachment 46656

View attachment 46657

View attachment 46658

_MG_0146.jpg

_MG_0148.jpg

_MG_0152.jpg

_MG_0154.jpg

_MG_0151.jpg

_MG_0153.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cockpit looking great vaughan, its coming on nicely now. I agree with you on the clear panels , theyre a rather strange fad. Its ok to put in seperate panels, if someone wants to display their engine etc. then thats perfect, but the clear panel? its neither one thing or the other - its not as friendly as a normal plastic part if you want to build it closed and painted, but its not really clear enough to see much through it if you leave it clear and fitted, so if youre going pose it open then it might as well be painted and normal plastic ! Regardless of this the kit looks fantastic, i was very tempted to buy the 2 seat version at cosford but dave (gern) took one for the team and bought it before my willpower crumbled!!LOL!! ( besides , i'd already spent most of my allocated pennies by that time!!) cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You're doing yet another first class job there Vaughan.

Didn't we have a similar discussion about clear cowlings on one of your earlier builds? I agree with Tony - they're neither one thing nor the other. It would be much better if they made separate access panels in the normal plastic - then all the options are there for you to choose.

Gern

PS I'm not sure about taking one for the team there Tony. I AM sure you should regret not taking advantage of the bargain!