hobby Boss Il-2 Sturmovik

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I definitely do think it was a bargain dave , and i will be looking for one i'm sure!!, hopefully at the great price you got that one at!

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
I have fitted the clear engine panels and sprayed them with grey primer and on the interior side grey blue to match the fuselage walls. They look so much better for being painted. I've also made a start on the engine it's very well detailed with over 60 parts.

Vaughan

View attachment 46682

View attachment 46683

_MG_0156.jpg

_MG_0161.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good Vaughan.

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It all looks very nice. An engine with 60 parts, that's more than some of the models I have built !!

Colin M..

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi all a small amount of progress, the engine is complete with the exception of the exhaust stacks which I will fit once the fuselage is together. They are going to be a tight fit. I have already enlarged the slots that they fit through. Here's a dry fit, the air intake is also going to be fiddly to line up

Vaughan

View attachment 47395

IMG_0123.jpg

M

mobear

chuffin fantastic keep this up and you and roman might make me think again modelling (not!!!!!!)lol

mobear

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
A little progress today with the engine stays and firewall. Hobby Boss seem to have over complicated things when it comes to finishing off the engine. The engine stays need to be located on the sides and at the same time attached to the firewall and into the bargain have the correct angle to fit onto the locating pegs on each side of the fuselage. So I opted to glue the stays to the firewall and slot them straight into the fuselage closing it up temporally until it had set. Once set I removed it and the engine slotted in perfectly. The next problem was the air intake you can't fix it in position as per the instructions until it's in situ as there are two points that need to be lined up accurately. The first being the opening in the fuselage above the engine the other the front of the office floor see photo for the dry fit. I'm also going to leave nothing to chance and fit the exhaust stacks later they are avery tight fit in the fuselage slots. When I'm brave enough I will attempt to glue the lot and close up the fuselage fingers crossed all goes well. The sad thing is none of the engine is going to be visible but hey I know it's in there

Vaughan

View attachment 47804

View attachment 47805

View attachment 47806

View attachment 47807

View attachment 47808

View attachment 47809

View attachment 47810

View attachment 47811

_MG_0196.jpg

_MG_0197.jpg

_MG_0198.jpg

_MG_0199.jpg

_MG_0200.jpg

_MG_0202.jpg

_MG_0203.jpg

_MG_0205.jpg

M

mobear

what a shame about the engine its beautifully done mate as well.(just remebered you did the arado)this is going to be stunning

mobear

T

treyzx10r

Great looking Engine ,I'm with Ole shame it will be buttoned up never to be seen. We all know that and still we detail away lol!

C

CDW

Don't know how i missed this Vaughan,

i can't really say any more than has already been said about your workmanship so far ... it's top quality mate ... just keep the updates coming ok.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Fuselage is now together a small amount of filler was required. The top engine cowling is a dry fit at the moment as I might leave it open until I fit the individual exhaust stacks, they could be a little fiddly. Next step is to make a start on the wings and the PE parts for the bomb bays.

Vaughan

View attachment 48187

View attachment 48188

_MG_0249.jpg

_MG_0259.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Some more progress last night and this morning. Undercarriage wells are in and I made a start on the bomb bays and PE parts. First a dry run and then glued in position. I used pegs to hold them tight against the walls until the glue had set.

This morning I sprayed the bays with a mix of barley grey and a few drops of RLM65. The next step will be to fix this section to the fuselage.

Vaughan

View attachment 48202

View attachment 48203

View attachment 48204

View attachment 48205

View attachment 48206

View attachment 48207

View attachment 48208

View attachment 48209

_MG_0263.jpg

_MG_0265.jpg

_MG_0266.jpg

_MG_0268.jpg

_MG_0273.jpg

_MG_0276.jpg

_MG_0281.jpg

_MG_0283.jpg

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
hi there - i might regret asking this rather silly looking question but here goes .... with Vaughan's model he has placed the PE parts in the bomb bays and then painted them ...is the PE parts simply there for the extra rivet detail or there is more to come .... the model looks fantastic but the purpose of the PE parts in the bomb bay has simply escaped me ..... rgds lindsey

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Lindsey

No it's not a stupid question to ask but you are correct in that the PE parts provide extra detail in this case rivets that would'nt be possible when the parts are moulded. If you look carefully you can see the rivets prior to painting. To be honest with you there would be very little difference if you didn't use them. But as they provided them I thought I would use them.

Vaughan

Last edited by a moderator:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Wing tops are on the central section with no fit problems. But when offered up to the fuselage there are quite large gaps that do close with some considerable pressure. There are still going to be fit issues at the front underside of the wing roots and they will require some filling as there is quite a large step. I think again HobbyBoss have over complicated things which then cause fit problems.

Vaughan

View attachment 48214

View attachment 48215

View attachment 48216

View attachment 48217

View attachment 48218

View attachment 48219

View attachment 48220

_MG_0286.jpg

_MG_0287.jpg

_MG_0290.jpg

_MG_0291.jpg

_MG_0298.jpg

_MG_0299.jpg

_MG_0300.jpg

V

Vajled

I know you will solve that my friend... looking good...

I agree about Hobby Boss, to mutch complicated things... Never built one but I have heard many complains about it...

Roman